Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Military Reserve and the CG Auxiliary concurently?
Last Post 06 Feb 2016 10:56 AM by eirikr1. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Cytrin

--
30 May 2009 11:06 PM
    Is it possible to be in the active military (any branch) or a military reserve component (selected reserve or ready reserve), and the Coast Guard Auxiliary concurrently?

edit: Never mind

New Member Student Study Guide - CHAPTER 3

MEMBERSHIP
    GENERAL REQUIREMENTS - The Auxiliary is an organization of volunteers. Membership is open to citizens of the United States and its territories and possessions, who are 17 years of age or older and have received a favorable determination on their Personnel Security Investigation (PSI). Facility (radio station, boat, or aircraft) ownership is desirable, but not mandatory. Individuals with special training or experience in any Auxiliary program area are also desirable for Auxiliary membership. The same is true for any individual who has specific skills helpful to the organization. Auxiliary membership is also open to all or former members of any of the uniformed services and their Reserve components.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 5/31/2009 1:41:19 AM GMT

G.DAria

--
    15 Apr 2012 08:36 AM
    Yes you can be in both the Military and the Auxiliary at the same time. But it is not Practical.
    Untied States Coast Guard Auxiliary Pittsburgh, Pa
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    15 Apr 2012 12:18 PM
    I know many people that do, or have done, both at the same time. It won't be overly difficult for you.
    You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Gandler

--
    16 Apr 2012 05:09 PM
    I know the original poster was asking generally about any branch and CGAUX.

But just out of curiosity would there actually be any point in being in the Aux. and Active Duty CG? It seems like if there was ever an emergency or search and rescue mission by your unit they would want you to be working from the Active Duty side and not the Auxiliary?
    NYBo

--
    17 Apr 2012 04:21 PM
    I think the main benefit would be to your Auxiliary flotilla/division, having a link to the gold side. Of course, that link could work both ways, if desired by the local CG leadership
    Active Prior Service

--
    23 Apr 2012 07:32 AM

Being Active Duty Coast Guard and CGAux is a bit conflicting...but the Aux Boat Crew manual states...

There are Auxiliary members who are also members of the active, reserve, or retired components of the Coast Guard. Auxiliary members who have been certified in the active duty boat crew program have valuable skills that can be used in the Auxiliary.

These members may follow an abbreviated certification process as described below to achieve the positions of Auxiliary Crew Member or Coxswain.

There is no Personal Watercraft Operator (PWO) standard qualification in the active duty Coast Guard boat program; therefore, no abbreviated certification process for PWO.

So...if someone were in the CG Aux, but also AD Coast Guard, but were not on duty at the time they responded, then they would be cut AUX orders and would conduct operations as such. 

So there is a huge benefit being active duty in the Aux.  It helps to bridge the gap between the station and the auxiliary units there.  They actually end up having an active duty representative at the unit on a consistant basis.  Being active duty Coast Guard and still Aux also means you will have the professionalism that is expected from all areas of the Coast Guard, and you will be able to pass that down onto the others in the flortilla.

Personally, I think the Auxilary is highly underestimated in what they provide to the Coast Guard and to the maritime community.  They offer countless hours of service in support of the Coast Guard, so that the active members can complete their main task and that is to save lives.  The Aux covers the boater's safety courses, free boat inspections, and are usually the representatives of the Coast Guard at boat shows.  They even teach TCT training for the Coast Guard.  If it weren't for the Auxiliary, then the active duty side of the CG would be handing all of this.  On top of that, they offer a helping hand to the inland water areas that the Active Duty Coast Guard doesn't cover.  Back home, there were CG Aux that would travel around to different lakes and do safety patrols.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    08 May 2012 03:30 PM
    The main benefit of being in the Aux. while also on active duty (regardless of service branch) is the activities offered. An active duty officer who spends all of his time at a small boat station but also likes to fly can fly with the Aux. while serving active duty at Station.

Same with an active duty Helo pilot who might find himself wanting to spend some time on the water. Yes, after putting in 65 hour work weeks might NOT want to put on yet another uniform but...

It's also a perfectly good way to meet some really neat people. I serve alongside the active duty at a small boat station as crew on a 41. I also fly with the Aux. on patrols of the Chesapeake Bay. It's not the same as actually being an active duty coast guardsman but I can say this, I value the time I get to spend with some really fine human beings. At station, I get the genuinely refreshing (and strenuous) duty of trying to keep up with a whole bunch of 20-somethings. Energy and cool stuff.

At my Aux. aviation unit I get to serve with a former Navy carrier instructor, my FC is a former Marine Corps aviator, and my immediate past FC started out as a soldier in the '50's, got out and used his GI bill to go to college. Then he joined the Air Force and retired from that as a Major and now he's got 12 years flying with the Aux.

Some really cool people, and there's many more. On a Aux. boat patrol a couple of years back I spent 8 hours with a retired Navy admiral who was a real hoot.
    skyjumperman

--
    08 Feb 2013 09:51 AM
    Hello,

I'm a Reservist, and also just joined my local flotilla. I've received conflicting information from both the AD and the Flotilla about which uniform I should be wearing. I have all my gold side uniforms, but haven't yet purchased the shoulder boards, etc, for the silver side. Some AD and Reserve shipmates that are also auxiliarists have told me I should wear my gold uniforms to flotilla activities, as that will mark me as a link between both sides of team CG. However, one of the flotilla members almost seemed offended that I was wearing the gold uniform instead of the silver...can someone point me to a manual that would address this? I can't seem to find any answers as to if I'm wrong to wear my gold side uniform at flotilla meetings.

Just as background, I'm E3 non rate, but will make E4 Petty Officer later this year.
    “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.” ― Friedrich Nietzsche
    NYBo

--
    08 Feb 2013 03:22 PM
    I would think that unless you are authorized by your CO, you would wear your Auxiliary uniform when attending Auxiliary events. Check through your gold-side chain of command.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    25 Feb 2013 03:07 PM
    The fact is, you don't have to wear any uniform to a unit meeting for Aux. activities unless it is mandated by the activities therein. If the flotilla meeting is just for flotilla business, members are encouraged to wear the uniform as requested by the Flotilla Commander (usually trops) but it is perfectly legitimate to show up in [nice] Civilian clothes, CG Aux. Blazer, CG Aux. Polo Shirt, etc., etc. This all changes if there is a ceremony involved or if there is a public outreach aspect to the meeting. Even then there is no compulsory aspect to wearing the uniform but there is a stronger emphasis that it should be worn (and when worn, worn correctly).

From the most recent (G version) Aux. Manual, C.8.d "Elected and appointed leaders and staff are expected to wear uniforms at business and official meetings. To enhance esprit de corps, members are encouraged..." It doesn’t specifically say "Aux." uniform but it is implied very strongly.

Now, some extra meat and potatoes, do not wear your active duty uniform in any manner that will get you in trouble with your commander (or anyone else) at your AD post. Be extra careful with that and err on the side of caution.

If your commanding officer or the officer in charge of your duty post is aware of your activities and has, in some specific way, made it clear to you that you are acting with both his (or her) blessings and some task that he or she wants you to perform, you can legitimately wear your AD uniform. If, on your own direction, you have a specific purpose in wearing your AD uniform, one or two times, like you want to teach people what to look for in an active duty member of the Coast Guard (the differences between a non-rate and the 'crows' of a PO) then that would also be a legitimate reason to wear your AD uniform (clear it with your Fotilla Commander). Any of this is more or less out-the-window if someone chooses to have a problem with it. Thus, err on the side of caution.

One major thing to be aware of is this, you need to very strongly avoid any appearance that you have any authority when participating in auxiliary activities. Simply wearing the AD uniform gives the impression of authority to the public and to other Aux. It all comes down to trying to make double-sure that people know that the Aux. do not have compulsory authority over people, except in very well defined, extraordinary circumstances. Perhaps too much has been made of this but that’s the way it is.

Don't forget that it is a cornerstone of the Aux. to build fellowship. Wearing the Aux. shoulder boards does enhance the feeling of unit cohesion and as a professional Coast Guardsman you can really set the tone of 'doing it right'. Believe me, there are plenty of aux. who can use a little help and a strong example when it comes to good uniform practice. Think of it as another uniform entirely. If it helps you 'fit in' a little better and lets other Aux. see your commitment, that's a good thing.

To manage costs and keep things simple, see if you can set aside one Trop. uniform shirt and one ODU outer shirt and one garrison cap exclusively for Aux. use. The pants, boots, etc. are completely identical. You might get away without having the spare Trop shirt and garrison cap but if you do you'll be changing out your name tag and shoulder boards, etc. all the time. You DON'T want to accidentally show up to morning quarters at your AD post having forgotten you're still wearing your Aux. nametag & shoulder boards or with a hat that has you 'promoted' to an 'auxiliary ensign' [Yes everyone, I know there is no such thing, that would be FSO]. I think you might get made fun of for the rest of the year if you did that. Having a separate shirt and garrison cap might be the best way to avoid that embarrassment. Same goes for the ODU shirt.

I believe you can wear your AD ribbons on your Aux. uniform but not visa-versa. Aux. ribbons can’t go on your AD shirt, even if the ribbon you earn as an Aux. is an active duty ‘type’ of award. If you get a Special Operations ribbon while on Aux. duty (I got one for the first Obama inauguration), it doesn’t matter that it’s an active duty award, you’re not supposed to wear that particular ribbon on your AD uniform, only on your Aux. uniform. You can however wear your marksman ribbons (and other ribbons you earn in AD) on your Aux. uniform and it might get a few questions from folks how you got them in service. You’ll see a few interesting ribbons on some other people's Aux. shirts also, especially those with lots of prior service. We had one guy who was a WW II Navy blimp crewman. Some of his ribbons were really cool.
    FlyingSavior

--
    02 Feb 2016 12:10 PM
    Did anyone find a black & white reference for which uniform to wear acting as an Auxiliarist but also in AD?

Example: I am AD but I would like to teach an ABS course on a Saturday morning. I am an Aux IT, but not qualified as AD. Would I wear AD Trops or Aux Trops?

The consensus seems to be leaning towards what your command says. So individual basis station to station.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    03 Feb 2016 05:46 AM
    Wear the Aux uniform, as you are acting (and qualified) as Aux. But make sure you have all your AD ribbons and quals on there...
    eirikr1

--
    06 Feb 2016 10:56 AM
    We've had quite a few AD people who are also auxie visit our flotilla in AD uniforms. One was an admiral, and one was a diraux. Another was a member of our flotilla. The key, of course, is that when they wore an AD uniform, they were acting as AD visitors. If they wore auxie regalia, it was on an auxie uniform, and they were acting as auxies NOT as AD. 

There was once an MOU between aux and CAP about dual members on each others planes. It basically stated that a dual member would wear the uniform of one or the other. If wearing a CAP uniform, he was a CAP pilot, and acting as such. If wearing the auxie uni, then the reverse.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement