Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Coast guard reserves and college
Last Post 26 May 2009 01:10 AM by jagr200. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Thomas239

--
13 Apr 2009 04:33 AM
    I am currently a fresman in college right now. I am really thinking about joining the coast guard reserves but I wanted to ask any current reservists if they think being a college student and a reservist is a good choice. i understand that I would be going to basic over the summer and going back to college  in the fall. i wanted to know if the reserves is really a 2 day a month, two weeks a year thing or do they call you up to do other things all the time. I am just worried that being a reservist will conflict with college too much. also, I talked to my recruiter about the Gi bill but the recruiter wouldnt really tell me anything about it. I wanted to know if there are any reservists out there going to college and do they recieve the gi bill, and how much do they recieve. from what i understand i would go back to school and then go to my A school the following summer. i have heard that you can not recieve the gi bill or any tuition assistance untill you have completed A school. is this true? thank you for your time.
    Thomas239

--
    25 Apr 2009 05:28 AM
    i cant believe no one has replied tho this. i just wanted to know if anyone who is in the coast guard reserves thinks it is a good idea to do the reserves and college at the same time, or would they advise me otherwise
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    25 Apr 2009 12:24 PM
    I have put many reserve people in that go to college. Typically you serve two days a month and two weeks out of the year. On occasion you can be called upon to help with a national emergency or other duty.

You will receive your MGIB bill and can use tuition assistance while in.

You are making a commitment to serve your country for 6 years. This commitment comes above all else. If you are needed, you will be called. It could very well conflict with college.

IT is a personal decision that you must make. Ask your recruiter to get you in touch with a couple of reservists who can give their view of the pros and cons.

Hope this helps!

Vr,
    Chuck.

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/25/2009 5:27:32 AM GMT

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JetblackSTRIFE

--
    19 May 2009 04:37 AM
    reservists... rolleyes

SNOS MILLER
    COMMSTA KODIAK
    KODIAK, ALASKA

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    19 May 2009 09:03 PM
    Jet,
    What are you attempting to say with your comment? I see nothing constructive or helpful??

Vr,

Chuck

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jagr200

--
    26 May 2009 01:10 AM
    JetblackSTRIFE said...
    reservists... rolleyes

What is wrong with a reservist? I think if you want to serve your country but can't do so full time or do not want to do it full time reserves are great. Without the reservists military branches wouldn't function as smoothly.

If I were in your situation OP I would go for it. Tuition assistance is a big bonus and you are serving your country. That in itself is a great reason. I think everyone that is able should serve our country. You take your freedoms for granted until you serve.

........ and on the seventh day Jack Bauer said, "I'll take it from here.

........ and on the seventh day Jack Bauer said, "I'll take it from here.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement