Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
DCA Questions?
Last Post 16 Dec 2020 12:52 AM by PendletonDCA18. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
11BCG

--
13 Dec 2020 03:00 PM
    Hello all,

I have combed through the forum and found some good info on the DCA program (not sure how current some info is) and still have a few questions/ like some guidance. Current NG -60 IP/AMC with just over 750 in the -60 with about 250ish of that being IP. Also a current airline captain with approx. 2,220 fixed wing. I have reached out to my 'local' USCG recruiter over the past 2 weeks with no luck, however my guard unit is on a joint base that has a coast guard air station flying the jayhwak so will be trying to get in touch with someone over there this week as well.

I recently turned 34 so I'm worried time may not be on my side to get my app for DCA. Does the CG grant age waivers or exception to policy in the event I turn 35 while going through this process? 

My ADSO is up in February so I assume getting a conditional release should be a non-issue, still need a signed DD368? Should I stay in the Army guard while going through the DCA process so I don't have a break in service?

Would you suggest reaching out to another CG recruiter from a different location?

I read on here that if you are a DCA you will find out your airframe/duty location prior to commission. True? Does the CG use a 'dream sheet' for assignments at all? Do they take prior aircraft experience into consideration when assigning airframes?

I'm at 13 years however, less than 10 'active' and  looking at the DCA  requirements they only care about active duty time correct?

I realize some of these questions could/should be answered by a CG recruiter and hope to speak with one soon but wanted to see what some SME's on here had to say and hear from anyone who has gone through DCA recently.

Thanks for your time!

Pettusdw

--
    13 Dec 2020 03:30 PM
    I am currently waiting to see if I got selected on this past board. Yes I would definitely try to reach out to a different recruiter. When I was in Texas that recruiter said they would not take a time and service waiver, but when I moved to Washington he said they would with no problem. From what I understand about the selection process through DCA is that you will get a list of aircraft assigned to a location and you can pick either the location you want based on what’s available or the aircraft. I could be off on this but that’s how it was explained to me. I can give you the info from the recruiter I used if you want?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    13 Dec 2020 09:57 PM
    Posted By 11BCG on 13 Dec 2020 03:00 PM
    Hello all,

I have combed through the forum and found some good info on the DCA program (not sure how current some info is) and still have a few questions/ like some guidance. Current NG -60 IP/AMC with just over 750 in the -60 with about 250ish of that being IP. Also a current airline captain with approx. 2,220 fixed wing. I have reached out to my 'local' USCG recruiter over the past 2 weeks with no luck, however my guard unit is on a joint base that has a coast guard air station flying the jayhwak so will be trying to get in touch with someone over there this week as well.

I recently turned 34 so I'm worried time may not be on my side to get my app for DCA. Des the CG grant age waivers or exception to policy in the event I turn 35 while going through this process? 

My ADSO is up in February so I assume getting a conditional release should be a non-issue, still need a signed DD368? Should I stay in the Army guard while going through the DCA process so I don't have a break in service?

Would you suggest reaching out to another CG recruiter from a different location?

I read on here that if you are a DCA you will find out your airframe/duty location prior to commission. True? Does the CG use a 'dream sheet' for assignments at all? Do they take prior aircraft experience into consideration when assigning airframes?

I'm at 13 years however, less than 10 'active' and  looking at the DCA  requirements they only care about active duty time correct?

I realize some of these questions could/should be answered by a CG recruiter and hope to speak with one soon but wanted to see what some SME's on here had to say and hear from anyone who has gone through DCA recently.

Thanks for your time!

Greetings...Two things. Yes,  transfer to the Army National Guard to avoid a break in service.  When it comes time for retirement you'll appreciate that. Second, don't go recruiter shopping unless your current one is just totally unresponsive.  

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    PendletonDCA18

--
    13 Dec 2020 11:25 PM
    Coast Guard Directives are available at the following Public Site: https://www.dcms.uscg.mil/Our-Organization/Assistant-Commandant-for-C4IT-CG-6/The-Office-of-Information-Management-CG-61/About-CG-Directives-System/Commandant-Instructions/

COMDTINST M1100.2F is the Recruiting Manual. It has all the de facto information the Recruiters abide by for each program, to include DCA.
    11BCG

--
    15 Dec 2020 10:53 AM
    Thanks for all the replies so far... got in touch with the recruiter and he was helpful. Turns out the next board meets on 24 May and my 35th birthday is 25 May so he thinks I should be good age wise. Typically how long from board to finding out results? 

He wasn't sure about aircraft/location assignments though.

Thanks again
    PendletonDCA18

--
    16 Dec 2020 12:52 AM
    Take a look at the manual I recommended, it will answer a lot of your questions. For example, Age (Table 7-3 Eligibility Requirements for Direct Commission Officer Programs) specifically states: Maximum 34, as of 30 SEP of FY in which selection panel convenes. Given that you would be 35 as of 30 SEP in FY21 (for DCO 21-2) - I would double check with your recruiter that an age waiver isn't required.

There is no set time frame to find out results, but if you look at historical averages it's around 30-45 days post the board convening and then being subsequently signed off by the DHS Secretary.

Following selection the detailer will reach out a couple months later, prior to commissioning, for duty location preferences. Not everything is available, however if you have a unique circumstance (Dual Military, Exceptional Family Member Program, etc.) there is some flexibility. The last board (pure-RW candidates) received 11 choices between 60/65. To my understanding you can rank them however you like, i.e. platform or location. You'll get one of them based on the needs of the service, personal preference, etc.

If you're unsure of the duty stations and their platforms, Chuck Hill's Blog includes the USNI Aviation Order of Battle from 2018. It does a good (albeit dated) breakdown of each platform and air station. (https://chuckhillscgblog.net/2018/09/08/2018-aviation-order-of-battle-usni/). You're in good shape either way as the MH-65E comes online (Glass Cockpit) and the MH-60T Sustainment Program is acquiring 18 new hulls over FY19-20. 

Each DCA is required to attend the T-Course at ATC. I haven't heard of prior H-60 pilots receiving preferential treatment for platform one way or the other. Hope that answers some of your questions.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement