Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Reserve job/life at base, what it's like?
Last Post 21 Sep 2009 02:22 PM by southern118. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
YOK

--
19 Sep 2009 06:27 PM
    Hi!

I have so many questions to ask as I really want to support my boyfriend but I'm pretty much down myself and really don't get his job in CG. First of all, we are in a very long distance relationship and we only meet once a year and so communications is important but we rarely talk now.

He's in the reserve and only worked one weekend a month before. But two months ago he got laid off from his fulltime job and he told me he's going to do this job at CG full time instead, for 9 months. Until now I still don't get this 9-month job at CG. First 3 weeks he was gone with no communications. Once he came back he called saying he moved a lot between bases on the East coast and was pretty busy and that cellphone's not allowed on base so he couldn't call.

After that he said he was going to a traning in Petaluma for 2 weeks. I didn't know what training was but he said no cellphone allowed again and in his section there's no internet access for personal use. So two more weeks with no communications, except one time that he went back to his base in LA for some work, so I wondered if you could just get out of class like that for a day? When two weeks was over he then said the training was for two more weeks, so again I wondered how training could just be extended like that or you didn't really know how long it was for?  On the next first week, again he got out of class to go in town which confused me a bit that he's in LA again so I wasn't sure if he had the training in LA or Petaluma. Only one week passed and now he said the training was over, and not two more weeks like he claimed before.  So I don't get this training time thing at all.

Now that he's done with the training, he said he's going to work in Virginia. He said he didn't know for how long he had to be there and he said probably no cellphone allowed there so he might not be able to call much again. What it'll be like at Virginia base?

So really, can you please tell me what to expect for this 9-month job thing? Because I don't get anything from him at all eventhough I try to be supportive but I would love to know what life will be with this job of his for 9-month. I don't know what kind of job is this. It's like job/training. I also want to know how communication will be at the bases. I really don't see how cellphone is not allowed at all or no internet too. So people can't get in touch with their families? Or is it really like this? So for the next 7 months I should expect no contact from him? Most of the time when I ask him, he only says he can't tell. In the begining he didn't even tell me where he was going or when. He still doesn't say much now too.

Thank you all in advance if you could enlighten me!
    Cav289

--
    20 Sep 2009 01:47 AM
    I,ve never heard of not being allowed to have a cell phone on base. I could see not being able to use them while on duty. Somebody correct me on this if I,m wrong though.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    20 Sep 2009 01:56 AM
    It could be that he's not allowed to discuss the details of his deployment schedule or training. There are Operational Security reasons for this. Just be patient and wait for the next call.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    YOK

--
    20 Sep 2009 03:27 AM
    I understand about not being able to discuss about the details of the job but I just don't understand about cellphones not allowed to use on base. I expect him can call after duty/training but he said couldn't at all cuz not allowed on base.

So I want to know what to expect for this 9-month FT job. Is this normal for a reservist from working one weekend a week to go FT for 9 months? Will it be like this in the future too? I don't want to just wait for the phone call for not knowing anything, even whether it's gonna ring or not.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    20 Sep 2009 04:51 AM
    It can be normal for a reservist to be called to active duty. They can be recalled or simply volunteer for some extended active duty time.

As far as calling after duty hours, that's between the two of you. I'm not privy to the details of his deployment or training, so I can't speak for him.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    21 Sep 2009 02:22 PM
    he could be underway and not be able to ahve a cell phone
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement