Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
General Questions - CG Reserve after Masters Degree Completion
Last Post 28 Oct 2020 08:08 PM by boscoast. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
boscoast

--
20 Oct 2020 01:18 PM
    Hello! I was working with a recruiter in 2018 with an interest in either PA or CS, and eventually as the failed attempts to get in touch with my recruiter piled up I could no longer wait indefinitely/financially to figure out if I could join and accepted a civilian job. A major benefit of my current job is free college tuition, so I have used this time to go to school and am completing a Masters Degree in Management in fall 2021.

I would still like to join the CG but I have a few questions I thought folks here may be able to help answer. 

I plan to re-start the process with a recruiter, and I am assuming that my previously assigned recruiter may not still be in my area and I will probably get someone new? I have read here that you need to be really persistent, but when I was trying to join before I was emailing and calling my recruited over a period of months and eventually stopped hearing back and never got return calls or emails despite being persistent. Does anyone have any best practices for how to avoid this? I can't exactly just show up at the recruiting office but am worried about getting "ghosted" again.

Is it worth getting in touch with a recruiter now to re-start the process, or should I wait until spring/summer since I will not complete my degree until 2021?

I am also completing a Graduate Certificate alongside my Masters - is that of any importance or benefit worth mentioning to my recruiter? I imagine the Masters Degree is?

Finally, I have been able to spend a lot of time volunteering/working in my community throughout COVID because of the flexibility of working from home at my current civilian job. Is there anything else that I should be doing during this period while I hope to join the CG? I am likely looking to join Enlisted Reserve at this point. 
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    20 Oct 2020 05:44 PM
    Greetings... You'll need to reach out to the Recruiting Office you dealing with prior. There will be a record of you having applied previously, so just be ready to explain what happened ( you weren't getting any responses and an enticing job offer presented itself). There's a good chance the recruiter you were working with will not be assigned there, Also know that the summer months are the transfer season for CG personnel, so the recruiting office might be running shorthanded during that time period, so don't wait until next summer

You may want to consider waiting until the end of this year to reach out. Figure it will take 4-5 months to get you processed. If you time it right, you can schedule a DEPOT date right after you receive your degree.

As for mentioning the advanced education to your recruiter, it's really not going to change anything for you. Since you have 60+ units, you qualify for the Direct Entry Education Program (DEEP). This allows you to attend DEPOT, the three week boot camp as opposed to the standard eight week one. The fact that you're volunteering is good, but again not really important if you're going enlisted. That's the sort of thing that's important if you want to apply for an officer program.

Regards
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    24 Oct 2020 10:49 AM
    I would reach out now. We just entered the new fiscal year, so if you wait until summer, we are already in 3rd quarter and there might not be any more spots left for FY21.

So it would be better to reach out now, get everything going with medical and becoming eligible, and then secure a ship date for after graduation.

The year I joined I started the process in September and went to Bootcamp in June of next year.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    boscoast

--
    26 Oct 2020 11:12 AM
    Thank you both for your answers! I have a few more questions about AD versus Reserve... I did end up reaching out to the recruiting office near me.

Since CS/OS are in demand, is there any likelihood I could go active duty for CS or OS and get guaranteed a billet in the Northeast? My previous recruiter said this was a possibility, so I’m curious if that is potentially still a thing. (I'm not interested in these rates for the bonus, but because I believe I would genuinely enjoy the work in both. My wife has some family stuff with her aging parents that make it heavily preferred for us to be close enough to drive to them if needed)

I know PA has a super long waitlist for A school. I live in Boston, doesn’t look like there are any open PA reserve spots based on the recruiting website at the moment. If one /does/ open while I am finishing my degree and I managed to get it, would I just not be able to go to A school because the wait is so long? Or is the wait more of a factor for active duty non rates? I’m not sure how this works.

I’m potentially interested in YN or SK reserve, but since I already have ~10 years of work experience with administration, supporting staff, purchasing, etc I am not sure that will offer as much opportunity to learn something totally new compared to other rates. Do Boston area reservists in these roles just push paper?
    boscoast

--
    28 Oct 2020 08:08 PM
    Just wanted to post the answers a recruiter gave me today in case anyone in the future is giving this a read with similar questions

My recruiter told me that they are only able to guarantee a district for nonrates, if I did guaranteed A school for CS or OS that was the only guarantee they would be able to put in my contract. Makes sense, as critical rates I get that.

There was a reserve PA position open in my area, my recruiter told me the CG recruiting website list of what Reserve openings are is inaccurate... so sounds like it's not necessarily kept up to date. I would get an A school spot within a year of completing boot, so the long wait time is only a significant factor for active duty nonrates.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement