Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
memorizing your 11 general orders
Last Post 08 Jul 2017 01:15 AM by sako_hopar. 33 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
snowsnake

--
15 Apr 2009 01:30 AM
    How did you guys memorize your 11 general orders? I've been writing them down over and over and over then quizzing myself on them as i write them. this is what i used to do in German class when we had to memorize dialogues and it seems to work for my general orders also.

BASIC TRAINING ON JUNE 2nd!!!!!!!

BASIC TRAINING ON JUNE 9th!!!!!!!
    guaranteed district 17
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    CWUSCG

--
    15 Apr 2009 01:33 AM
    Flash cards and shuffle them up. Don't learn them in order. I leave next week and i STILL dont have them down solid.

Shipping out April 20th!! NOVEMBER 181!

CGC Dallas(WHEC 716)
    November-181
    "Keep our hands steady and our eyes observant. Keep our hearts pure and our course true for come hell or high water, when called by those in need we shall always be their guardians of the sea."
    snowsnake

--
    15 Apr 2009 02:09 AM
    ill definately use that method....THANKS!

BASIC TRAINING ON JUNE 2nd!!!!!!!

guaranteed district 17
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    chouvener

--
    15 Apr 2009 02:16 AM
    Flashcards is the way to go! That's how I got'm down

In it 4Life

SN Chris Houvener
    STA Sheboygan, WI

Mikey

--
    15 Apr 2009 05:59 PM
    The 11 general orders come in a handbook of sorts from your recruiter?? I am goign to see him again after i swear in next week so ill proly get it then, just curious what they are??
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    15 Apr 2009 06:06 PM
    Do you have a copy of The Helmsman, if not here's the link. You should study this until you know everything in it:

General Order 1
    To take charge of this post and all government property in view.
    General Order 2
    To walk my post in a military manner, keeping always on the alert and observing everything that takes place within sight or hearing.
    General Order 3
    To report all violations of orders I am instructed to enforce.
    General Order 4
    To repeat all calls from posts more distant from the guardhouse than my own.
    General Order 5
    To quit my post only when properly relieved.
    General Order 6
    To receive, obey and pass on to the sentry who relieves me all orders from the commanding officer, officer of the day, and officers and noncommissioned officers of the guard only.
    General Order 7
    To talk to no one except in the line of duty.
    General Order 8
    To give the alarm in case of fire or disorder.
    General Order 9
    To call the corporal of the guard in any case not covered by instructions.
    General Order 10
    To salute all officers and all colors and standards not cased.
    General Order 11
    To be especially watchful at night, and during the time for challenging, to challenge all persons on or near my post and to allow no one to pass without proper authority

10AC4ME

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 4/15/2009 12:12:09 PM GMT

Mikey

--
    15 Apr 2009 07:30 PM
    No I dont have one, thanks for the link
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    15 Apr 2009 08:17 PM
    i used flash cards to learn my 11 general orders, and i recorded it on my computer and i listen to it when i run with my ipod.

my brother thought he was funny and added the 12th order.. "dont cry when your CC's are bitching at you". lol.

Ship Date: June 9, 2009 From San Jose

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    16 Apr 2009 01:49 AM
    Pepperdoggie,

Added the helmsman to the sticky at top of post. How could I have forgot that one??

Vr,
    Chuck

Recruiting Website

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    milesvdustin

--
    16 Apr 2009 03:10 AM
    In Marine Corps boot camp we got these pounded into our heads daily for the whole 13 weeks. Sometimes at night you would hear people say one in their sleep!
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    16 Apr 2009 11:46 PM
    Found a pretty cool website while studying for my service wide exam next month. Here is a flash card link for the orders.

11 General orders

Vr,
    Chuck

Recruiting Website

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    snowsnake

--
    17 Apr 2009 12:53 AM
    that is a great link chuckles thanks!

guaranteed district 17
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    21 Apr 2009 09:46 AM
    NIIIIIICCEEEE. That's awesome Chuck

-Pain is weakness leaving the body.
     -It's 5 o'clcok somewhere.
     - So can you tell me what exactly does freedon mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    11 Aug 2012 02:34 PM
    i know this is an old thread but  i know we have to memorize the general orders but what is the beed to do it in boot? is it going to be a test on them or is it somethig like if you dont know then you will be doing more pt?
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    FloridaGirl

--
    11 Aug 2012 06:59 PM
    Basically. I would just have them memorized. Some things you will figure out when you get there.
    Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JDMD

--
    12 Aug 2012 10:24 AM
    You definatly want to know them!! Dont even think about waiting to study them til boot camp or else you will be screwed! Also you want to know your rates and ranks for officers and enlisted along with their specific collar devices, shoulder boards, ect.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    12 Aug 2012 01:36 PM
    Practice by yelling them out...quick what is general order #2? Yell it out without hesitation, proudly and confidently!!!
    I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Aug 2012 01:50 PM
    To aid in learning them some have suggested putting them on your ipod and when running, biking, working out, have the ipod on shuffle. Suddenly General Order #11, a song, another song, general order #8, etc... it makes you hear it, mixes them up and helps you remember.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    cgilliam

--
    12 Aug 2012 04:13 PM
    What I did was go to random.org, plug in the numbers 1-11 and hit generate. It would give you a number and then I'd write down, or recite it aloud. Kept it always random!
    But I've got promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Robert Frost
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    dandy

--
    12 Aug 2012 07:47 PM
    I am not leaving for boot til October so I just started studying the general orders this past week and I memorized the first two already. I actually took this quarter off of school so I can focus on all this stuff, but memorizing these GOs are the most important thing for me right now!
    Lray

--
    19 Jan 2017 03:03 PM
    Will I fail coast guard boot camp if I cannot remember (verbatim) the rank insignia and the general orders? I am terrible at remembering verbatim things. This is the reason I am not applying to be an actor.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    19 Jan 2017 09:10 PM
    Posted By Lray on 19 Jan 2017 04:03 PM
    Will I fail coast guard boot camp if I cannot remember (verbatim) the rank insignia and the general orders? I am terrible at remembering verbatim things. This is the reason I am not applying to be an actor.
    Wow  talk about Resurrection a post.
    People get reverted for not knowing those things, Thats basic required knowledge they really mean something because when you are in the fleet on watch you need  to know what to do in those situations. 

Throughout your Coast Guard career you will need to memorize hundreds of more things for service-wide exams epme test boat crew and Tower qualifications dwo test and many more. so get used to memorizing things unless you have a mental disability you should be able to memorize all of those with time, it's usually someone's lack of will because they are lazy and/or distracted. most people can memorize every stat of their favorite sports teams but when it comes to something like this that's actually important they say they can't do it when really it's due to laziness.
    "The only easy day was yesterday"
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Jan 2017 07:19 AM
    Not applying to be an actor. So the CG is a second choice to acting. Bizarre.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Lray

--
    20 Jan 2017 08:16 AM
    The only rationale to make you memorize verbatim is to flunk you, I suppose. I teach for a living and I know there is a difference between memorizing and real knowledge. They are not mutually exclusive. If there was a student who memorized every country and every capital and every political leader that doesn't show me that student understands anything about the country. If the student wrote a paper about those countries but only wrote verbatim what someone else wrote, I still don't see a student who knows anything. If that student wrote a paper with original content, that would show understanding. I wouldn't be able to give you a word for word retelling of Romeo and Juliet, but I would be able to let you know what it's about. All I wanted to find out about is whether or not you'd be failed if you said "General order #5 is to man my post until I am relieved by someone else."
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Jan 2017 11:11 AM
    It was answered... You could be, and in all likelihood would be, reverted back. You need to know PRECISELY what the General Order is. There is a difference between plagiarism, as you suggest a student writing a paper using verbatim someone else's, and knowing military knowledge. It isn't a "sorta like this" answer. There is one answer, the same answer, repeated the same way by all. Something called Uniform. If you don't think you are able to do that, then you need to reconsider the military. Teaching is a fantastic profession and one life can forever be changed by a phenomenal teacher, I was lucky to have a couple in my life that left an indelible mark on me. I am grateful for what they gave to me. So possibly that is where your calling lies and that is quite noble and nothing to be sneezed at.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    USCG Boat Driver

--
    20 Jan 2017 03:33 PM
    It's clear that you need to stick to teaching and not joining the CG. Your attitude with arguing with people about memorizing General Orders is exactly why we don't need people like you in the CG. I'm sure you would argue with your supervisor every time you are told to do something you don't want to do like cleaning the head, messcooking, or painting the side of the ship. The military is not a democracy...you do what you are told. Stay a civilian, you wouldn't make it in the CG.
    FilthyEcho1

--
    20 Jan 2017 11:53 PM
    Memorizing things can be challenging I would agree, it's challenging for anyone! But during bootcamp you will meet really smart people and then some who aren't as smart, but I guarantee you everyone you meet at boot will have memorized the general orders, some more better than others but in the end, everyone will have memorized them word for word. Repetition is key, repetition is definitely key. You can remember anything you put your mind to. Thousands have made It before you, and thousands will make it after you. If you are too lazy to memorize 11 phrases word for word what makes you think you can remmorize 24 steps to securing a life raft (not that this is a real thing, but it could be) what makes you think you could memorize the steps to putting out a fire. Sometimes things have to be in order and it's definitely important that you pay attention to detail. In civilian life many people are tasked to do simple things, in the coast guard, simple people are tasked to do many things. Think about that, and if you are a teacher I'm sure by now you have been tasked to learn many other things, such as algorithms/formulas/dates &a times, I promise the required knowledge is no different. You can do anything you set your mind to do. You can learn things, and also memorize them at the same time, not hard, like many say on the post? Many have done it before you and many will do it after you, you and o my you choose your future, good luck!
    freshwater

--
    02 Feb 2017 12:03 PM
    I used the voice memo function on my iPhone and made a track for each General Order so I can sync it to my car stereo and jam out in random order when I'm driving. Another great resource is the Quizlet smartphone app (and web-based platform) which has plenty of user-generated flashcards for the required knowledge.
    CC321

--
    09 Mar 2017 10:38 AM
    Good times!  Haha!  Watching how differently people respond to stress is interesting.
    jjordan864

--
    11 Apr 2017 01:59 PM
    reciting them at least once or twice a day is what helped me, got them down in a week, but i only know them in order, i havent tried mixing them up yet.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement