Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
any flu shots?
Last Post 10 Dec 2020 09:55 AM by mkelly. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
magmam

--
01 Nov 2020 10:40 AM
    For years my son received a flu shot around the end of Sept. As of Nov 1st nothing. Anyone get it yet?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    01 Nov 2020 02:30 PM
    He's received no guidance from his Base clinic?
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    01 Nov 2020 03:31 PM
    no base clinic where he is. I think he forgot all about it-hopefully he will follow up on it.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    01 Nov 2020 09:39 PM
    If he doesn't, his Command will, as it's a requirement
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    02 Nov 2020 01:58 PM
    that's what I thought. Just surprised it is so late. I thought he always got it around the end of Sept. Thanks
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Nov 2020 12:07 PM
    The later into November, the less effective. Tell him to talk to his command and, if necessary, just go to CVS and get the shot. Just retain the paperwork given so he has a record of receiving the shot.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    12 Nov 2020 06:32 PM
    He should be showing overdue in CGBI. This tracks all of his training and medical. He will be showing up as in the red and somebody in his command will contact him eventually and they may not be too happy. We end up not getting holiday routine until all of our stuff is in the green sometimes. He should contact whatever Coast Guard clinic he goes to immediately.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    13 Nov 2020 09:39 AM
    no one on his ship has gotten it, they have been in and out, believe I should hear from him shortly
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    16 Nov 2020 10:36 AM
    I thought he said something about a problem with getting shots that have not been "authorized" [a la CVS]? As of today, no one in his unit has received the flu shot and it has supposedly been brought up w/command-probably hear from him again on the weekend
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    30 Nov 2020 02:17 PM
    still waiting... https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/11/25/many-active-duty-service-members-are-still-waiting-flu-shots.html?fbclid=IwAR3T3bmDx-ZM6prXNkfJs4Ll3Tk0cl6vyfm24qmL0HtOg3VNvhIHNoMKukU
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    30 Nov 2020 03:22 PM
    They will take care of it. He’s a big boy. Let him lead his life. Make him become independent.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    30 Nov 2020 08:01 PM
    what a dopey response, he has been in 10 years and is a grown man I don't have to worry about him being independent. I was interested if other active duty had received their flu shots since it is so much later then previous years and they are on patrol for another month. Guess you couldn't answer that question...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    30 Nov 2020 09:12 PM
    I have the answer.
    You asking for your SON, then changing it, shows the Helicopter Parent that needs to step back and let others handle issues, if there are any, with THEIR Command.

I would be embarrassed if my mommy inserted herself into my or anyone else’s business, and on a public forum to boot.

Your not liking being gently told to stop mothering your son shows a lack of maturity on your part.

Cut the apron strings. Stop smothering.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    03 Dec 2020 05:59 PM
    We get our flu shots at Walgreens. There is a shortage at Base Clinics. Also I wouldn't personally worry about it. Your son's command knows their crew's readiness report.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Dec 2020 12:28 PM
    CCCSD - Mag has been a member of this page for quite some time. She is anything but a helicopter parent. It was simply a concern and a question. It has been proven, more often than not, flu vaccines received after 10/31 are less effective. Something to do with the amount of time for your body to host the virus before the flu hits its stride for that particular year. I will never understand why people have to be so blatantly rude. She was posing a question. You want to rule your eyes at it and make snide remarks to yourself, be my guest. But you have a habit of doing that a lot on this forum. Maybe you should temper that back a bit. This has never been a place to come to get your hand held and help you make it through the rigors of children in the military... But you also needn't be disrespectful to a parent with a legitimate question. If she said she were driving to his station to take him to his pediatrician to get a shot and a lollipop, go for it. She did not. So knock it off.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Dec 2020 12:30 PM
    Also, as my departed mother used to tell me all the time, and now I tell my grown son... Being a parent is 24 hours a day for the rest of your life. It isn't something you just wipe your hands of when the child leaves home. I will always be my son's mother.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CCCSD

--
    04 Dec 2020 02:29 PM
    It would seem that there is a complete failure on parents to let go of their children and enter the world. Perhaps this involvement is a leading factor as to WHY younger members of society can’t seem to function without retreating to what does mommy think...

I believe there was a war sometime back wherein young people left home and did great things, without helicopter parents. If that doesn’t agree with your feelings, then perhaps you should take a good look at how much damage this does to children trying to make their way.

These topics are nothing BUT overreaching parents who won’t cut the apron strings. It’s a disservice to their children and their movement in the world.

You can be a parent, but great parenting means knowing when to let go and not interfere.

That’s the Real World.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    10 Dec 2020 09:55 AM
    While reading this thread I can think of a couple of things. First is a saying I wish I would have adhered to when I was younger: "Don't speak unless you can improve silence" CCCSD, I don't think you have improved the silence and you have managed to be disrespectful. We are all entitled to our thoughts and opinions. You write of a time when young people went to war and did great things but I think those same young people would not speak to people like you have here. We aren't living in that world though are we? We are living in a world where people can say what they want online with few repercussions. If people were so bold to say the disrespectful things in person, that they say online, it would not be long before they would be alone without anybody to speak to.
    Maybe we can honor the people who fought for us to have what we have by continuing to make the world a better place. Use our words and ideas to make something better, not to belittle each other. We don't need to make personal attacks on each other based on our uneducated opinions. If we want the next generation to grow up to be great leaders, we need to model for them how to build effective relationships.

And on the topic of flu shots, I know our medical as been overwhelmed with COVID and everything that has brought. They are behind on a lot of things and struggling to catch up. Everything is taking a lot longer these days but are happening in due time. 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement