Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Process of starting school
Last Post 17 Jun 2009 01:24 PM by hawaiicg. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ScottSky

--
07 Jun 2009 05:31 AM
    I know im going to find out all this information on wednesday when i go and talk to a recruiter but im just impatient/anxious lol.

So I have been reading a lot on here and am starting to finally understand a lot of it and the process.

My future plan would be AET.

So let me get this straight... I would go to boot camp, and then what? Like I know I would need A School for AET, but that is a <6 month wait, minimum, and that 6 month wait is just to get into the Airman program, correct? which will be 4 months, and THEN you go to the A school after that, is all that correct so far?

And also, I was wondering in between that time your waiting for the program/school, where do you go? Since I want an aviation job, will they put me at a air base so im around that stuff and learning as im waiting? That would make the most sense to me, but then again, I dont know how its done. I was just thinking about this earlier and figured I'd ask here as well as ask the recruiter on wednesday, thanks in advance for any help at all. this forum is great!

-Scott :-)
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    07 Jun 2009 06:22 AM
    Scott,

After boot camp (2 months) you will ship out to your first billet (duty assignment). You will be able to fill out your dream sheet and can choose air stations and what not but if needed they will send you anywhere. You will work there a minimum of 4-6 months completing your qualifications as a non-rate (can be longer it all depends on you).

You then will need to seek the approval of your command to be put on the list for AET A-school and wait the time needed for your name to reach the top of the list and be eligible to attend A-school (you have stated 6 months). Including boot, qualifications and A-school wait time somewhere around 12-14 months give or take a few...

At this time you will ship off to the nearest Air Station that has an opening for an airman where you will spend 4 months with them undergoing intense physical and mental training and learning the required skills to be an airman and completing a syllabus for AET.

Then you will go to AET A-school for 5 months which is described as a very intense and demanding program and on completion you will become an apprentice AET. http://www.uscg.mil/hq/attc/Careers/AET.htm

Check out its just eight weeks video here http://www.coastguardchannel.com/24....php 

and all the other awesome videos here http://www.coastguardchannel.com/24...Series.php

I hope this helps some.

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    ScottSky

--
    07 Jun 2009 03:12 PM
    That definitely helped a lot!

Now where they place you as a non-rate? That can literally be anywhere? Even a cutter? Or would they try to stick to air base/ or even like a small boat station?

And I was talking to the recruiter and my girlfriends father and they both told me that right now since they have a waiting list for the A School, if you sign up for 6years instead of 4, it puts your name on the list right away. Which if that is the case, I would do that, because even with signing up for 4 years, once your A school is finally done, you still have 3 years of doing that duty, so it would make sense to just sign up for the 6. And signing up for 6 would graduate me from boot camp as a E-2 , or E-3 I cant remember what they said, it was over the phone, Ill actually go there and talk to him in person this coming Wed.

Again, thanks for your reply, very helpful!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    07 Jun 2009 03:35 PM
    Assuming you don't have guaranteed 'A' school (AET cannot be guaranteed) and the rate is not critical (AET is not critical), you can't put your name on the 'A' school list until at least 4 four months after you get to your first station and 6 - 8 months is more likely.

If you sign for six years of active duty you will go in as an E-3. There are other ways to get E-3 besides signing for six years, such as college credit, Eagle Scout, JROTC, probably some others I don't even know about.

Going in as an E-3 will get you an extra $80 per month for the first six months, or a total of about $480 total. That is the only advantage. It won't get you to 'A' school any faster as noted above.

Unless they screw up or are dogging it, a person coming in as an E-2 is eligible to advance to E-3 at pretty much exactly the same time as they are eligible to put their name on the 'A' school list. That's why there are very, very few E-2's on the 'A' school list.

Signing for six years means you will only get to take one bite out of the re-up bonus apple. If you signed up for four, you could get re-up bonuses at 4 years and 8 years.

That's pretty much the entire list of pro's and con's. On this particular point, the recruiters tell the exact truth, but recruits have been known to draw the wrong conclusion.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    07 Jun 2009 06:45 PM
    Wep is exactly correct.

I would suggest opting for the 4, 8, 12, 16 and 20 year options as they present more bonus opportunities.

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    ScottSky

--
    07 Jun 2009 08:27 PM
    Oh I get it, so the 6 year plan actually isnt as great as they make it "sound."
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    07 Jun 2009 08:50 PM
    They tell you the truth. For example, in your case, with a 32 month obligated service for AET 'A' school, you probably aren't looking at much difference for time in service with a four year vs six year enlistment. For some of the other things, if you made assumptions about what you thought they were saying, that was a mistake on your part.

For some people, a six year enlistment is the right thing. For other people it may not be. You need to decide what is right for you and, to do that, you do need to understand how things work.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Jun 2009 08:52 PM
    My son went for 6. He knows this is his career, dad has been in 24 years and still going strong, I'm sure he'll be the same way. So he didn't really think about the reenlistment bonuses he is staying bonus or not. He wanted that little bit of rank out of the starting gate and he is on his way. It's a personal decision. He is hapy with it so that is all that matters.

SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    ScottSky

--
    08 Jun 2009 01:04 AM
    wep, I wasnt making assumptions. Thats what I was told from the recruiter and my girlfriends dad (i apologize I cant remember his rank) but I know there must have been some kind of miss-communication because you guys are saying its not true, and i know you guys are knowledgeable ive leaned alot from these forums so far. I guess Ill get it all figured out on wednesday, I just wanted a heads up ya know. Thanks everyone for chiming in so far
    oceanrue

--
    17 Jun 2009 01:12 PM
    so is there an additional added time commitment once A school is completed or flight physical?

Nothing is as necessary for success as the single minded pursuit of an objective

Nothing is as necessary for success as the single minded pursuit of an objective
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    hawaiicg

--
    17 Jun 2009 01:17 PM
    Definitely. We are not going to put you through such an extensive job and not require some time out of you. It is just the way it goes. The schools that we attend are not cheap.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    17 Jun 2009 01:22 PM
    Well sort of definitely... sort of not... If you have 3 years left in the Guard and you go to A school and the commitment is 24 months upon completion of school... school is only 3 months, you have 33 months left on your original commitment that covers your 24 months to the rate plus a few extra for measure! So you MIGHT not have to commit to extra time.

Now if you are waiting for A school for 18 months on a regular 4 year (48 month) commitment and the school is 3 months in duration you are left with only 27 months on your commitment but your rate requires a 36 month commitment to the rate... Bingo, extra time in the Guard because you have to guarantee you'll stick around for the training given to you!

So yep & nope! :)

SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    hawaiicg

--
    17 Jun 2009 01:24 PM
    OldGuard is the best!

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement