Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Hotels Near Cape May NJ ADD Here!
Last Post 02 Apr 2015 06:56 AM by Old Guard2. 37 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Trusted Member / Administrator
chukles

--
07 Jun 2009 02:54 AM
    I am opening up this thread to help people find hotels in the Cape May Area. Please post Hotels you have stayed at and give a little review if you wish. If you know the Address and or Phone Number, feel free to post it!

Please limit this topic to hotel listings and review only!

Vr,

Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 7/18/2009 7:22:17 AM GMT

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    CGuardianAngel

--
    07 Jun 2009 02:11 PM
    We have not been there yet but we made reservations at "Summer Station". It is like a mini apartment and near the beach in Cape May.

I believe that your options in the Cape May area for families are limited and fill up very fast. Restrictions like 3 to 4 day minimums and prices that go through the roof, also Bed and Breakfast's that do not seem really appropriate or fun for small children.

Atlantic city and Wildwood have more choices for families but you have to drive a little.

Good Luck and Have fun at Graduation. Charge up your batteries in those camera's. I can't wait. I'm getting so anxious.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Hopeful

--
    08 Jun 2009 02:18 PM
    Avondale by the Sea
    Beach AVe. and Gurney Street.
    1800-676-7030

Right on the beach. Continental breakfast. Clean rooms. Nice mgmt.
    Minutes from the Training Center.(few short blocks)
    FordFam

--
    11 Jun 2009 08:12 PM
    Star Inn
    29 Perry Str
    - room overlooked the Atlantic Ocean.
    1-800-297-3779

My husband and I had a great trip-- beside all the ocean attractions, we were a block from Washingtion Street Mall--- great shops and cafe... didn't know we were going to have so much fun on our Thursday prior to graduation.

The hotel also gave us a 1pm ck out at no extra cost... our son was able to go back with us to change out of his uniform and put his contacts in before leaving for Phil.
    :-)
    Kathy
    ProudUSCGMom01

--
    14 Jun 2009 02:10 PM
    Grand Hotel
    1045 Beach Ave.
    - on the ocean
    1-800-257-8550

Staff was very friendly and when they found out we were there for CG graduation, were very accomodating in extending check out, etc. This was in April, which is "off-season" so things may change during the summer. Very helpful with directions, off-site restaurant suggestions. They have on-site restaurant as well. About a five minute drive to the front gate of Training Center - very easy to get to. Older hotel, but clean. Indoor pool, which is great if you want to swim and the weather gets nasty (weather changes quickly there *g*). Family friendly.

Proud mom of SN Mulder-Lampley, Ian
    Echo-181   Graduated 10 April 2009
    GM A School, Yorktown

Proud mom of SN Mulder-Lampley, Ian
    USCGC Tampa
    MattMomUSCG

--
    18 Jun 2009 01:48 PM
    Montreal Inn
    Beach Avenue
    Cape May, NJ
    http://www.montreal-inn.com/

This was a nice hotel with good service. Just watch the soda machine, it steals coins. Only a road and sand separating you from the ocean. Unfortunately, I was there in December and the beach wasn't too inviting!

USCG Mom
    My Coastie is stationed in Portsmouth VA and proud of it!

USCG Mom
    My Coastie is stationed in Portsmouth VA and proud of it!

Dee Dee

--
    29 Jun 2009 04:24 AM
    Cape Harbor Motor Inn
    715 Pittsburgh Av
    http://www.capeharbormotorinn.com/

A straightforward, clean, simple motel with a nice pool and wonderful green lawn in back set up for kids to play. Especially nice if you are on a budget and your graduation is during high season. Just around the corner from the front gate of the base. This is not on the water but is just a couple minute's drive from the beach.

Because our graduation was late in June, they couldn't offer a late check-out; but they have a special room set up for guests to return after graduation and change clothes.

They don't take credit cards for reservations so you need to call long enough in advance to mail in a personal check On the plus side, their rates were about 30% less than most other hotels or B&B's in the area. Very nice people.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mis3gal

--
    24 Aug 2009 09:21 PM
    This hotel is not in Cape May, but since our son graduated during peak season in the summer ($$$) and we have six children we needed something a little more reasonably priced. It took about about 45 minutes to get from the Holiday Inn Express in Vineland to the training center in Cape May. The hotel is new, very good complimentary breakfast, good size pool, polite staff and generally a very good place to stay.
    http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/ex...me?start=1

Mom to SR in Y-181

Mom to a FN on a cutter in the Atlantic.
    Relentless

--
    19 Sep 2009 12:21 PM
    I have stayed at Grand several times right across the beach and loved it each time.  Going there on CG business had me actually returning for vacations and also when my son graduated from Cape May two years ago.  I stayed there this past 4th of July and will be going back next week for my other son's graduation.  The hotel is clean, they are updating rooms, has a nice lounge and restaurant which is also updated.  It has an indoor and outdoor pool.  Being on the trolly route is also a nice thing to have even though it is a short walk to the shops located at Washington Square.

I know someone who stayed there for a wedding and while at the wedding their room was hit with money and gift cards being stolen.  It is no different than any other hotel where you should not leave valuables in a room unless you have a safe. It is a little pricey but I still recommend this place.

Dave

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    21 Sep 2009 09:16 PM
    We stayed at the Camelot and it was fine -not fancy.  Clean and as we were there off season, very resonaly priced. ($60 per night for a 2 bedroom "suite".) The room we had had a small kitchen which worked for us.  It had an outdoor pool (although what crazy person would swim when it was 5Degrees is beyond me) and it was just a block off the beach.  There was nothing between it and the beach so you had a view - albeit a cooooold one!  March is just NOT the month for Cape May let me tell you.  It sleeted or rained the whole week we were there.  The whole town was very friendly and welcoming to the Coastie families. 

Proud Mom of FS3 Kribell, Heather
    USCGC Hamilton - San Diego 

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    eaglecrz

--
    30 Sep 2009 02:52 PM
    We stayed at the Grand on Beach Ave. We had a 2 room suite with no view in the main hotel. (208) Furnishings were basic, but room was large and we loved the layout of having the bathroom accessible from both bedrooms without going into either bedroom.  Could have used an end table or two and the electrical plugs are taken by needed extension cords. (Surprised it passes fire codes) Main bedroom had a King Bed and sleeper sofa and the 2nd room had double bed with sleeper sofa and kitchenette. We overlooked the rooftop but could get a glimpse of the Ocean if we walked out on the enclosed balcony, raised the window and stuck our head out.

There were several weddings on the beach Friday and Sat., and it was fun to see them from the rooftop balcony on the 2nd floor oceanfront.  (Large open air with several lounge chairs).

We enjoyed the indoor pool and jacuzzi which was never too crowded and the outdoor pool had live music on Saturday afternoon with open pool bar.  A surprise for the last weekend in September. 

I'd stay at this hotel again!

Restaurants

Did not have a meal at The Grand, but Hemingways was recommended as having a great Seafood Buffet on Thursday nights.  Popular with locals as well.  (we are not Buffet fans)

We had a delicous dinner at the Pier House on the corner of Beach Ave. and Philadelphia.  Delicous fresh Tuna prepared to perfection and the desserts looked and sounded wonderful.  We wanted to return for dessert but didn't take the time.  They also serve Breakfast and Lunch, which we did not have time to try.

We had lunch and dinner at the Promenade Cafe in front of the Montreal Inn on Beach Ave. I believe this is one of Cape May's best kept secrets.  Delicious Salads, Soups, Sliders and the dinner specials were the best.   Lump Crab Meat and Asparagus Alfredo was to die for.  Excellent Pork Chop and mashed potaotoes prepared to perfection with mushrooms and shallots.  A Spanish Shrimp appetizer was wonderful and could suffice as a meal with an added salad.  My hat off to Chef DuShawn (sp?)

the liquor store at the Montreal had really good prices for a resort area.  A 6 pack of Land Shark was $6.95 and at the USCG Exchange was $6.19.

We had graduation lunch at Congress Hall Hotel's Blue Pig Tavern outside on the patio.  Delicious Crab Cakes and sandwiches.  A beautiful historic hotel .

EAGLECRZ in NC

EAGLECRZ in NC
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MrsBuckHijo

--
    06 Oct 2009 11:11 PM
    Capri Motor Inn

Right on the beach, clean, friendly staff.

Wife of SR Joshua Buckson
    Currently in boot camp-F182
    Mom of Aubrey Maddox, our little bun in the oven
    Soon to be moving to Josh's first station in Charleston, SC

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

You go Glen Coco.
    Kellersmith

--
    08 Dec 2009 04:15 PM
    When we attended my son's graduation in May (GO JULIETTE 181!!)  we stayed in the La Mer.  It was wonderful - the rooms were lovely, with a nice view.  Very clean (the most important part!!) and staff was great.   We did not eat at the hotel OR use the facilities - didn't have time - but would definitely go back there again!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    18 Dec 2009 08:09 AM
    We're back from Ian's graduation (OSCAR-182, 12-11-09), and we stayed at "The Grand" and it was wonderful. Very pretty hotel and excellent rooms. We got a room with a balcony, and I thought it would be a small, typical balcony. NO! It was huge (very wide and long) and had 4 big deck chairs, and wrought-iron surrounding it, so we could see miles upon miles out into the ocean. The view was beautiful, even though the temperature was freezing (they said it had snowed lightly already in some areas). I had a room with 2 King beds, and it had a small kitchen with a microwave, stove, and refrigerator. I would've definitely made use of it, if I was staying longer (like a few days). It had a dressing area and then a separate bathroom with yet another sink and mirror. It also came with an ironing board and an iron, and there were tons of towels. It had a coffee maker with all the stuff, too. I was on the 4th floor, and the hallways are very pretty, very charming. The lobby was beautiful, all made-up for Christmas, and it gave the feel of a Cape Cod residence. The employees were very friendly, very professional, and they also had a night club off to the left of the lobby, with a live band and dancing. It would've been great to stay there for several days. The place to go for food or supplies, 24/7, is called "WaWa" and it's about a mile down the road. They even make food there for you (hot sandwiches, deli sandwiches, salads, meatball stuff, etc.) I would love to go there when it's snowing, or during the summer for the warm weather. They have parking to the left, right, or behind the hotel. The only problem we had, was that there's no main sign for the lobby area. You enter the lobby through sliding glass doors which are next to the nightclub entrance. We kept looking at the big hotel sign at the street, but there was no main entrance, so we had to call the hotel and ask where the lobby was. The entrance to the lobby doesn't look like a lobby entrance from the outside. The food in the nightclub was excellent, and everyone was having a really good time. The hotel is not listed as "oceanfront" or "beachfront", but it might as well be, because the only thing right across the small road is the ocean. The American flags all along the hotel are very pretty, also. This hotel is worth it.
    FIVE STARS *****

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    "My sons are the loves of my life"

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    "My sons are the loves of my life"
    dbdmurals

--
    19 Jan 2010 05:22 AM
    Thank you for this thread! I will be going out there on march 5 from California and this information is so helpful!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Momma Jo

--
    04 Feb 2010 12:25 AM
    The Camelot was great! 2 bedroom suite for only $60, due to off season. Very clean, one block from the ocean and only 5 minutes from TRACEN. Friendly staff and comfortable beds also! No irons in room but plenty at the front desk if you need one. This is a motel not a hotel so bring your shampoo, toothpaste, hairdryer etc. Would love to go back in the summer time, beautiful area.
    mattsmomN180

--
    25 Feb 2010 01:44 PM
    We stayed at The Montreal Inn. Pretty Location. Unfortunately it was November so there wasn't much there to do and lots of places were closed.

apowell

--
    04 Mar 2010 02:20 AM
    We will be staying at
    Angel of the Sea
    5-7- Trenton Ave.
    609- 884-3369
    It's a beautiful bed and breakfast and the people have been wonderful help!
    vikolator1

--
    22 Mar 2010 06:23 PM
    We also Stayed in Grand Hotel it was ok staff very Freindly Let us check in sevral hours early but we was their in april off season clean quiet and close to base with veiw of ocean with a nice balcony and wasent too expensive..over all I give it a thumbs up...
    Soxmama

--
    05 Apr 2010 07:45 PM
    Hello..I have booked rooms at The Periwinkle Hotel in Cape May..I've never been to New Jersey..but looking forward to Graduation on May 14th!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lollipop

--
    23 Apr 2010 02:56 PM
    We stayed at the Grand. It was just ok. Nothing GRAND about it except the lobby. The staff was very nice and went out of their way to make us happy. The room was clean, though I thought it could use a little more updating (sloppy paint, old plastic cabinetry in the kitchenette). We stayed in the 2-room suite since we had 4 people in our group. The down side to that is that we all shared a single bathroom. I thought the room was a little overpriced for the off season.

Overall I'd give it two thumbs up. But I probably won't stay in the 2-room suite again.

I will recommend George's for breakfast! (at Beach and Perry) Their banana french toast was delicious! Coffee was good too!

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 

Proud mom of SN Daniel Cable - ALFA 183 
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Apr 2010 09:23 PM
    This just happened to be on Yahoo travel today and for anyone heading to Cape May, this may offer some really nice history & information!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Pmackey

--
    25 Apr 2010 10:29 PM
    Very Cool Macie!! Thanks. I will love reading up on all this stuff before we get there. :-)

Proud Mom of SR Mackey

Proud Mom of FA MACKEY USCGC JARVIS (WHEC 725) Honolulu, HI
    kyuscgmom

--
    09 Sep 2010 01:17 PM
    This advice was a perfect match for our CG Graduation trip. We are thankful to the parent, who shared their info with us. Also, the season does matter. It was a December trip for us. Not a great time to play in the ocean We were advised to make reservations early regardless of season or location desired.

If you just want to go see your loved one graduate, try to stay local. We had five people attending.
    We drove from Central Kentucky. We left on Wens. and checked into Carroll Villa on Thursday. We chose Carrol Villa because they have a Thurs. night discount for family coming in for graduation services on Fri. morning. We checked into the historic bed and breakfast a little early (they were very nice about letting us get settled @ no extra cost).
    The little village is decorated for Christmas---very pretty. We were only staying one night. Our son had a very short time at home before leaving for his first post.

The next morning we timed everything so we wouldn't be too early or too late. They will not open the guard stand one minute earlier than it says on the invitation. Everyone will have the time allotted to get on base. Don't be late. It was a fantastic day!

Carroll Villa's website is www.carrollvilla.com .
    kyuscgmom
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    KD

--
    06 Jan 2011 12:24 PM
    I'll second the plug for La Mer ; we live in a remote area and missed a connecting flight to Philadelphia. We arrived a day late, but La Mer not only held our room for us (without charging for it, if you can imagine) but let us check in early the day we arrived so we could sleep---at that point we'd been up for nearly 36 hours, and on a jam-packed plane all night.
    La Mer was also one of the only hotels we could find offering queen, not double, beds.
    SailorT

--
    15 Mar 2011 02:45 PM
    Has anyone stayed at the Hyland Motor Inn, Cape May? Just wondering. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Service3

--
    04 Apr 2011 04:00 PM
    My son will be Graduating July 29th and we had a hard time getting what we wanted.   I never checked out the Hyland, I had gone to the Coast Guard Training Site to find info on Cape May accommodations and was able to book the Palace Hotel.

My Wife and Me decided to take a mini Vacation and stay in AC for 2 days and get to Cape May on the 28th and leave with our Son on the 30th to drive back to Ma.
    ttesp0929

--
    16 Apr 2011 08:27 AM
    We are staying at the Madison Avenue Beach Club Motel for graduation on 29th April, 2011. Has anyone stayed there? How is the weather that time of year? We need to know how to pack, Ha. I understand it is a mile from Cape May.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Apr 2011 08:49 AM
    As or NJ and April 29th... be prepared. Pack a sweater, possibly a raincoat but make it a sweater that is easily removable. It can be quite chilly in the morning for breakfast and then get quite warm by the time your graduate is done. I don't know the hotel but you can probably check out thoughts on YELP.COM i no one posts anything here.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    slcure1975

--
    26 May 2011 10:26 AM
    Thanks for all the tips, we have a party of 5-6 going up for the July 1st graduation....Hope we can find some good rates. Also just to let everyone know with the research I did online if you go to http://www.wildwoodsnj.com/ & request a brochure to be mailed, it comes with all kinds of information & booklets & a coupon book for those that do plan on staying a few days. The attractions, restaurants & all the local places to stay. Also if you have a facebook page, you can like 'WildwoodNJ' & post & read things happening there. Just an FYI, everyone has always been so helpful to me, so I hope this will help some of you out.
    Peace & God Bless
    Semper Paratus!

Sandy C. from Mobile, AL
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement