Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Coast Guard Auxiliary and CSPI?
Last Post 20 Feb 2021 10:11 AM by BuckyCop. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Garret_Jacobsen

--
07 Nov 2020 07:08 PM
    Hi everyone, I'm a college student hoping to apply to CSPI in about 9 months. I want to make my application as strong as possible. I hear the Coast Guard Auxiliary looks great on applications for CSPI or OCS, plus it sounds like it would be a great experience... (I hope?)

Any advice regarding this idea? If anyone is knowledgeable about the Coast Guard Auxiliary, I'd love to get some more info. It's hard to come by online.
    Duffy30

--
    25 Dec 2020 04:08 PM
    I also joined the Auxiliary while I was in college to start building my resume and also for the experiences. The only issue is that it can take some time to join, my whole process took about a year, but hopefully it's better than that. The Auxiliary is a great opportunity to start gaining experience with the Coast Guard on a volunteer basis. You can get crew qualified to go out on boats, stand radio watches, become a vessel examiner, and more. At the moment I'm working on gathering what I need for my officer application for the next SRDC board in the summer. I'm sure my experiences with the Auxiliary will help and if nothing else, it gives you an idea on how the Coast Guard functions and you get to support their mission at the same time.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    26 Dec 2020 08:55 AM
    The auxiliary would give you some insight and experience. Every auxiliary location is different however, and most of the people are retired. They don't exactly have set schedules and most of them use their own boats.

Ours helps us on Tuesdays and Thursdays, but its mainly two guys leading some others to get their boats underway, and then they help us with training (two-boat evolutions). With covid it was alot less this year but they were still able to get out there a few times. We are lucky in that we have a few that are very motivated and committed to coming out and supporting the crew.

The Officer Corp is looking for strong leaders. Having a job where you are leading a team is going to most prepare you for the interview and make your application stronger. They'll ask you real life questions, "Explain a time you had to motivate a team that wasn't motivated, how would you deal with a member that is always late, how would you deal with a member that came to you with a drug or alcohol problem?"

Know what the Officer Career tracks are. They'll want to know that you researched their jobs and what you would ideally like to do.

If it doesn't work out with OCS, you can enlist. Alot of enlisted members have degrees. I have quite a few friends that we all worked together 8-10 years ago and they are now officers, and had enlisted originally with degrees.

Be aware of how officers transfer and what their career tracks tend to be. If you aren't in aviation, you are most likely expected to get underway every other tour or every few tours until you are really on a specific track (like intel). You're also expected to have a "staff tour" every so often, and usually at headquarters (in DC).

Just make sure its really what you want to do. You can apply until your 33rd or 34th birthday (depending on what time of year your birthday is and when the class is conveneing). I had applied my first year in, and didn't get picked up, and the last few years I've gone back and forth applying again, but I just dont want to deal with the pigeon-holeing of their career tracks, and limits of their locations.

Let us know if you have any other questions

Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    jimmy41245

--
    01 Jan 2021 11:10 AM
    Hey, this is a great program run by the Auxiliary for folks looking to apply to CSPI or OCS: Coast Guard Auxiliary University Programs. If there's no unit at your college, you can join the remote one. PM if needed!

http://www.cgauxedu.us/
    BuckyCop

--
    20 Feb 2021 10:11 AM
    I joined the Auxiliary before the Coast Guard. I was still a Police Officer at the time, but after I enlisted in the Reserves I still worked hard in the Auxiliary and sought leadership opportunities. It look great on my OCS packet and I was picked up on my first try, which would be about 3 years into the Auxiliary. I was Vice Flotilla Commander and least the District in Vessel Examinations. If you seek out leadership opportunities it will be what you make it and give you a leg up.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement