Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Color Blindness
Last Post 05 Nov 2008 04:52 AM by paddle_harder. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
paddle_harder

--
04 Nov 2008 05:08 AM
    So... To my surprise, my trip to MEPS revealed that I'm appartently Color Blind (no wonder I could never figure out a Magic Eye). I failed the "card" test... However, I've never had a problem distinguishing traffic lights, green, red, purple, blue... any colors. I plan on striking BM, and upon further investigation I've read that a BM cannot be color blind... On the other hand, another source has stated you can be a BM if you pass one of two color blindness tests. I rambled a bit here... can anyone confirm this? Thanks!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    levyii

--
    05 Nov 2008 12:07 AM
    I know you can not be color blind for BM. I just had to have my xpo email proof from my medical record I wasn't. ask a recruiter though about the test. since i'm not color blind, i'm not sure, but i think i have heard something similar to that. a recruiter will know though.

SN Levesque, Michelle
    STA Southwest Harbor, ME
    Future BM

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    05 Nov 2008 01:26 AM
    According to CIM 6000.1C, Medical Manual, para 3.F.5.b.7:

Medical Manual said...
    Color Perception. Normal color perception is required for retention of commissioned officers (certain warrant officer specialties do not require normal color perception) and selected ratings [See the Personnel Manual, COMDTINST M1000.6 (series) Chapter 5-B]. The testing for color vision must be unaided or with standard corrective lenses only. Use of any lenses (such as Chromagen) or other device to compensate for defective color vision is prohibited. Retesting for color perception is normally not required if results of previous tests are documented in the health record, and there has been no history of a change in color vision. Exception: At the time of accession medical screening (e.g. Coast Guard Academy (including cadets and OCS candidates), Cape May recruits) the PIP color vision test will be repeated and normal color vision confirmed under controlled conditions as described in Chapter 3 Section C 22.i of this manual. Examinees are qualified if they pass either the Pseudoisochromatic Plates (PIP) or the Farnsworth Lantern (FALANT) test. Examinees who fail the PIP are qualified if they pass the FALANT.

According to the 'A' School List, "The following ratings require normal color vision: AET, AMT, AST, BM, EM, ET, GM, HS, IS,IT, MK and OS."<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 11/5/2008 1:30:27 AM GMT

paddle_harder

--
    05 Nov 2008 04:50 AM
    Okay, if i read this correctly I can pass one or the other?
    paddle_harder

--
    05 Nov 2008 04:52 AM
    Haha, sorry... spoke too soon... I believe i passed the FALANT (I know i falied the Plates test) so i should be okay? 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement