Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Curious about swimming at BC
Last Post 17 Jul 2018 08:10 AM by TombRaider330. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BRope

--
14 Feb 2009 01:11 AM
    Ive done a little searching on the forums about swimming at BC. Im not a great swimmer. i know the strokes but cant get the breathing down with the freestyle. im probably not going to pass the first time around. the question is... what are the odds that i will be the only recruit in my class in remedial swim class in the early AM? i wouldnt think that i would be the only one. atleast i hope not. i will keep practicing hard but i leave Feb 24th. getting tight on time.
    pdxcoastie

--
    14 Feb 2009 01:15 AM
    I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.  I've been taking some swim lessons for the past few weeks that have helped tremendously, but I still have problems with the side breathing.  From what I have heard I doubt you'll be the only one in remedial swim.  I hear remedial swim is actually a good thing because you don't have your CC's waking you up by yelling at you.  I don't know by experience though, I don't leave til March 3rd. :)
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ramsey10

--
    14 Feb 2009 04:26 AM
    Well my advice to you is practice practice practice. I've been a swim lesson instructor for 5 years and the breathing is always the hardest part for everyone. One day it'll just click though and you'll never understand why you couldn't do it before. Its all about getting used to it because it is kinda an ackward thing at first. Best of luck to both of you.

P.S. from all the research I've been doing I've heard alot of people talk about having to do remedial swim so I would say there's a good chance you wont be alone.
    A few armed vessels, judiciously stationed at the entrances of our ports, might at a small expense be made useful sentinels of the laws.
    — Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury
    Earliest recorded reference to what would become the U.S. Coast Guard
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    14 Feb 2009 05:47 AM
    Check out the book "Total Immersion" by Terry Laughlin it will help you greatly!

You can also do a google or yahoo search on the title and get some information on the material as well and for those with some more time you can find some total immersion swim instructor locations near you.

For quick starters the book says "Don't swim flat; swim on your side" It references learning lessons form boat designers and to make you body fly like a racing yacht instead of plowing along like scows or cargo barges. It states "one of the most enduring myths about the sport of swimming is that the correct position for swimming freestyle is lying on your stomach, turning your head to the side when you need to breath. The Red Cross teaches this today and most people swim this way because they just feel more comfortable and secure flat on their stomachs. The fastest swimmers in the world cut through the water on their sides, rolling from one side to the other with each stroke."

If you try it you will find it helps a lot allowing you to swim faster with fewer strokes and less energy and it will allow your head to naturally rotate to the side and up more for better breathing.

This is just one small part of the book, if you can give it a quick read and practice a few of the lessons I bet you would not need the early bird swimming during boot.

It was strongly suggested to my son by an AST Chief when he was interested in becoming an AST.

Hope it helps some.

In his life changing name, God Bless.

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 2/13/2009 10:50:48 PM GMT

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    BRope

--
    14 Feb 2009 07:17 PM
    Well i just got back from my swim instruction. This is pretty sad i suppose but 2 weeks ago i could only tread water for under a minute and only swim about 15 yards. Ive made some good progress in my opinion. I tread water for 4 minutes and swam 75 yards. Im getting there.

to pdxcoastie - I read somewhere on here someone posted a comment stating that the side stroke was there ticket to success. This is what i have found to be my best alternative to the freestyle. you might try this and see how it works for you.

to captkyguy - Thanks for the suggestions. I will certainly look into those references. Is there any future swim requirments in the CG. Somewhere on the net i came by a page that showed PFT swimming 500m in 12min. Any clue?
    MustangCharlie

--
    14 Feb 2009 08:30 PM

Sorry for the rush job. I'm trying to run some errands, and I wanted to help you with this. You said you're having problems with breathing while freestyling, so I whipped up this image to show you the basics.

Stroke 1 Basically you have your head in the water. You can either submerge your whole head, just your face, or just your mouth and nose leaving your eyes out of the water. Since you're a little green, I would recommend the latter for you. While your mouth and nose are underwater you want to exhale almost completely.

Stroke 2 Now that you're almost out of air, as you're bringing your other arm out of the water, you turn your head about 90 degrees so that you are free to inhale. Put your face back down in the water and stroke.

Repeat!

If you don't have a pool, you can fill the bath tub and practice inhaling and exhaling. Once you start practicing, I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    bigredcoastie

--
    14 Feb 2009 08:38 PM
    One other small tip I got from the swim team at the college that I live at is:

Take a breath every 3 strokes that way you will switch sides every time you breath. They said this is the best thing so that your shoulder on which ever side you breath on doesn't cramp or get sore from the extra stress on it when you lift your head. So they told me to rotate sides when I breath and the best way was breath every 3 strokes. Just a thought I would share.

I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not! But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am! -- Monty Python

Lev Andropov: [annoyed] Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!
    Armageddon

I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not! But I'm sick and tired of being told that I am! -- Monty Python

Lev Andropov: [annoyed] Components. American components, Russian Components, ALL MADE IN TAIWAN!
    Armageddon
    allsmiles

--
    14 Feb 2009 10:02 PM
    I just returned from basic and out of 14 girls I would say only 5 of us didn't have remedial swim in the morning, our company was really small in the mornings because it seemed like half the company was in remedial swim. Don't worry about it. The swim instructors are awesome from what I heard from the girls in remedial swim. Since you are up and out of the squadbay before everyone else, you get to miss the rack remedials in the morning and the other IT that might go on before breakfast. Just make sure you make your rack correctly before you leave because it will save you some angry shipmates.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    14 Feb 2009 10:55 PM
    just rememeber to try until they stop you. use your adreline to make it your 100 yards. also dont get freaked out if someone hits you swimming is a contact sport
    BRope

--
    15 Feb 2009 02:34 AM
    what about other swimming while at BC. i hear rumors of having to swim the perimeter of the pool. is this the swim circuit? if one is already not a strong swimmer what do these swims mean for that person? would i be able to use a side stroke? or if i used a "hacked-up" version of the freestyle would they notice. basically what i end up doing is not exhaling completly, trying to exhale the rest with my head out of water, then try to inhale quickly and there just isnt enough time for that.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ramsey10

--
    15 Feb 2009 04:29 AM
    My advice for learning your proper exhaling and inhaling is if you have access to a pool grab the edge of the pool and put your face in the water and then exhale and just before you run out of air bring your head up to breath. Just practice for 5 mins or so each time you swim and in no time your body should be used to the movement and it'll come natural. Also dont worry about looking silly because everyone has to start somewhere and you're obviously doing it unlike many people I've met. More power to you. Hope this helps oh and I was told the same thing as bigredcoastie when I swam in highschool and also in college.
    A few armed vessels, judiciously stationed at the entrances of our ports, might at a small expense be made useful sentinels of the laws.
    — Alexander Hamilton, the first Secretary of the Treasury
    Earliest recorded reference to what would become the U.S. Coast Guard
    dont slow down

--
    16 Feb 2009 07:21 PM
    My swim instrutor told me that when you go to take a breath, your breath side arm should be down by your side and your other arm straight out in front. Also don't forget to keep kicking when you breathe. I kept inhaling water when I would take a breath and come to find out I wasn't kicking when I took a breath and actually sank in the water just out of reach of air. Try to be as efficient with your strokes as you can. Keep your hands cupped and make sure you are making a complete stroke each time even if you have to slow down a little. I found that being efficient is so much easier than being fast.
    coastiqt

--
    16 Feb 2009 07:51 PM
    Ok, so you dont have to do the side breathing. I used free-style but kept my head out of the water. they said we didnt have to keep our head in the water. Also there are 3 different strokes you can use: freestyle, breaststroke, and side stroke. I used all 3 to get me through the course....
    BRope

--
    20 Feb 2009 02:36 PM
    well i think i have figured it out. I gave up on the freestyle for now. I finally hit the 100m mark in about 3min 30 sec. I guess that the freestyle will have to be learned at a later date. Thanks for all of your help and advice. Only 4 more days until i hit Cape May.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mrhott

--
    20 Feb 2009 06:21 PM
    Good luck on your adventure.  After reading this I was a little concerned for my daughter and while she can swim I just used positive reinforcement to tell her she can do it. rolleyes When we have camped in Tennessee she would challenge the guys to jumping off the 30-40 cliff into the deep pool by the falls, no fear but it was only a 50 meter swim the place where they could get out.   It is good to read that the swim remedial isn't all bad.smilewinkgrin

Proud Father of Delta 181 Recruit
    Graduation 3 APRIL 2009

"Life should not be  journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaining -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

Proud Father  of FS3 Hottinger, Kaeli
    USCG Cutter Mellon WHEC 717 Seattle, WA

"Life should not be  journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaining -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
    TombRaider330

--
    17 Jul 2018 08:10 AM
    This is so very helpful even if it’s from years ago! Thank you thank you!! I ship in 4-days already invested in two personal swimming coaches and they never mentioned about the proper side breathing that I just learned from here. Time to hit the pool!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement