Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
From Critical to Unavailable in a Month?
Last Post 17 May 2020 06:44 PM by NJS7x7. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
NJS7x7

--
27 Feb 2020 11:11 AM
    A month ago when I first spoke with my recruiter he said that for the Reserves ME was critical with a 9k sign on bonus. I had to wait for my MEPS physical to transfer. Now that everything is in order he is now telling me that ME is for the most part is completely filled and I need to go GM if I want to get back into the USCG. I really don't have a desire to go GM, but I would rather get back in than not. Is this normal? A small part of me is somehow doubting this sudden switch and ultimatum. FYI I am fully qualified and can likely be excused from either ME or GM "A" School as well.

EDIT: This is for Southern CA area including PSU San Pedro, LA.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    27 Feb 2020 02:54 PM
    My only suggestion is to talk to the Recruiter in Charge to get more clarification. Recruiting offices have the most up to date information on bonuses and position availability.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    27 Feb 2020 03:04 PM
    The thing to understand about the Reserves is that you are recruited to fill a specific billet at a specific unit. If there aren't any open ME billets in the L.A. area, they can't recruit you into that rating. Unlike the AD side, the Reserves cannot just stick you into a unit. There has to be an available billet. Now you can agree to go to a unit outside the L.A. area if there's an open ME billet there, but know that you'll be on the hook for transportation costs. It's very possible that there just aren't open ME billets in the L.A. area.  

As for getting an approved Rate Determination Package authorizing an A school waiver, you need to have significant background in the rating you're applying for. Waivers for ME A school are typically granted for those who are in law enforcement in their civilian career. As for GM, you would have to have significant experience in that field. I notice you said something about getting back in. I'm assuming that you were prior CG, either AD or SELRES? If you were either a GM or ME when you were in previously, then you could apply for a RDP.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    NJS7x7

--
    27 Feb 2020 03:15 PM
    I'm prior USMC infantry and was a precision marksman in the CG along with BTM. The thing is, these openings were for So CA area. I very much doubt my recruiter has any reason to push one rate over another, I just don't understand how there could be all these critical So CA ME openings one month then I'm hearing only way I get back in is to pretty much go GM. I'm asking here because I don't want to offend my recruiter, and I know I don't see the big picture, but the sudden and drastic change flipped my suspicious switch.
    NJS7x7

--
    27 Feb 2020 03:17 PM
    Jeez I just hit submit once on my phone, not sure why it posted so many. Sorry!

Old Guard here... No worries. it happens all the time. I think it hits a repeater in a tower somewhere and just says "Hey I like this, I'll post it a bajillion times!" I got rid of all of it.  But like I said, no worries at all.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    27 Feb 2020 05:33 PM
    BTM doesn’t qualify for an ME school waiver. Any rate can qualify as a BTM. What was your CG Rate, or are you saying you’re a former USMC only, in which case, how were you a CG BTM?
    NJS7x7

--
    27 Feb 2020 08:59 PM
    Question Answered*
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    27 Feb 2020 09:13 PM
    Posted By NJS7x7 on 27 Feb 2020 09:59 PM
    I was an AET2, obviously unrelated. My recruiter is confident that my infantry experience will get the waiver qualified for GM and likely ME too. I'd rather attend ME "A" School than go GM though as well as get the sign on bonus if available. My question is, would a recruiter have any reason to steer a recruit towards one rate over another, or what the list says is what he has and subject to change drastically at any time?

I know when I went USMC, recruiters, as they later told me, absolutely have incentive to get a recruit to pick one MOS over another and would sell it dearly to get the GO. So my prior bad experience comes from the USMC, not the USCG.

Sort of a moot point if there are no ME billets available, as  you stated in your original post.  I think your recruiter is trying to find something that's in line with your prior training and experience
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    NJS7x7

--
    28 Feb 2020 11:07 AM
    Question Answered*
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    28 Feb 2020 12:55 PM
    They are probably full. It’s a Reserve Billet, not AD, so there is less options at this time. If you think the Recruiter is lying, (why would they), then don’t join.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    12 Mar 2020 07:21 PM
    Also you have the ability to look at our messages and can see whether or not there is a bonus offered for specific ratings.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    NHLEO

--
    17 May 2020 01:43 PM
    Hey NJS7x7,

I just saw your newest post about your DEPOT date. Just curious, how did everything work out for you regarding this post? Did you end up getting an ME billet?
    NJS7x7

--
    17 May 2020 06:44 PM
    I never figured out the exact situation, but when I was transferred to the reserve recruiter he informed me they had no ME billets available at all in the area. It worked out for the best though as I was able to get E5 with a RDP.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement