Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Reserve Officer
Last Post 03 Apr 2020 10:02 AM by BuckyCop. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Junga

--
02 Mar 2020 05:40 PM
    Are there any current junior reserve officers on here that can provide their experience so far as a reserve officer? I would be trying to join through SRDC with no prior military experience since it is now open to non-priors. Some questions that come to mind are:

1. On average, how many hours a week do you spend doing reserve work when you are not drilling (please list your billet since this varies)

2. How often do you get activated and for how long? Have you gone OCONUS?

3. Are you provided any formal training?

4. I'm in an area where there is a PSU and a Sector and a training facility so there is plenty around. If anyone has been to a PSU as a junior officer, what was your role and how did you like it? 

5. I've heard that SRDC and other DCO officers will not be assigned to cutters and do not go over the same amount of maritime knowledge as their active duty counterparts. Can anyone confirm?

6. Most common junior reserve officer billet?

ANY and ALL information would be helpful! 

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    04 Mar 2020 09:07 AM
    Posted By Junga on 02 Mar 2020 06:40 PM
    Are there any current junior reserve officers on here that can provide their experience so far as a reserve officer? I would be trying to join through SRDC with no prior military experience since it is now open to non-priors. Some questions that come to mind are:

1. On average, how many hours a week do you spend doing reserve work when you are not drilling (please list your billet since this varies)
    - This all depends on your billet. I am in the facilities inspections at a sector. I do spend a few hours a week doing work. Some months are busier than others. Other units might be more time consuming.

2. How often do you get activated and for how long? Have you gone OCONUS?
    - There is no set schedule to know how often anyone would be activated. Most of the activations occur from natural disasters like hurricanes, etc. Port Security Units are the units that get activated the most and need to be ready in 72 hours or less. 

3. Are you provided any formal training?
    - Everyone is provided with both formal training and on the job training.

4. I'm in an area where there is a PSU and a Sector and a training facility so there is plenty around. If anyone has been to a PSU as a junior officer, what was your role and how did you like it? 
    - I have not been assigned to a PSU, but would like to in the future. I have been at a small boats station as an enlisted member and now at a sector as an officer. 

5. I've heard that SRDC and other DCO officers will not be assigned to cutters and do not go over the same amount of maritime knowledge as their active duty counterparts. Can anyone confirm?
    - Reserve officers are assigned to specific billets. I have not heard of anyone being assigned to a cutter as a reservist. It just does not work out. The scheduling of the cutter with yours just does not work out. There are a handful or billets that would allow you be assigned at a small boats station where you will get to see small boats and get underway. Also, PSUs have that ability as well if you are assigned to the shore side area. Then again, they are small boats and as a reserve officer you might not get underway every drill weekend. 

6. Most common junior reserve officer billet?
    - Its tough to say, honestly. Most JOs are assigned to a sector with the enforcement, planning, prevention, etc. Those are big departments which have their own paths. 

Reserve billets are good for 3 years. On some occasions people request a 1 year extension. With that said, every 3 years you could possibly have a complete new job. For example, I have a buddy who was in the inspection department which deals with pollution, etc, and he is now assigned to enforcement which deals with law enforcement. Each officer's path is unique

ANY and ALL information would be helpful! 

Junga

--
    15 Mar 2020 02:44 PM
    Thank you for the information! A few hours of your own time a week doing work??? Is this heavy work or more admin type duties? Is this at home or do you go in to base?

If the SRDC commission is for 4 years SELRES and can be finished with 4 years IRR but a billet is for 3 years...how does that work if you want to get out of SELRES after your initial 4 years into the IRR? Do you go to your next billet for a year only? 

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    15 Mar 2020 04:27 PM
    I'll throw in my $.02 here... Something you need to understand about being an officer is that you are subject to assignment ANYWHERE in the US and travel is on your dime. Enlisted, on the other hand, must be placed at a unit within a 100 mile round trip from their home, unless they waive this. I had some friends that were officers. One had to travel from So. Cal to Boston for about 16 months, another lived about halfway between Sacramento, CA and the SF Bay area and had to travel to Cleveland, OH for about two years. A third one promoted to LCDR last year and now has to travel from So. Cal to Honolulu to drill. If you want to be an officer and expect to promote, you'll need to budget for travel.

As for doing CG work outside of drill periods, you'll have remote access so you can log into the CG network as needed.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    15 Mar 2020 08:10 PM
    And you WILL need to log in and do all the tasks you are responsible for.
    Junga

--
    20 Mar 2020 10:27 AM
    I’ve seen people say that before but I’ve also had a current O5 tell me that reasonable commuting distance still applies for officers and I also found it in the reserve guide. If you turn down orders outside RCD then you go IRR or get out. You are not forced to go to there from what the regs say unless anyone has a reference that shows otherwise. 
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    20 Mar 2020 11:26 AM
    That's correct. However, if you opt for the IRR, you will have a very difficult time getting a qualifying year towards retirement. You need a minimum of 50 retirement points in an anniversary year to make that a qualifying year. IRR membership only gets you 15 points/year
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Junga

--
    27 Mar 2020 10:40 AM
    If I am just looking at my initial four years then it would not really be much of an issue. My goal would be to do my initial 4 years SELRES and figure out if I want to keep going. The job would be for fun and service, not a retirement.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    27 Mar 2020 09:00 PM
    It’s always better to think and plan for retirement. Why not? You have 8 years of SELRES, whats 12 more?
    BuckyCop

--
    03 Apr 2020 10:02 AM
    I agree, but when you are a Reserve officer and you live 3000 miles away from where you drill and have to fly there every month, 12 years can be a long time and a lot of hassle.

We know that pain going in, but for many it become more of a hassle than it is worth.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement