Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Just a new Coast Guard Spouse
Last Post 15 Feb 2006 05:31 AM by jeremyandkristal. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Ginger

--
29 Dec 2005 08:08 AM
    To be honest I am scared. This month I stopped working to be a stay at home mother.(child due in April) At the same time my husband just joined the Coast Guard. He said that it is highly probable that his first assignment will be afloat. The unknown scares me. freaked On average how long will he be at sea? How frequently can we communicate when he is away? When he is not at sea does he have to still work long hours?
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 12/29/2005 8:10:10 AM GMT

Captains Daughter

--
    12 Jan 2006 01:07 AM
    Ginger,

You'll be able to communicate and generally first assignments don't keep them at sea that long. Why don't you have hubby ask his commanding officer what the time frame will be and any of your other questions. The USCG is filled with human beings and there's nothing to be afraid of. Some of the best people I have ever met have been Coasties.
    nwcoastiewife

--
    17 Jan 2006 05:43 AM
    Hello I am a CG spouse and the ship my husband is on is a 3 0n 3 off ship and what that means is the Cutter is out 3 months at a time and home 3 months at a time. It's not bad, we communicate via e-mail while he is underway. Its not that bad the 3 months goes and it goes by fast after the first month goes by.

Hope that helps
    angelsilvia5

--
    17 Jan 2006 09:51 PM
    hallo ginger. my husband is currenlty on a boat. he leaves at for 2 months and is back normally for two months.in the summer however, he is home for three. it was hard at first . i dont have any family where we currenlty live and it was lonely as hell(we dont have kids).i got a job and went back to school and  time goes by first you get used to it. You learn to be independent. its been hard for us because we have been married for 3 years, have been in the coast guard for 5 yrs together,but we are still together!! so dont worry am sure you will be just fine!
    jeremyandkristal

--
    08 Feb 2006 06:47 PM
    Hello ladies!  My Dh is thinking about joining the coastguard.  And unforantley this is the only branch of the military that I know very little about.  I would like any info you could give me!!  Some questions I have are how well does it pay? right now he brings home about 2,000 a month does it come close to that?  Do they relocate you often?  Where are some of the places they the locate  you? 

A little introduction about us is...  We have been married going on 3yrs.  we have a wonderful daughter that is 13mths.  and we love to travel.  I hope you guys dont mind me asking so many questions, I am not trying to intrude but would just LOVE to talk to some of the ladies of the families to get an idea of how you like the coastguard!!  Thanks for everything!  Kristal
    nwcoastiewife

--
    14 Feb 2006 03:29 PM
    Well welcome welcome. Now you had a question about the pay well it is the same in the CG as it is in anyother brach of the Mililitary it is based on time in service and Rank you can look at the pay chart on the the internet, do a search on 2006 military pay chart. With the base pay which  is what you will find on the pay chart there is BAH (Basic Housing Allowance) that is figured by the zipcode you live in and your rank for example an PO-2 With 7 years makes about 2300 a month then gets BAH say in San Diego California for 1600 amonth now if you chose to live in Goverment Housing (NAVY) you wont get the BAH you will get the housing and wont have to pay gas,light, water all that jazz just phone and cable. On top of the base pay and BAH your husband will get BAS (Supplment for food) that is 262.00 if he get a ship the BAS will be cut and he will get sea pay which is anywhere from 115-800 addt'l each month depending on rank and time is service. Now if he becomes a boarding team member on a ship he can get an addt'l $150.00 each month too. So you are looking at a total of about 3900 per month with all the add on's I outlined. Then of course free medical dental is all that we have to pay for and that is like 23.00 for a family, the service member is free that 23.00 if you the spouse and the child(ren). You get alot of breaks on yearly car reg fees if you keep the plates from your home of record (WHERE YOU LIVE NOW) You get a chance to make a wish list in boot camp or with your recut. where you want to go and I think is like your top 5-10 choices and your husband will get one of those. If he can get a guareented school that is best what that means is that we will get rank faster because he will be traninned in something before heading to his next duty station. If he goes in as what the CG calls a non-rate he will end up working whereever they need people on land or a cutter for example the kitchen, as a fireman an OS there are many things that he could do then he would have to strike a rate and he would be sent to that school at some point which is in Petluma CA outside of San Fransico CA. Hope that helps. yeah
    jeremyandkristal

--
    15 Feb 2006 05:31 AM
    Thanks for your reply!!! that is alot of info to asorb but I think I got it.

The one question we have (no recruitor has got a hold of us yet) is he wanted to be a search and rescue personel but everything we have found so far says that you can only be that if you are in the reserves. Do you know if that is true? This may not be a question you know, but its one of our biggest ones we have. We live in Oregon and have no recuitor in our state so we are waiting for them to be back to us. Thanks for all your time!!!

Kristal
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement