Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Reserve Enlisted vs. Officer
Last Post 05 Nov 2020 01:55 PM by CPORJM. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
AFtoCGres

--
05 Oct 2020 09:54 AM
    Good Morning all,
    I'm a Prior Service AF enlisted looking to continue/finish my military career in the Coast Guard Reserves. I was originally planning on joining up on the enlisted side but have recently been encouraged to consider becoming an officer if there is an opportunity to do so. After doing a bit of research I think the Selected Reserve Direct Commission (SRDC) program would be the option I would select if I wanted to give it a shot. I read it was very competitive and I'm pumped to give it a go, but If it didn't work out I feel the enlisted side would still be a very rewarding experience. I was hoping to get some honest feedback/recommendations from some seasoned Coast Guard members both officer and enlisted if folks are willing.
    My background:
    AF Intel (Imagery) with 4 yrs Active and 8 yrs Reserve, separated a year ago as an E-7. Bachelor's degree in International Studies. Current civilian job is a Linguist for DOD working in the National Capital Region. 35 years old.
    I'm aware of the basic differences in Coast Guard Reserves for enlisted/officers, like as an enlisted member I would be stationed within 100 miles round trip if there is a unit available, but as an officer I could be assigned anywhere and would have to travel for drill at my own expense.
    I'm hoping to get some feedback on members personal experiences, any opinions on whether my background would give me a realistic shot at acceptance (I know a big factor would be my board interview), if there are any folks who are IS what they would recommend (at an unclass level of course), if anyone has gone through SRDC process and has recommendations, etc.

I would appreciate any feedback people are willing to give on my enlisted/officer dilemma as well as CG Reserve life in general. thanks in advance!
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    05 Oct 2020 03:21 PM
    I retired from the CGR as an E-7 this past December after a total of 29+ years between the ARNG/IRR/USCGR. I can help you with any CGR related questions.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    AFtoCGres

--
    03 Nov 2020 08:04 PM
    Thank you for the message Chief! Congratulations and thank you for your 29+ years of service. I appreciate your response. I guess my biggest question is what your thoughts were on the differences between the CGR and ARNG and AF/CG differences in general? was there any culture shock? do you have any advice or any key information I should keep in mind as I attempt to transition from the Air Force to the Coast Guard??
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    05 Nov 2020 01:55 PM
    Greetings. Just so we're clear, I was in the Army National Guard, not the Air Guard. As such, I can't compare AF life with CG life. One thing to know is that, for the most part, there are no separate Reserve units in the CG. The only exception is Port Security Units (PSU). Other than these, all Reservists are assigned to active duty commands. The other thing to know is that as a CG Reservist, you have more flexibility in scheduling your monthly duty and ADT (2 weeks active duty) than you would if you were in the National Guard. Those are the two things that come immediately to mind. If I think of more, I'll let you know

Regards
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement