Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Driving in NJ...
Last Post 22 Mar 2016 10:55 PM by m1ashooter. 49 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Gears

--
12 Mar 2010 12:11 PM
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Trusted Member
captkyguy

--
13 Mar 2010 03:15 AM
sunny717 said...
[quote="Captkyguy"]North is anything North of the Red River :-)[/quote]

Red River is on the other side of north. . . . Like in out of bounds.
A little late in response but I stand corrected...lol

What an awesome slide...OUCH!

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Lynn

--
18 Apr 2010 09:44 PM
I needed a good laugh today and this did the job! Gotta love "Jersey"!!!!
You and Me Together Could do Anything<3
potassium

--
02 Oct 2011 01:01 AM
Two comments...

When I lived in Florida, I watched an elderly lady, who was no younger than 70 and probably still driving her first car from 50 years ago, miss her exit off I-95. She proceeded to do a uturn into oncoming traffic, drive maybe 20mph and turn off on her missed exit. All in the midst of a hurricane season downpour.

Last time I was in Jersey, I was following a friend (NJ native) on the turnpike heading to Philly. We left Baltimore after lunch and stopped at his parent's place in Cherryhill by dinner. Not only did it take ridiculously long to get there, but it was a nightmare trying to follow him! I've never seen so many rice burners weave in and out of semi-truck infested, bumper to bumper traffic before! All while going 80mph.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Oct 2011 08:05 AM
Colin & his dad lived in Fredericksburg, VA and I lived in NJ. There were times I could make it door to door in just under 4 hours. I-95 highway number or speed limit?? Anyone's guess truly! Then there were a few trips it took 6 hours. Then of course there was the once it took me almost 14 hours! Goota love snow storms on the eastern seaboard. Then, if you know anything about the Washington DC area... the 14th street bridge was closed and everything was diverted to the Woodrow Wilson Bridge... Oh My God! If it wasn't Wednesday before Thanksgiving we would have just stopped but I had to get home to make a turkey and all the fixings! We ate thanksgiving dinner in our pajamas because we were all so exhausted from that stupid drive!! LOL But we made it in one piece and had plenty to be thankful for.
Sector NY, Staten Island
potassium

--
02 Oct 2011 12:31 PM
Old guard, that's interesting. My NJ story was from Thanksgiving 2006. The drive through DC around midnight on Wednesday was hellish! Some nutcase tried to push us off the far right lane. I had 911 set and ready to call, but we lost him by pulling off the highway and parking at a police depot. Thankfully, I wasn't driving that night.

We were so tired of the trip north on 95, we took the back roads (through Cape May!) back to Florida. Such a beautiful relaxing drive.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
02 Oct 2011 03:36 PM
I have driven Rte 1 from Maine to Florida. The problem places are Trenton, Philly, DC... it gets tricky to follow Rte 1 when all the peeps in the 'hood steal the damn street signs! My Thanksgiving nightmare was 1997 or 1998. Colin's dad transefered back to Alaska in 2000. But oh what a nightmare! Now I'm in Wisconsin... a traffic jam here means there is a car in front of you at the traffic light, oh perish the thought. LOL
Sector NY, Staten Island
potassium

--
02 Oct 2011 08:25 PM
Oh Wisconsin. Only real traffic jam I've seen there was trying to drive by the stadium in Green Bay.

We took Rt 1 for a good bit, then hopped on 17 after the bridge-tunnel. 17 is pretty much empty til you get to Charleston.
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
22 Jul 2014 08:11 AM
I agree with OldGuard and CSAyank. I grew up in NY and Miami drivers are the worse I've seen ANYWHERE. Seriously.

Also, I'm surprised that nobody mentioned that there are no left turns in NJ. Ever. Why? No clue.
I just know that I want to NJ for a wedding and drove around for a half hour before figuring out that these strange loops that emerge from the RIGHT lane somehow become the left turn. Who designed this? Dr. Seuss?

And a serious question? Why did I get yelled at when i stopped to pump my own gas? You'd think I was trying to handle an un-pinned grenade.
"Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
22 Jul 2014 08:40 AM
In NJ it is against the law to pump your own. You are simply not allowed. Stay in the car, the attendant will do it for you. You'll also notice, it is practically the only state in the Union that gas stations RARELY have convenience stores. You are there to get gas, now just quietly move along. Where as most other states, nice to enormous stores at the gas stations. Not in Jersey, nope. Turnpike and Garden State Parkway gas stations aside, I'm talking just the local gas stations, not many quickie marts.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
pepperdoggie

--
22 Jul 2014 12:08 PM
Not to mention "no left turns" in New Jersey. You are constantly turning right and circling the block to get to the other side of the street.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
22 Jul 2014 01:02 PM
Jug handles! I grew up with jug handles and circles... left turns are insane. Why cut across traffic when you can jug handle around it! makes sense to this old Jersey girl.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
captkyguy

--
22 Jul 2014 09:02 PM
No pumping your own gas in Oregon either...I am really surprised all states do not do this, treating the pumping of gas has handling a hazardous cargo.

I knew there was a good reason I did not need to visit Jersey :-)
I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
23 Jul 2014 06:45 AM
The question is, WHY cant we pump our own gas?
Is it to create jobs in NJ? move traffic along faster? what's the reasoning?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
23 Jul 2014 07:20 AM
Just illegal. Why is it illegal to marry a donkey in Arizona? Because someone made the law and everytime it comes up to a vote it passes again. No one in NJ wants to pump their own gas. My mother used to have Colin pump her gas for her when he was 9 because she didn't know how and didn't care to learn. Every once in a while someone puts it on the ballot to be allowed to pump your own... the state votes it down with an incredible margin.

They also say it keeps the price of gas lower. Insurance premiums aren't as high if the guy doing it works there and is insured by Mobil, Exxon, Marathon gas, whatever. It is a mugh higher liability if you do it. Must be true because I'm paying 3.65 and my mom is only paying 3.15.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
23 Jul 2014 08:51 AM
Oh wow. Its dang near $4 on the Island. I'd love to pay $3.15!

The liability thing makes sense. I wonder if NY would ever consider doing that? But then again I think they make up the difference big time considering its cheaper in NY to get gas with cash, which means you need to go inside to pay, which means you're more likely to have an impulse buy of candy or soda, etc.
Puddle_Pirate

--
26 Jul 2014 01:32 AM
I live in the Bronx.

It's pretty much a daily s**tshow on the roads.

Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
28 Jul 2014 06:32 AM
The Hamptons arent much better this time of the year my friend
MKgearhead

--
22 Mar 2016 11:53 AM
Basic Member
Basic Member
m1ashooter

--
22 Mar 2016 10:55 PM
I spent four days in NJ driving and you really have to drive.  The parkway to Cape May is what I mean you have to drive.  In Texas I can get on the highway and pretty much just drive in a straight line and gradual curves.  On the parkway the road is always turning a slight turn to the left or a slight turn to the right.  So you have to really pay attention and drive.  You can also drive 70 in a 65 but slow down in construction which there was a lot of.  The Troopers were also out in force.

The tolls were crazy.  We stayed a night in a friends Beach House in Avalon a few miles north of Cape May.  If you got on the parkway from Avalon then there was no toll.  If you went under the parkway to Rt 9 and went south a bit and then got on the parkway from Rt 9 there was a toll for .75 at a unmanned tollbooth.  We had to scramble for the change.

I'm also convinced that the lanes are narrower then other places I've driven.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement