Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Question on dependents
Last Post 27 Apr 2020 05:12 AM by CC2018. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DennisNY

--
10 Apr 2020 04:01 PM
    Hi all,

New to the forums, a little about myself: I’ve got 12 years active LE experience in New York and interested in joining the coast guard reserves. I have done some research on it, although I’m in the very beginning stages of pursuing this goal. My question is, I’m married with 2 kids and another on the way. I read that you can not join with more than 3 dependents, does this go for reserves or active duty only and would my wife be considered a dependent (reason I ask is because some links say “dependent other than spouse”).

Any help would be appreciated!

Stay safe
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Apr 2020 04:49 PM
    Greetings,,,, IIRC, Reserve enlistment programs allow for more dependents than AD. At one time it was up to 6, but I'm not 100% sure if that still holds true. Since you have significant LE experience, I'd suggest the Investigator (IV) rating. In this job, you'd be assigned to a Coast Guard Investigative Service (CGIS) detachment, conducting criminal investigations both internal and external to the USCG. You'd also be part of protection details for the Commandant. There's a tremendous amount of freedom in this assignment, as you're not tied to a traditional one weekend/month and two weeks/year schedule. It also gives you a great opportunity to directly use your civilian LE skill set in your CG assignment.

If this is something that interests you, let me know. I retired in December from the CGR after 20+ years, with the majority of my time in CGIS. I also retired from my civilian LE job after 31+ years. I can give you info on how the recrutment process works for CGIS in relation to the CG Reserve, etc.

Best of luck!
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    DennisNY

--
    10 Apr 2020 04:54 PM
    That would be excellent, I’m currently a Lieutenant in a specialized unit on my job, received numerous Certifications as well throughout my time here. CGIS would be perfect but I’d also be as happy with ME rating. Any type of maritime enforcement is appealing.

Thank you for the quick reply! I appreciate it, and thanks for the years of service both on the job and in the CG
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Apr 2020 08:59 PM
    Posted By DennisNY on 10 Apr 2020 05:54 PM
    That would be excellent, I’m currently a Lieutenant in a specialized unit on my job, received numerous Certifications as well throughout my time here. CGIS would be perfect but I’d also be as happy with ME rating. Any type of maritime enforcement is appealing.

Thank you for the quick reply! I appreciate it, and thanks for the years of service both on the job and in the CG

No worries! Let me know if I can help.  As a side note, I think you're overqualified for the ME rating,  It's a good fit for young guys, those that are still patrol cops
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    13 Apr 2020 12:51 PM
    Responded to your PM yesterday
    CC2018

--
    27 Apr 2020 05:12 AM
    @DennisNY, I’m in a similar situation. I just sent you a PM.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement