Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Advice/clarification
Last Post 19 Aug 2020 09:54 PM by SGK247. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SGK247

--
18 Aug 2020 03:44 PM
    I began the enlistment process in March and just got approved to go to MEPS after getting over the records bureaucracy hurdle. Lots of hurry up and wait, I've heard from everyone I need to get used to that. 

I've been a lifeguard for a year after graduating college and figured this would be a good way to build on that background. I have a friend at the PSU I want to join who is helping me. 
    I'm aiming at BM and plan on going active after this enlistment if I like how things are there.

I have memorized the required knowledge and can meet the physical requirements and then some. I also took a practice ASVAB and scored more than satisfactory, hopefully will perform comparably if not exceed my performance on the official pass.

I'll be visiting MEPS in a week and am told that the security clearance background check will take around 45 days after that and then I can meet for signing and swearing in to then ship out (sometime in October). I've heard I might be able to do DEPOT but I'm not sure about that being the case since I'm 24 (25 next month).

Looking forward to any clarification I can get or any advice I could get to be better prepared.

Thanks!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    18 Aug 2020 05:10 PM
    DEPOT is for those with prior military experience, law enforcement experience or work experience that directly translates to a coast guard job. Normally recruits in DEPOT are much older than regular recruits so being 24 would make you one of the youngest if you went to DEPOT.

Be prepared for your 2 week quarantine when you get to Cape May. It's hard, and not in the normal boot camp way. Your recruiter should give you information on this.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    18 Aug 2020 08:28 PM
    What makes you eligible for DEPOT?
    SGK247

--
    18 Aug 2020 08:47 PM
    I don’t know, I was questioning it myself but I figure the recruiter is a new guy so maybe he doesn’t know. I’ll find out when he hands me off like I said.
    SGK247

--
    18 Aug 2020 08:48 PM
    As for the two week quarantine I figure it just gives us all a good chance to hit the books and removes the excuse of not having enough time to practice memorizing required knowledge.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    19 Aug 2020 05:12 AM
    Also make sure you are well within the weight standards. Sitting around for 2 weeks and eating galley food tends to have a negative affect on people's weight.
    Clown628

--
    19 Aug 2020 10:25 AM
    How often do they have DEPOT classes?
    calicoastal

--
    19 Aug 2020 10:59 AM
    If you have a college degree you could be eligible for DEEP which places you in DEPOT.
    NHLEO

--
    19 Aug 2020 12:01 PM
    My understanding based on my research on the USCG website is that the only way you can go to DEPOT before you turn 27 is if you have prior military experience. 

DEPOT (Direct Entry Petty Officer Training) is the actual initial entry training (3 week boot camp).

There are three enlistment programs that will qualify you to attend DEPOT as opposed to traditional 8 week boot camp. The programs are:

1. Direct Entry Petty Officer Program (DEPOP)- this is the program that allows you to attend DEPOT and enter as an E-4 or above if you have training and experience in a job that directly translates to a USCG job rating. This allows you to bypass having to go to an A-school if you enter the coast guard under a contract to do the job you have civilian experience in. You have to be between 27-40 years old.

2. Direct Entry Education Program (DEEP)- this program allows you to attend DEPOT training and enter as an E-3, if you have 60 or more college credits. Again, You must be between 27-40 years old. 

3. Prior Military Service Program- this program allows you to go to DEPOT training and enter as an E-4, bypassing A-School. I’m pretty sure the rank and A-school waiver only apply though if you left another branch with that rank or higher, come into the USCG to do a rating that is the equivalent of your previous military job. I.E. if you were an E-4 Boatswains mate in the navy, you could enlist in the USCG as a BM, go to DEPOT, graduate as an E-4 and bypass USCG BM A-school. On the other hand if for example you left the army as an E-5 truck driver (88M) and wanted to be an ME in the USCG, you could still go to DEPOT, but you would only graduate as an E-3 and you would have to go to ME A-school in order to get E-4). There is no minimum age listed for prior military service applicants, just a maximum of 40.

So, based on what the original poster has told us about themselves, and what the USCG published, I don’t see how OP could qualify go to DEPOT. Of course I’m no expert , this is just what I’ve found from researching and talking to recruiters. For what it’s worth I’ve seen some rare posts on these forums mentioning people under 27 attending DEPOT without prior military service, so either that happened in the past when they may have had different age requirements, or perhaps they got some sort of waiver to attend while below the minimum age. 

https://www.gocoastguard.com/reserve-careers/enlisted-careers/reserve-enlisted-programs

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    19 Aug 2020 12:41 PM
    Posted By SGK247 on 18 Aug 2020 04:44 PM
    I began the enlistment process in March and just got approved to go to MEPS after getting over the records bureaucracy hurdle. Lots of hurry up and wait, I've heard from everyone I need to get used to that. 

I've been a lifeguard for a year after graduating college and figured this would be a good way to build on that background. I have a friend at the PSU I want to join who is helping me. 
    I'm aiming at BM and plan on going active after this enlistment if I like how things are there.

I have memorized the required knowledge and can meet the physical requirements and then some. I also took a practice ASVAB and scored more than satisfactory, hopefully will perform comparably if not exceed my performance on the official pass.

I'll be visiting MEPS in a week and am told that the security clearance background check will take around 45 days after that and then I can meet for signing and swearing in to then ship out (sometime in October). I've heard I might be able to do DEPOT but I'm not sure about that being the case since I'm 24 (25 next month).

Looking forward to any clarification I can get or any advice I could get to be better prepared.

Thanks!

Based on the info you provided, it seems you *may* qualify for DEPOT.  You're a college grad and going into the Reserves.  That might qualify you for the DEEP program. On another note, understand that transitioning to the Active Duty side from the Reserve side of the house is not a guarantee.  If you are able to do it, you have to take a drop a paygrade.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    SGK247

--
    19 Aug 2020 01:37 PM
    Thank you for the insights! I have more than 60 college credits since I got my Bachelors degree so it sounds like you may be right about my recruiter trying to get me in through DEEP.

I have been researching the active to reserve path and from my understanding it is dependent on the needs of the CG. I also understand it is not guaranteed and it seems the hurdle beyond billet openings and getting permission from the CO or waiting til my contract is up is getting a recruiter to process it as they do not get the same benefits that come from processing new recruits.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    19 Aug 2020 03:22 PM
    Posted By SGK247 on 19 Aug 2020 02:37 PM
    Thank you for the insights! I have more than 60 college credits since I got my Bachelors degree so it sounds like you may be right about my recruiter trying to get me in through DEEP.

I have been researching the active to reserve path and from my understanding it is dependent on the needs of the CG. I also understand it is not guaranteed and it seems the hurdle beyond billet openings and getting permission from the CO or waiting til my contract is up is getting a recruiter to process it as they do not get the same benefits that come from processing new recruits.

Integrating from the Reserve to AD has nothing to do with what "benefits" the recruiters may get.  Really I'm not sure what you're actually talking about here.  Also, you don't have to wait until your Reserve contract is up, which by the way is 8 years.  At any time you can visit a recruiter and ask to integrate into the AD side.  The only time this would create a problem for you is if your received an enlistment bonus.  This would be recouped if you don't meet the terms of the bonus agreement, which is an addendum to your contract.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    SGK247

--
    19 Aug 2020 09:54 PM
    Thank you for disabusing me of that notion, I understand now.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement