Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Saying Goodbye and Thank you
Last Post 29 May 2020 06:20 AM by Old Guard2. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
Topic is locked
Author Messages
GoodbyeCG

--
21 May 2020 04:00 PM
    So I'm separating real soon and I stumbled upon this forum today. Just wanted to say thank you for making me absolutely certain I do not want this career.  While I have read the occasional helpful word, so much venom and sarcasm and the same attitudes that make me sick at work. "You're just being a whiny non rate for asking to be treated with respect. Get in your bilge and keep your mouth shut and clean. How dare you question if corn rows are allowed at boot camp.  Take what you get and get on with it.  You're joining for benefits, a paycheck, and some stability because you're homeless and your parents died leaving you orphaned?  You're going to let my son die because you aren't joining exclusively to serve your country."

Honestly.  This forum is just as toxic as the actual service.

Can't wait to see what sort of names I get called. 

Byeeeee. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    21 May 2020 04:51 PM
    Must be a non-rate.

No one will miss you since you’ve never posted on here.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    21 May 2020 05:00 PM
    I'm actually inclined to agree with you for the most part. Being a non rate for me was really not pleasant. I was talked down too and treated like a child even though I was married and the same age or older than the people talking down to me. But I am much happier now at my current unit.

As for the forum many of the answers are very blunt, at least that way no one can say they were lied to before joining. A lot of the answers I see come off as judgemental and condescending. I offer my input and try to be neutral and just answer the question directly with no fluff.

Good luck on the outside! I plan on sticking with it for 20 years but who knows, maybe I'll get fed up before then too.
    USCG Boat Driver

--
    22 May 2020 04:18 PM
    Good riddance. The CG will be just fine without you and your bad attitude. The fact that you are still a non-rate after 4 years says a lot about you.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    22 May 2020 08:44 PM
    Nothing wrong with a 4 year non rate if that's the path they choose. Some people join for the G.I. bill and just want to do 4 and out. Some people love their first unit and only plan on doing 4 years so they just stay there.

This forums's goal is to pass information not to judge people. I'm not ok with the way many posts in this forum come off.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    22 May 2020 09:53 PM
    OPs especially. One post just to slam everyone on here, that’s unacceptable. Shows a lack of everything, h3nce him being a non rate and a waste of taxpayer money.
    ACWest

--
    23 May 2020 05:55 AM
    Best of your luck in your future endeavors.

Your separation from service seems like a win-win for everyone. You'll be happier (maybe), the Coast Guard and your shipmates will probably be better off without you, and there will be a billet open for someone who wants to be in the service.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    23 May 2020 02:58 PM
    I don't know why there are so many rude comments on here:
    Better off without you
    Waste of taxpayer money
    Good Riddance
    No one will miss you
    These were things said here and people meant them! How much dislike in your heart do you have to have to say something like this to somebody you don't know?

Who are we as a society if we are saying things like this to people we don't even know. Would we say these things to a strangers face? Would we even say them to somebody we know? I hope not. I think we can do better as a community to bring knowledge to people who are seeking it without being rude. There is a difference between brevity, truthful, blunt answers and just spewing mean things. If you are in the Coast Guard, these answers aren't how you lead.

I'm sorry somebody had such a negative experience in a service that I love. I'm sorry their experience is nothing like mine. I love going to work every day.

The OP here didn't ask a question, and there is no reason to respond with hate. If we can help, lets respond.
    "Silence at the proper season is wisdom, and better than any speech"-Plutarch.
    USCG Boat Driver

--
    27 May 2020 10:36 PM
    Posted By jdhusker on 22 May 2020 09:44 PM
    Nothing wrong with a 4 year non rate if that's the path they choose. Some people join for the G.I. bill and just want to do 4 and out. Some people love their first unit and only plan on doing 4 years so they just stay there.

This forums's goal is to pass information not to judge people. I'm not ok with the way many posts in this forum come off.

I’ll slam anyone I damn well please, especially some little prick like the OP who comes in here and makes a post like that. Anyone who is still a non-rate after 4 years is lazy.
    USCG Boat Driver

--
    27 May 2020 10:48 PM
    Posted By mkelly on 23 May 2020 03:58 PM
    I don't know why there are so many rude comments on here:
    Better off without you
    Waste of taxpayer money
    Good Riddance
    No one will miss you
    These were things said here and people meant them! How much dislike in your heart do you have to have to say something like this to somebody you don't know?

Who are we as a society if we are saying things like this to people we don't even know. Would we say these things to a strangers face? Would we even say them to somebody we know? I hope not. I think we can do better as a community to bring knowledge to people who are seeking it without being rude. There is a difference between brevity, truthful, blunt answers and just spewing mean things. If you are in the Coast Guard, these answers aren't how you lead.

I'm sorry somebody had such a negative experience in a service that I love. I'm sorry their experience is nothing like mine. I love going to work every day.

The OP here didn't ask a question, and there is no reason to respond with hate. If we can help, lets respond.
    "Silence at the proper season is wisdom, and better than any speech"-Plutarch.

Aww, why don’t we just hold his little hand while he cries in his bilge? It’s time to stop coddling these newer Coasties, and time to start toughening them up. We have grown weak on holding people accountable. 

BTW, I have lead just fine. I have successfully held command (ashore and afloat) 4 times in my career, and counting. I don’t tolerate whining non-rates, and the supervisors who coddle/enable them. I tell it like it is, hold people accountable and I’ll be damned if some 4 year non-rate is going to come in here, create a post like that and leave without me saying anything. 
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    28 May 2020 09:56 AM
    Yep.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    28 May 2020 10:06 AM
    Very impressive. You guys did such a great job proving the original poster right.

I have to agree with jdhusker and mkelly. the poster may have painted broad strokes but if you look through this forum you will see he is correct. I have been on this forum for many years. I rarely come back now because the way some of the people treat people asking questions is just volatile. 

It is very hard to look at yourself and ask if you are really part of the problem.  If you find no validity in what the OP wrote and it is purely his tainted point of view, look really hard at what you wrote back because it isn't.  

There is a difference between being blunt and being a jerk. Some of you have not figured out the difference. 

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    28 May 2020 04:24 PM
    Learn to deal with the harshness of reality, rather than the PC Feelgood of today. Toughness is required. Being treated like a baby is detrimental to everything in life.

USCG Boat Driver

--
    28 May 2020 08:39 PM
    Posted By sardaddy on 28 May 2020 11:06 AM
    Very impressive. You guys did such a great job proving the original poster right.

I have to agree with jdhusker and mkelly. the poster may have painted broad strokes but if you look through this forum you will see he is correct. I have been on this forum for many years. I rarely come back now because the way some of the people treat people asking questions is just volatile. 

It is very hard to look at yourself and ask if you are really part of the problem.  If you find no validity in what the OP wrote and it is purely his tainted point of view, look really hard at what you wrote back because it isn't.  

There is a difference between being blunt and being a jerk. Some of you have not figured out the difference. 

So you automatically assume that this 4 year non-rate is correct, and everyone who doesn’t see it his way is wrong? You and the OP must be Democrats. For all you know, this guy could have been a problem since the day he reported aboard. It’s probably not a coincidence that he’s still a non-rate after 4 years of service.  

Keep babying these junior Coasties, and we will end up with a bunch of crybabies who will never develop the balls to be a supervisor and leader. That’s the problem with a lot of the newer members of the Chief’s Mess and Officer Corps. 
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 May 2020 06:20 AM
    Ok, that's it. Enough is enough. There are people in this thread I don't always agree with but I let it go. Now calling out political parties, making it personal, enough is enough. I'm locking this thread. Anyone has a problem with it, contact me.

Learn to behave and not call out each other with personal assumptions on any magnitude.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Topic is locked

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement