Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
MAR 2020 DCO Panel
Last Post 30 Jun 2020 12:00 PM by Chief10mm. 88 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Author Messages
Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CPORJM

--
07 Jun 2020 12:30 PM
Posted By Chief10mm on 07 Jun 2020 01:17 PM
8 years sounds like a long time, is that something that pertains to cg officer promotions solely? Seems like other branches all promote around the 6 yr mark from O-3 to O-6.

You're also talking about a much smaller service. The entire CG is only about 40,000, roughly 32,000 AD and 8,000 Reservists.  That's just slightly larger than the NYPD.  It stands to reason that if the Service is smaller, then there are fewer promotions.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
Simple1

--
07 Jun 2020 05:04 PM
Posted By Chief10mm on 07 Jun 2020 01:17 PM
8 years sounds like a long time, is that something that pertains to cg officer promotions solely? Seems like other branches all promote around the 6 yr mark from O-3 to O-6.

Pretty sure 8yrs is long. 1.5yrs O1, 2.5 O2, and I believe you get looked at around 5yrs to pin on around 6+.  But in the CG there has to be a vacancy to pick up 04 and above.  So the amount of people getting out may affect zone sizes and selection rates, but I highly doubt you spend 8yrs as a LT before getting looked at.
Zeus89

--
08 Jun 2020 08:14 AM
Any letters or emails yet? Does anyone know which we are looking for? Snail or email? Read back in some old forums and it seems mixed.
one2none

--
08 Jun 2020 10:01 AM
Posted By Zeus89 on 08 Jun 2020 09:14 AM
Any letters or emails yet? Does anyone know which we are looking for? Snail or email? Read back in some old forums and it seems mixed.

Nothing here yet. Is there a FB group or page for our upcoming class yet? Might be a good idea so we can share information too.
RJSL

--
09 Jun 2020 04:42 PM
If you guys want, I can start a WhatsApp group chat. If you got selected, just shoot me a PM with your info and I'll add you.
RJSL

--
10 Jun 2020 02:02 PM
All, FYSA I received my official commission acceptance letter today via email from my recruiter. We also have a group WhatsApp chat going for the selected DCO 09-20 members. PM me for details.
one2none

--
10 Jun 2020 07:56 PM
I got my letter via email today as well.
Chief10mm

--
10 Jun 2020 08:04 PM
Got mine today too. Anybody know if they have to do another physical? The offer letter kind of read like that. My recruiter said that means they are just reviewing the original commissioning physical, just curious if anyone heard otherwise.
one2none

--
10 Jun 2020 08:16 PM
Posted By Chief10mm on 10 Jun 2020 09:04 PM
Got mine today too. Anybody know if they have to do another physical? The offer letter kind of read like that. My recruiter said that means they are just reviewing the original commissioning physical, just curious if anyone heard otherwise.

I think they will be reviewing the original physical that was submitted with the package. This is typically the stage where people have their medical waivers looked at if they submitted any. Otherwise i don't think we have another physical before we commission. I think we do have to be weighed and possibly take a PT test though. Can anyone confirm this information?
mtb40

--
10 Jun 2020 09:49 PM
From ENS:
- 1.5 yr to O2
- 2.5 yr to O3
- 6 yrs avg for O4

As long you don't screw up... it's pretty high percentage that majority will make O3. If you don't make O4, you are processed out; boards are very competitive at that level and higher.  
Basic Member
Basic Member
hollow23

--
10 Jun 2020 10:56 PM
Posted By one2none on 10 Jun 2020 09:16 PM

I think they will be reviewing the original physical that was submitted with the package. This is typically the stage where people have their medical waivers looked at if they submitted any. Otherwise i don't think we have another physical before we commission. I think we do have to be weighed and possibly take a PT test though. Can anyone confirm this information?

u have weigh ins. no PT test until DCO school. no additional physical unless something comes up on your paperwork.
one2none

--
11 Jun 2020 06:59 AM
Posted By hollow23 on 10 Jun 2020 11:56 PM
Posted By one2none on 10 Jun 2020 09:16 PM

u have weigh ins. no PT test until DCO school. no additional physical unless something comes up on your paperwork.

Do you happen to know how the PT is scored?
ADA247

--
12 Jun 2020 03:35 PM
Finally got my letter today after quietly freaking out for two days. It was dated June 3, so not sure what happened there.
Chief10mm

--
15 Jun 2020 08:27 PM
Are we talking recurring weigh ins or just one shortly before DCO school?
Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CPORJM

--
15 Jun 2020 09:28 PM
Posted By Chief10mm on 15 Jun 2020 09:27 PM
Are we talking recurring weigh ins or just one shortly before DCO school?

Is your weight that close to the cut off?
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
Chief10mm

--
16 Jun 2020 08:19 AM
No. I am curious because the majority I have learned about this process has been on message boards.
Basic Member
Basic Member
hollow23

--
16 Jun 2020 11:02 AM
I was over my weight by 20lbs.. had to get taped
Chief10mm

--
17 Jun 2020 09:46 AM
I figured there's a mechanism to get the green light if you are someone who lifts heavy weights and you are over the weight cut off.
Basic Member
Basic Member
hollow23

--
17 Jun 2020 12:08 PM
exactly my situation.  weighed in at 215 suppose to be 197.. got taped and passed.
Chief10mm

--
18 Jun 2020 12:42 PM
Anybody know the exact commissioning date or have a POC who might have that info? I am trying to find out so I can set my last day in the army for my transition.
one2none

--
18 Jun 2020 01:13 PM
Posted By Chief10mm on 18 Jun 2020 01:42 PM
Anybody know the exact commissioning date or have a POC who might have that info? I am trying to find out so I can set my last day in the army for my transition.

In addition to this, has anyone heard anything back after they sent back the signed paperwork? I have gotten nothing back.
Basic Member
Basic Member
hollow23

--
19 Jun 2020 09:53 AM
you will get the exact commission date emailed to you. Theres nothing you can do to speed up the process.. TRUST ME lol.. just let it happen as it happens.. with covid things are really slow.
Basic Member
Basic Member
hollow23

--
19 Jun 2020 09:55 AM
Posted By one2none on 18 Jun 2020 02:13 PM
Posted By Chief10mm on 18 Jun 2020 01:42 PM

In addition to this, has anyone heard anything back after they sent back the signed paperwork? I have gotten nothing back.

no .. noone confirmed receipt.  if they need you they will call you..
RJSL

--
19 Jun 2020 03:06 PM
All quiet here.
Chief10mm

--
20 Jun 2020 08:23 AM
Hollow, what were some issues you faced while going through the transition from your previous branch to the CG? Just want to know what we might face in the coming months. My biggest concern is getting DFAS to square away pay changes.
Zeus89

--
23 Jun 2020 05:51 PM
Any alternates heard any intel? Wonder if the availability of additional billets will be positively or negatively affected by COVID? In a way, I would assume assessions may take a hit (and DoD isn't letting folks join with a history of COVID, unsure what CG is doing). But at the same time, when they project out a few alternates to eventually pick up, they have no idea if folks they thought were getting out - are staying in because of the economy.
ford333

--
26 Jun 2020 08:22 AM
Nothing here.  I have similar thoughts.  COVID extensions leaving less opportunities for us to get picked up out the alternate list is a huge concern.  

I've already engaged with some folks to strengthen my package for another go around.  Biggest issue now is fighting off PCS orders...
Basic Member
Basic Member
hollow23

--
29 Jun 2020 09:21 AM
Posted By Chief10mm on 20 Jun 2020 09:23 AM
Hollow, what were some issues you faced while going through the transition from your previous branch to the CG? Just want to know what we might face in the coming months. My biggest concern is getting DFAS to square away pay changes.
So far I havent had any issues. Just make sure your rank is correct when you sign your commissioning  docs.  if you have 4 yrs of service, make sure you have that -E with your rank.  If not you will not get paid correctly. 

Chief10mm

--
30 Jun 2020 12:00 PM
Sounds good, thanks for the heads up.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 3 << < 123

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement