Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Reserve officer experience
Last Post 10 Jun 2020 05:50 PM by Medraypa. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
RockyLedge

--
27 Mar 2020 10:04 AM
    What’s the length of your contract?
    What experiences did you have? 
    Where did you deploy to?
    Was it difficult interesting during deployments?
    Was your reserve work spilling beyond your commitment?
    We’re you ever forced to travel outside of RCD?

I’m just really interested and stuck between going forward withEnlisted or Officer since they changed the SRDC prior service requirements. There’s a lot of resources to learn about Reserve Enlisted life but so few on Reserve Officer.
    Junga

--
    27 Mar 2020 11:38 AM
    I'm not a reserve officer but I've tried to gain a as much insight as I can on this forum, reddit, and talking to another actual reserve officer. Contract length is four years in the SELRES, to my knowledge. As far as reserve work spilling beyound commitement...I've heard mixed reviews. I've heard guys say that until O4 they really didn't have to do much outside their drill weekend. I've also heard guys that are O3's say that they spend 4-10 hours a month of their time outside drill doing work. It seems to be hit or miss. As for travel and RCD...people say that you can be assigned anywhere in the US as an Officer. This is true; HOWEVER, speaking to a recruiter and the O5 I know who has been in the same area his entire 20 years, this isn't likely as long as you are in an area with various CG units. If you are in the middle of CONUS then that is different and you will most likely have to go to where opportunities are. I believe the reserve regulations state that anyone can turn down their orders if they take them outside the RCD. I believe there is a chance that you go to the IRR unless other orders are available that you can take OR you declare that you understand that you are taking orders outside the RCD and you are paying for it haha. That's about all I know though and pretty much all of it is word of mouth so don't take it as facts. I recommend you do more of your own research and come to your own conclusions.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    27 Mar 2020 02:10 PM
    Posted By Junga on 27 Mar 2020 11:38 AM
    I'm not a reserve officer but I've tried to gain a as much insight as I can on this forum, reddit, and talking to another actual reserve officer. Contract length is four years in the SELRES, to my knowledge. As far as reserve work spilling beyound commitement...I've heard mixed reviews. I've heard guys say that until O4 they really didn't have to do much outside their drill weekend. I've also heard guys that are O3's say that they spend 4-10 hours a month of their time outside drill doing work. It seems to be hit or miss. As for travel and RCD...people say that you can be assigned anywhere in the US as an Officer. This is true; HOWEVER, speaking to a recruiter and the O5 I know who has been in the same area his entire 20 years, this isn't likely as long as you are in an area with various CG units. If you are in the middle of CONUS then that is different and you will most likely have to go to where opportunities are. I believe the reserve regulations state that anyone can turn down their orders if they take them outside the RCD. I believe there is a chance that you go to the IRR unless other orders are available that you can take OR you declare that you understand that you are taking orders outside the RCD and you are paying for it haha. That's about all I know though and pretty much all of it is word of mouth so don't take it as facts. I recommend you do more of your own research and come to your own conclusions.

Everyone who responded to your questions has first hand experience in the CGR, one of whom was previously enlisted and then went the Reserve officer route.  Not sure how this is "word of mouth" and not factual.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Junga

--
    05 Apr 2020 06:36 PM
    What I mean by word of mouth is that it is from someone’s experience. I would say that someone’s experience provided on an open forum is word of mouth. Especially when I am told various pieces of information. I wanted to provide what I heard and say that the person should do their own research and come to their own conclusions. I would always verify what I find out online. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    06 Apr 2020 06:15 PM
    What’s the length of your contract?
    -officers don’t really have a contract like enlisted members do. We have 3 year tours with the possibility of getting a 1 year extension. 

What experiences did you have? 
    - I was an enlisted member for several years. I enjoyed my time as a BM. It was a hands on job that allowed me to learn about many things related to small boats. As an officer, I’m in the inspections department, which tends to be more administrative work with some days out on the field.

Where did you deploy to?
    - I have been part of operations through ADOS orders. ADOS stands for active duty operation support. Last time I did it was in Vermont and it was a ton of fun. There are plenty of opportunities to do short term active duty time like summer stock. There’s also the option to jump on a PSU deployment. 

Was it difficult interesting during deployments?
    - I kinda answered this, but I’ll do add that being away from the family can be tough. 

Was your reserve work spilling beyond your commitment?
    - oh yeah! Especially as an officer. 

We’re you ever forced to travel outside of RCD?
    -I’ve been lucky so far I’ve only traveled about 30 minutes, but I know I’ll have a unit far from home. I’m a junior officer now so eventually I’ll get something outside my RCD.

I’m glad I was enlisted for the time I was. I learned a ton and enjoyed it. As an officer now, I know it’s a new gig, but I do feel I have a good sense of what needs to be done. In my opinion, it’s going to be hard for you to get selected as an officer without prior military experience. When I attended ROCI most folks were E6-E7 with more than 10 years of experience. You can always submit a packet and start the enlistment proces. If you get selected than you’d pursue the officer route, if not then you can continue the enlistment route and apply for the next panel. 

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. 
    Medraypa

--
    10 Jun 2020 05:50 PM
    I"ll be joining the Coast Guard soon. I should have my SRDC panel date next month. I am Prior US Army Captain with multiple deployments all around the world. I love being deployed and will be attached to a PSU unit, most likely 307. I've been in the US Army Reserves about 12 years and look forward to be part of the US Coast Guard reserves. I am also prior enlisted turn Officer in my career. I held titles in Administration, Military Police, Engineers and Medical Officer.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement