Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Contemplating the Reserves
Last Post 31 May 2020 06:26 PM by Upstate. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Upstate

--
11 Apr 2020 10:51 AM
    Greetings everyone,
    I hope you are healthy and well in this pandemic environment. 

I am contemplating the USCG Reserves.  I am no-prior-service and 40 years of age.  Just turned 40.  Fine shape.  BA and MPA.  Nearly a Doctorate.   18 years public administration experience.  

A few questions - 

1.  What route options are available for me?  Appears Reserve enlisted as 37 cut off for Officer/SRDC?
    2.  Is DEEP or DEPOT an option?
    3.  Assume the initial training is 3 weeks from past talks with recruiter.   Would this training be a "mixed bag" of folks age/experience wise or would I be the only geezer?  

I am sure I have a few more - but those are the ones for now.  Thanks.  
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 Apr 2020 12:34 PM
    Greetings

As far as officer programs go, not only are you beyond the age cut off, you do not have prior service. This is a requirement of the Selected Reserve Direct Commission program
    DEEP and DEPOT are two different things. DEEP is what allows you to attend DEPOT (abbreviated boot camp, designed for prior service or Reservists with specialized education or civilian job backgrounds)
    DEPOT is three weeks, and again, it would be made up of prior service or Reservists with a specialized civilian skill set or educational background. The problem you may run into is your age. Unless the requirements have changed, I believe you have to ship to DEPOT prior to your 40th b-day. The reason for this has to do with retirement. You need to have 20 qualifying years to be able to retire and you are mandated to retire upon turning age 60 (or completing 30 years of service, whichever comes first).

I recently retired from the CG Reserve after 29 years between the Army Reserve/Army National Guard and CG Reserve, so I can answer any other Reserve specific questions you may have

Good luck
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Upstate

--
    30 May 2020 06:40 AM
    For some reason, I am just seeing this reply. Thank you very much. I did find out in working with my recruiter that DEPOT is an (only) option so I am exploring. Wondered your take on these questions:

1) Question has come up on assigning rate. The closest vacancy for my preferred rate is in an area 3 hours away, nothing close by. That's likely doable (if you want something, you make it happen) but wondered in your experience the likelihood of a different station accepting a new rate in your designation and the "Transferring" potential to the closer station. Recruiter indicated a request can be made, just wondered how often this happens, likelihood of success, etc. Station A has rate, I assign there initially. Station B (closer by) is requested to accept me/my rate into their fold.
    2) Training weekends. In exploring options, the Navy Reserves has opportunities for weekend drills to be combined in 4-6 day windows in one month and then not train the next month. Does the USCGR see these opportunities for Reservists as well?
    3) I am trying to find a file, PDF, web link etc - that references a career progression guide for Reservists. Showing a sample advancement/promotional timeframe, etc. Wondered if you knew of that resource availability. This is for an officer position in USNR but something akin to this https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/officer/Detailing/rlstaffcorps/supply/Documents/Reserve%20Career%20Planning.pdf
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    30 May 2020 05:22 PM
    Greetings...

Your first question is a little unclear. If there's a unit closer, why not go there to begin with? Now if you're asking if you go to Station A initially, and then down the road can you request a transfer to Station B. That certainly can be done and it's not at all uncommon. The only two things that have to happen are your CO's approval, and there has to be an open billet at the unit you wish to transfer to. As a side note, I'd take a serious look at that three hour commute. That's six hours round trip once a month that you are not being reimbursed for (you can write it off on your taxes, but that's about it). That sounds good right now, but halfway through your enlistment are you going to really want to keep doing that (assuming you don't get a transfer to a closer unit)?

To address your second question, the opportunity to stack drills does exist, but it's at your CO's discretion. It was rather common in the unit I was in, owing to our mission. The only units that cannot do this, due to their mission, are the Port Security Units (PSU). Additionally, personnel there do not have the flexibility to schedule their own drill periods or their two week active duty period. Everyone comes in during the same weekend and same two week AD period.

As for question three, I'm not aware of any such resource. As far as enlisted advancements go, those are based on test scores, time in service, time in grade, award points, and written evaluations. Additionally, there needs to be vacant billets to promote into.

Let me know what other questions I can answer

Best of luck!
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Upstate

--
    31 May 2020 07:45 AM
    Thanks, in terms of Question 1. This had to do with my rate. My desired two rates, there are no vacancies for in the unit closest to me.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    31 May 2020 01:14 PM
    OK. So what will happen is that you will have to sign a waiver allowing the CG to assign you to a unit outside the Reasonable Commuting Distance. This called the RCD and is defined as 100 miles round trip from your zip code of residence to zip code of your unit of assignment. The CG is required to make every effort to assign you to a unit within the RCD, but you can waive that requirement. You should probably keep checking back with the closer unit so that you can request a transfer as soon as a vacancy is open. The CG will have no problem granting it, as assignments outside the RCD cost them money. While the CG will not reimburse travel costs, they WILL provide you lodging. If barracks are not available, then they have to get you lodging at a local hotel.
    Upstate

--
    31 May 2020 06:26 PM
    Thank you
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement