Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
SRDC FY21
Last Post 17 May 2020 01:51 PM by parksvillepagent. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ryoshioka

--
10 May 2020 12:03 AM
    Hi - is anyone else applying for the FY21 SRDC next month? I am a civilian with an MBA looking for any and all advice to make my package as competitive as possible. Thanks in advance!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 May 2020 11:21 AM
    Posted By ryoshioka on 10 May 2020 01:03 AM
    Hi - is anyone else applying for the FY21 SRDC next month? I am a civilian with an MBA looking for any and all advice to make my package as competitive as possible. Thanks in advance!

Greetings... Unless you have prior military service, you'll not be able to apply    https://www.gocoastguard.com/reserve-careers/officer-careers/programs/selected-reserve-direct-commission-srdc-program
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    ryoshioka

--
    10 May 2020 07:38 PM
    Thank you for replying, but I was informed by my recruiter that civilians are eligible to apply this year.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 May 2020 08:43 PM
    Posted By ryoshioka on 10 May 2020 08:38 PM
    Thank you for replying, but I was informed by my recruiter that civilians are eligible to apply this year.

Good to know.  It's traditionally been prior service only
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    10 May 2020 09:50 PM
    For good reason.
    ryoshioka

--
    10 May 2020 10:16 PM
    Thanks for the reply CCCSD - could you elaborate? I would appreciate any insight you could provide. Thanks!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    13 May 2020 09:52 PM
    Posted By CCCSD on 10 May 2020 10:50 PM
    For good reason.

If you're going to make a comment like that, please explain why.  Many people come here to gather info to decide whether or not to enlist in the CG. An answer like that doesn't help them at all.  If you feel an officer, AD or Reserve, should have enlisted experience, then say that and explain why. Giving an abrupt answer doesn't help anyone.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    13 May 2020 10:13 PM

A three week long knife, fork, and spoon school doesn’t make a NPS civilian a Leader.

That good for you?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    14 May 2020 07:12 AM
    Lets say you meet all the requirements as a civilian and get selected at the the panel. That makes you eligible to attend ROCI, which could be 3 weeks or 5 weeks depending if the program finally gets revamped. My opinion is, 3 or 5 weeks is not enough for a person to learn everything anyone needs to know about the Coast Guard's tradition and many other useful things. I am sure many agree with me on this one. It takes a lot longer than that. Traditionally, the requirement was to have some military experience under your belt because that would put you in a good spot while attending ROCI and after you graduate. ROCI should be a refresher of everything that has to do with the coast guard or the military in general. Most of the folks that get selected are E6 or above with 8 or more years of military experience. 

When I first started to explore the CG reserves I wanted to be an officer without knowing really why I wanted that. I suppose having a degree qualify for one or at least that is how I felt. I enlisted and went to BM A school. I had a ton of fun getting underway, doing boardings, getting to know people, etc. Years later, as an enlisted, I put in for a package and was turned down. The following year I was selected and went thru ROCI. Honestly, I am glad I was an enlisted member because I knew how things worked and how to address people, issues and other things.

Could you be selected? Honestly, I don't know. If you do qualify, put in for it. What is the worse that could happen? However, have in mind that if you do get selected, you will be at a greater disadvantage than those that have a military background. You can also consider putting in the package and moving with an enlistment process. You may even qualify to go to DEPOT, which is a 3 week bootcamp. As soon as you graduate whatever A school you pick, you make E4, and can put in for a package again. I'm throwing ideas out there for you. If you have any questions please ask.

Don't get discourage by harsh responses in this forum. 
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    14 May 2020 11:00 AM
    Posted By CCCSD on 13 May 2020 11:13 PM

A three week long knife, fork, and spoon school doesn’t make a NPS civilian a Leader.

That good for you?

It might surprise you to know that I don't disagree with you.  My remarks were focusing on the fact that you gave a short answer that didn't really respond to the OP's question.
    parksvillepagent

--
    17 May 2020 01:50 PM
    parksvillepagent

--
    17 May 2020 01:51 PM
    Posted By CCCSD on 13 May 2020 11:13 PM

That good for you?
    And it seems no amount of military experience has made you one, either.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement