Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Best station as a prior service (Navy) non rate
Last Post 26 Feb 2020 02:31 PM by jdhusker. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
figuringoutmylife

--
23 Feb 2020 08:54 PM
    What do you think the best first duty station to put as requested on my dream sheet as a prior service squid who would be a non rate?
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    24 Feb 2020 07:28 AM
    There is no best station. I could say Kodiak, Alaska and you will think why the hell would I want to go to an island in the North Pacific! Someone else can say Key West, Florida and you will think I want nothing to do with hurricanes and heat. The best place is the place you end up at and you give 100%. You will leave having learned all sorts of stuff and made lifelong friends.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    24 Feb 2020 09:26 AM
    What do you want to do in the Coast Guard? Won't make much sense to request a cutter if you want to be at a small boat station? Where would you like to try to be stationed?

It doesn't matter what your prior service was, all that matters is what you want to do now.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    24 Feb 2020 04:50 PM
    I've talked to a recruit with prior service navy and they said that they didnt want a cutter as his first unit because he spent 6 years on a carrier. Depending on what job you are looking to do, your prior experience and what part of the country you want to be in is what will make a good first unit.

What you put on your dream sheet is no guarantee that you will get that. You choose your top 4 district preferences, ashore or afloat preference, FN or SN preference and a place to write a mote specific request and why you want what you asked for. Request whatever you want on your dream sheet, just dont be disappointed if you dont get it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    nengland

--
    25 Feb 2020 06:56 AM
    A cutter. It's operational and has camaraderie. It's good experience and once you're sick of the place your name will magically pop up for A School and *poof* you're gone.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    25 Feb 2020 05:26 PM
    I'm going to say the best station in the Coast Guard, rated or not, is an air station. I am very biased though. I've never been on a cutter or a small boat station. Honor guard and air stations. Very biased but I think the quality of life at an air station is great. I don't think you need to go anywhere to get sick of it....I think that all depends on what you want to do though. I think if you know you want boats then a cutter won't be bad and you should visit an air station to see what we do.
    The Boat world and aviation world in the Coast Guard are to completely different things and have a very different feeling. If you have time, visit both before you get in. If not, try to visit both before you put your name on a list.
    Best in the Coast Guard is relative though. I think my job is the best in the world and I hope that everybody in the Coast Guard things the same of theirs...I just know this isn't possible.
    reiss_pieces11

--
    26 Feb 2020 12:07 PM
    As Old Guard and others have said, it is really up to you and what you want to do. Your dream sheet is no guarantee though. What I hear from most people is that they try to stay in the district that their family and friends live in. But if you want to travel, request somewhere unique!

I am a part of the CG Spouses and Girlfriends page on Facebook (I am a Coastie girlfriend). I see a lot of posts saying "We just got orders to xxx. Give us the good, the bad, and the ugly!" All the comments are so different. Some say "We love it here because of xxx!" and others say "It is our least favorite place because of xxx."

All things considered, it really is up to you. Maybe climate is important to you and you want warm weather, so request the districts that cover southern states. Once again, like others have said, I want to reinforce that no place is guaranteed, so try to keep an open mind. You may really like a place you thought you wouldn't.

Best of luck!

Edit:  But from what my Coastie has heard from people at his station, apparently try to stay away from Cape May.  According to his shipmates they are extremely strict lol, although he has not been stationed there.
    Keep Calm and Love a Coastie!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    26 Feb 2020 02:31 PM
    Dont judge a place until you have been there. Training centers might seem more strict because you have to essentially do everything "by the book" but doing things the correct way doesnt mean strict. Every place has it's good and bad and really it comes down to what you make of it.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement