Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
LASIK surgery
Last Post 09 Jun 2009 11:44 AM by sunny717. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rmbum42

--
12 Apr 2005 02:35 PM
    Would I be disqualified if I got lasik eye surgery?  My eye sight is so bad without corrective lenses I wouldnt be able to see enough to pass water tests and such.  Is this a problem? 
    nwcoastiewife

--
    12 Apr 2005 03:30 PM
    I would check with the recuriter that is in your area and see if that would I would not see why it would but you never know. There was a guy in my husband PitStop class that made it to , like two days before graduation and was disqualified due to the fact that he had a mild reaction to shell fish ????? GO figure that one.
    BaTs-USCG

--
    22 Nov 2005 06:42 AM
    I know for a fact if you have LASIK it will disqualify you from serving on an Aircrew or as an Airman.  But as a Seaman or Fireman I don't believe it will. 

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    05 Jun 2009 09:21 PM
    PRK is the way to go. That will get you into aviation. 1 week of discomfort, 1 year till doc signs you off OK. My son had 700 and 600 now a year later 20/20 in both eyes. No more contacts. Colors are more vivid too. You'll like it. Bethesda is the place.

Coastie Dad&Mom and Sunny

Sunny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    BuckHijo

--
    05 Jun 2009 09:48 PM
    I also believe that the surgery has to be done by a military doctor, I could be wrong.

I am Bound 4 Life.....are you?
    www.bound4life.com Check it out.

FN Buckson CGC Dallas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    noagbigton

--
    06 Jun 2009 12:20 AM
    while i was in meps another guy who was joining the coast guard was getting in and he had lasik
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    06 Jun 2009 12:54 PM
    If you have Lasik surgery, you are not able to pursue the flight ratings. I have put people into the CG with Lasik. with both there are some stipulations that must be met. Your recruiter can best explain them to you.

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    PennieAnnie

--
    06 Jun 2009 06:08 PM
    Sunny717,
    Hi, I sent you a PM.....
    thanks
    Wendy

Wendy

Proud Mom of S.R. Savidge,Travis
    Go Romeo - 181

Wendy
    Coastie Mom to
    SN Travis Savidge
    USCGC Bear, Portsmouth, VA
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    07 Jun 2009 12:51 AM
    Wendy
    When is graduation?

Sunny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ramsey10

--
    07 Jun 2009 05:09 PM
    I was wondering if you get in and pass your flight physical and go through an airman program would they make you change your rate if you got it after that. My eyes aren't terrible but I'm sick of wearing glasses and I'm not a fan of putting contacts in so I was wondering if I got through all the trianing and everything would I be able to get lasik then?
    A few armed vessels, judiciously stationed at the entrances of our ports, might at a small expense be made useful sentinels of the laws.
    — Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury
    Earliest recorded reference to what would become the U.S. Coast Guard
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    07 Jun 2009 06:29 PM
    The answer is no. You cannot have lasik and fly, It has to be PRK.

Vr,

Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    PennieAnnie

--
    08 Jun 2009 06:17 PM
    Sunny717.....
    Graduation is July 2....
    thanks again for your insight on PRK,
    It is definitely encouraging to hear that my son may be able to follow his dreams after all!
    He has 20/600 I think, I forgot already what my husband said it is....but I will keep you posted on this thread if he is able to pursue aviation if he is a candidate for that surgery!

Wendy

Go Romeo - 181

Wendy
    Coastie Mom to
    SN Travis Savidge
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    08 Jun 2009 07:12 PM
    Wendy
    Enjoy Cape May. I hope you'll have great weather. Bring plenty of tissues. When you see the movie, you'll be so proud, tears will run down your face. Then you see you Seaman marching by on the field if it's not raining. He be a changed man, for the better. It will be a great day. Bring plenty of batteries for the camera. DON'T FORGET IT'S 15MPH ON BASE. STRICTLY ENFORCED.
    E-mail my son he'll give you the lowdown on PRK.
    Congratulations on your sons achievement.
    SEE joeklingner.com

Sunny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    PennieAnnie

--
    08 Jun 2009 07:40 PM
    JK....thank you sooo much!
    15mph.....reminds me of another question I have.....being semi local, we are not staying in a hotel....so where would we park? Can we park on base? And do we need any special info to do that? It seems like many stay within walking distance to the base....
    Are you kidding, I will have an entire box of tissues.....Ha Ha!
     I cried reading another moms account of Graduation when they were walking and heard cadence in the background....
    Blubbering Idiot, that will be me!!!!

Wendy

Go Romeo - 181

Wendy
    Coastie Mom to
    SN Travis Savidge
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    08 Jun 2009 07:42 PM
    Just follow the line of cars...
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Jun 2009 07:48 PM
    You are allowed on base... just have the name of your recruit and your license. I don't remember if they needed anything else... I think there is only one hotel truly within WALKING distance and I don't recommend anyone do that! Your recruit is going to have a small semi worth of stuff to carry out of there!!!! :)

SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    PennieAnnie

--
    08 Jun 2009 07:54 PM
    LOL, silly me to think we would be the only ones driving in.....sometimes I dont where my brain is....
    and yes we will be bring the minivan....my relatives will have to find their own ride!!!!! We will have a caravan just by ourselves.....I think there may be 14 of us!!!!! We will be loud and proud!
    less than 3 weeks........Yeah!
    Joe, very cool website.....thanks for sharing that.

Wendy

Go Romeo - 181

Wendy
    Coastie Mom to
    SN Travis Savidge
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    09 Jun 2009 12:41 AM
    Wendy
    Tell the man at the gate your sons name and company.
    Get there early, you'll be directed by many SR's where to drive and park.
    I wouldn't walk to the base from the hotel, too far.
    I've been to a couple graduations, outside and inside. Inside may be a little tight if you get there last minute. If you bring noise makers such as a boat horn, tell the people in front of you that it's going to be noisy and not to scare, give them a warning before you blow it. You'll have a great day to remember. Buy the CD/Video it's worth having. At my sons graduation the CG helicopter buzzed the field, what a sight. If Travis brings a friend who has no family and friends picking him/her up, you must adopt him/her for the day.
    JK

Sunny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    PennieAnnie

--
    09 Jun 2009 01:47 AM
    JK......
    Aww,,,,,that would be sad if there was someone who did not have family or friends there to see them.....Oh we will definitely adopt them for a day!!!! Does that happen often....that makes me sad....
    thanks for all the info....LOL....air horns...ha ha would not have thought of that!!!! Travis would kill us.....when he graduated from high school he asked us not to do any chants or loud obnoxious cheers.....he said it was a serious moment that he did not want us to detract from.....HA....we cheered.....but we kept it respectable.....this will be hard not to let out a Whoop Whoop....after all they have accomplished in just eight weeks!

Wendy

Go Romeo - 181

Wendy
    Coastie Mom to
    SN Travis Savidge
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    09 Jun 2009 11:44 AM
    Wendy
    The one we had talked to his wife and kids and extended family back in Oregon when he got out, ran down my battery in the cell phone. We all went to a local restaurant and after we all departed our various ways.
    JK

Sunny
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement