Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Any Reasurance?
Last Post 22 Sep 2020 05:54 PM by dschof. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
texanangler

--
11 Sep 2020 06:51 PM
    Hello,

I have began the recruiting process everything seemed to be going perfect until I mention childhood asthma. And now I am freaking out that I will not be able to get in.

He mentioned that he will need records now but didn't really elaborate on what he needed exactly and getting a answer from him is once in a blue moon. Should I get my records from birth to now or from 13yo to now. I haven't used a inhaler in years. Not since 13 at least but my mom has always asked that I at least get one a year this hasn't been since 18. Should I also go to my doctor and get cleared? Spirometry, Xrays of lung, etc?

Am I screwed? Should I just not even bother?

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 Sep 2020 09:40 PM
    If you mentioned it on your medical screening, you need to provide documentation from your doctor that you are no longer being treated for it. As for your recruiter not being immediately responsive, you need to understand two things: 1) You are not the only applicant  2) CG recruiters cover massive amounts of territory.  One recruiter might cover several states.  They're busy people, not to mention the fact that they have personal lives and such.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    11 Sep 2020 09:58 PM
    Provide any documentation relating to your childhood asthma and any thing that says you no longer require an inhaler. If you still have a prescription for an inhaler you may run into so difficulties. I wouldn't recommend going and spending lots of money on cleared by your doctor just yet though. MEPS will make its own determination on whether you are cleared or not and tell you what you need to do if you are not cleared. Don't quit the process just because you hit one bump.
    Army!

--
    15 Sep 2020 03:48 PM
    That is one thing that always annoyed me about my CG recruiter, she never responded. Even after I had a ship date it would take forever to get a response. The Army recruiters, however, respond so much quicker and they treat you so much better during the enlistment process. Don't be afraid to bug your recruiter until you get a response. The squeaky wheel always gets heard and it's their job to respond to you.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    15 Sep 2020 04:25 PM
    Yes, but there are far fewer CG recuriters than Army recruiters.  Example: I live in the north end of Los Angeles and there are probably five Army recruiting stations within a 15 mile radius of me.  Compare that to five CG recruting stations in all of CA.  Another example:  There are some states that don't have a CG recrutiing office, so one office may be responsible for multiple states.  My point is that CG recruiters have more on their plate than say, an Army or USN recruiter.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Army!

--
    15 Sep 2020 10:35 PM
    Posted By CPORJM on 15 Sep 2020 05:25 PM
    Yes, but there are far fewer CG recuriters than Army recruiters.  Example: I live in the north end of Los Angeles and there are probably five Army recruiting stations within a 15 mile radius of me.  Compare that to five CG recruting stations in all of CA.  Another example:  There are some states that don't have a CG recrutiing office, so one office may be responsible for multiple states.  My point is that CG recruiters have more on their plate than say, an Army or USN recruiter.

That makes sense, but they should still have the decency to reply to people. When I joined the Coast Guard I was in a state that didn’t have a recruiter and they actually flew me to another state for meps even though there was a meps an hour from my house. I just feel the Army did a better job with the whole process in general.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    16 Sep 2020 10:11 AM
    They DO reply. It takes time. This isn’t the Gen Z world of instant gratification.
    Army!

--
    17 Sep 2020 03:09 PM
    Posted By CCCSD on 16 Sep 2020 11:11 AM
    They DO reply. It takes time. This isn’t the Gen Z world of instant gratification.
    Clearly they do as I got in, but it took a lot of pestering to get them to respond especially at the beginning of the process. 

dschof

--
    22 Sep 2020 05:54 PM
    Hello Texan, 

It may depend on MEPS requirements but generally your recruiter will need the following (you should refer to your recruiter though). 
    -all records for treatment and testing of/for asthma
    -all medical records for the last five years. All medical activity. 
    - a current methacholine Pulmonary Function Test 

Depending on your pre-screen your recruiter may have serious concerns about you passing a physical at MEPS.  Keep calling and emailing.  If you don't receive an answer ask to speak with the supervisor.  Be patient but not TOO patient. 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement