Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Questions
Last Post 01 Apr 2005 06:21 AM by nwcoastiewife. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
coleman

--
29 Mar 2005 02:25 PM
    Hi all,

I am prior service Army and I think I have lots of questions.  I have contacted a recruiter in my area and have been told don't trust recruiters no offense.  I have asked specific questions in regards to being assigned to a billiet but, I think it is possible that I will have to fill a billet some where other than the Philadelphia area as a store keeper. Since I have relocated to Pennsylvania, I want to stay in this area. Should I prepare for the worst, or is there a way to negotiate for billet I want?

Also, I was a staff sgt in and I was recently told that I would have to join as a e-5 and sit for the test as storekeeper.  Please verify.

In the reserves, how hard will it be to get work like the Agr program in the army reserve units?

Thanks in advance for your input
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 3/29/2005 3:27:12 PM GMT

nwcoastiewife

--
    30 Mar 2005 03:08 PM
    HOOAH LOL well My husband is prior Army E-5 that is now in A school for the CG, he went through the pitstop school in NJ and completed that on the 18th of March. I am going to tell you about our experince and you can go from there. My husband was an 88N in the army with 6 years service and he applied for a SK postion and youwould think an 88N 6 years no problem well after staring this process in May 2004 6 month prior to ETS and doing the MEPS all over again and blah blah blah they told him that he was not quailifed for this Billet, we were shocked and them because we have 3 children that was a major problem to we had to get a waiver for that, in December we had to look at other Rates and so being that he scored so high on the ASVAD that he had to retake since it had been so long since the 1st one was taken he was able to pick other jobs so he is in OS school. Now the story about a loss in rank is correct however there is a process to keeping that much rank, what happens is if you need to choose another job to come in you will be an E-3 SN or (seaman) until you comeplet A school if you get an confirmed rate. When you complete A school then you will be a PO3 E-4. Then take the service wide exam for E-5 now the trouble you will have is some rates are very hard to get promoted, our neighbor has been in 14 years and a YM and just made E-6, my husband recuriter has been in 12years and is an E-5 and she is a storeskeeper and on her way to OCS.  Now as for you request to remain where you are ok I can speak on that, there was a guy in my husbands Pitstop class that requested and duty station and was given that in his contract so it can be done, that is going to depend on your rate. I will admit that I notice some major diffrences in the CG -vs- Army already and we love it, it is the life and I would change all that we went through to get here for no body there are so many wonderful benifits and so much to look forward to its great, If you can make this work you will never have a regret, my neighbor was a prior marine and switched too, the cg has some pretty honest recuirters they are not on a system where they have to meet numbers ever month or qtr. so they are pressed like the ARMY, NAVY, And Marines.  I hope this helps you.
    coleman

--
    30 Mar 2005 04:02 PM
    HOAH!Thanks Newcoastiewife for all you input.  As soon as I take the asvab again for the 5th time, I will negotiate for the billet in my area. The day the I left for ft campbell, I met a coast guard recruit. If I had known what I found out that day, I would have never joined the army seriously. It is nice to read that the coast guard has treated your family well. I gather that you already have quarters on a base? That is really nice! I have thought about reclassing the length of time may interfere with other things going on.  I am over the age limit for active duty, with six years in the army, did you husband meet the age requirements for an active slot?  Thanks again.

All ahead full!
    nwcoastiewife

--
    01 Apr 2005 06:21 AM
    Lets see my husband is 31years old they did not give him a hard time about that due to the fact that he passed the physical without a problem. They gave him more of a hard time with him having 4 dependents than anything.  We were already on family housing on Fort Belvior my husband ETS and then left for PitStop in feb so there was gap of about 2 months due to the school dates for his Rate, so we maintained our Army Qtrs. which we will be leaving soon do to the up coming Caost Guard orders.  Also if you have a family you will get sepration pay while you are in A school it's $250.00 an month and the other thing too is that if you or your family uses billiting it's on a sliding scale fee so like and E-3 is $25.00 a night. I hope this helps let me know if you have any questions.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement