Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
which side does the junior membe walk?
Last Post 22 Jul 2009 02:38 AM by poogotflung. 20 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
rose86

--
10 Jun 2009 02:57 PM
    & where can I find info about stuff like that? Thanks
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    10 Jun 2009 05:14 PM
    The junior walks to the senior's left. I believe this was originally intended to leave the senior's sword arm clear. That problem doesn't come up as often as it used to, though.

Just Google "Military Customs", "Military Courtesies" or "Military Etiquette".
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    10 Jun 2009 07:41 PM
    It was about a decade before I stopped automatically getting in step with whoever I was walking with.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Jun 2009 07:49 PM
    Did any of you notice how they lift their feet to go between rooms???? We were at the restaurant and right next to a doorway to another room. My dad told Colin to walk out of the room, make it look like he was going to the mens room or something, but then come back. Colin looked at him like he was crazy but ok... he got up, squared away his uniform, walked away and lifted his feet (sort of like a duck step) over the "threshold" of the doorway... there was nothing there. They get it so drilled into their heads to step over the hatch doorway he was just doing it completely unconscious! We were laughing like no tomorrow at him.

After that he semi stopped doing it... if we were walking, talking, just not thinking... UP went the feet over that imaginary bulk head threshold! LOL

SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    10 Jun 2009 07:53 PM
    That's still a good thing to remember to do when you're actually on a ship...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    PennieAnnie

--
    10 Jun 2009 09:07 PM
    I remeber a while back reading about a company that went for their offbase liberty and how they could not walk out of sync no matter how hard they tried, and that they cleared every doorjam, despite their best efforts....ha ha....i bet it is funny to see them all together trying to be normal......
    Wepprop that is too funny.....old habits die hard.....
    at Christmas midnight mass this year there was  a young man who obviously just finish basic, he exited the pew, received communion and came back, squaring every corner....and dressed in his full dress uniform. Sorry, but that just sent a chill through me to see it, and I was so proud of him, and I did not even know him!
    i love military traditions!

Wendy

Proud Mom of S.R. Savidge,Travis
    Go Romeo - 181

Wendy
    Coastie Mom to
    SN Travis Savidge
    USCGC Bear, Portsmouth, VA
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mrhott

--
    10 Jun 2009 10:20 PM
    I loved the highstep also.  I also remember when Kaeli laugher at her brother because he marched everywhere and then after BC Kaeli did that too.  Her company never had to square their meals, seems the CC's thought they needed tortured other ways, that is all I know on that.

Jan, i am with you. excited about her finishing a school July 1st and we would told the same thing, no need to come for a 30 minute graduation.  She is still working out when she needs to report.  Her ship sails so she will report and then they will fly her to a port to meet the ship.  They don't "need" us any more.cry

We are sooo proud of her.  cool

Proud Father  of SN Hottinger, Kaeli
    Roomate of SN Kribell, Heather
    FS A School TRACEN Petaluma
    Going to the Mellon WHEC 717 Seattle, WA

"Life should not be  journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaining -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"

Proud Father  of FS3 Hottinger, Kaeli
    USCG Cutter Mellon WHEC 717 Seattle, WA

"Life should not be  journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaining -- WOW, WHAT A RIDE!"
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    10 Jun 2009 10:26 PM
    wepprop....i was never in the military.....however, even with four years of marching band....from time to time i will catch myself skipping to get in step!!!

:):)

Jen
    Proud Coastguard Mom of
    SN Church, Brittney R.
    CGC Alex Haley
    Kodiak, Alaska

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    CoastiemomGermany

--
    11 Jun 2009 12:21 PM
    Jkribell said...
    Yep - when we went to lunch after graduation, Heather kept "squaring" her food. When we would tease her she would stop and then a few minutes later - there she was doing it again. Very endearing. sigh - I miss my baby girl this week. She has about 3 weeks left in A school and then she's off into the wild blue yonder. She doesn't want me to come to graduation as it is 30 minutes long and she has to be to San Diego the next day. :(
    Hi,
    Can someone please explain what "squaring" your food is.
    Thanks,

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    11 Jun 2009 01:50 PM
    "Squaring your meals" is a petty harassment customarily visited on plebes at service academies whereby the food must be moved from plate to mouth using only straight lines and right angles. I had never previously heard of it being required of enlisted recruits but the Coast Guard at least seems to have adopted it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mrhott

--
    13 Jun 2009 04:34 AM
    Yep, Kaeli's initial report time has her getting to Seattle just after the "Edited by moderator" so she is trying to get ahold of her sponser to see when it leaves and if she can get report sooner before it leaves port.  She has been told it is easier to do your first report when the ship is at home instead of flying to a port to see it.  I guess they are getting the passports done this week.  Got to love our young women. :-)    Guess this is a little off topic.. 

Mike<!-- Edit -->

Moderator Edit : 7/21/2009 8:50:09 PM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mrhott

--
    14 Jun 2009 02:47 AM
    well i guess BM3 got it started. Kaeli came down sick yesterday also. In bed all day and dehydrated. Said she did not feel much better today and the Dr's on the base were not much help. Said they just gave her the IV mixture to drink and sent her back to the barracks. 2 and a half weeks to go.

Proud Father  of SN Hottinger, Kaeli
    Roomate of SN Kribell, Heather
    FS A School TRACEN Petaluma
    Going to the Mellon WHEC 717 Seattle, WA

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    hawaiicg

--
    16 Jun 2009 02:51 AM
    The main point of squaring meals is to teach the recruit to keep their back straight and not slouch over their food. And you always walk on the seniors left. Same with a female. They hold onto your left arm so that you could draw your sword and move them to safety in one move.

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    16 Jun 2009 01:15 PM
    jan.....

i know i have posted the rules of opsec on here at least a dozen times. if you care anything for your daughter and the safety of her shipmates....you never post a departing date and a ships name on a public forum. you have just put their security in a threatening position.

here's one better. they are busting (and sometimes masting) kids for this stuff. so you may have gotten your daughter in trouble before she has even done her first day on the ship.

the old expression~loose lips sink ships......was said for a reason.

Jen
    Proud Coastguard Mom of
    SN Church, Brittney R.
    CGC Alex Haley
    Kodiak, Alaska

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    20 Jul 2009 04:22 PM
    wepprop said...
    The junior walks to the senior's left. I believe this was originally intended to leave the senior's sword arm clear. That problem doesn't come up as often as it used to, though.

Just Google "Military Customs", "Military Courtesies" or "Military Etiquette".
    That is almost right. But it is to keep the sword of the junior member clear so when it is drawn to defend the senior member, he does not accidentally cut the senior member as he brings it to bear.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    poogotflung

--
    21 Jul 2009 01:50 PM
    OldGuard said...
    Did any of you notice how they lift their feet to go between rooms???? We were at the restaurant and right next to a doorway to another room. My dad told Colin to walk out of the room, make it look like he was going to the mens room or something, but then come back. Colin looked at him like he was crazy but ok... he got up, squared away his uniform, walked away and lifted his feet (sort of like a duck step) over the "threshold" of the doorway... there was nothing there. They get it so drilled into their heads to step over the hatch doorway he was just doing it completely unconscious! We were laughing like no tomorrow at him.

After that he semi stopped doing it... if we were walking, talking, just not thinking... UP went the feet over that imaginary bulk head threshold! LOL

They do teach you to step over but they don't teach you to lower your head!!

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Jul 2009 01:54 PM
    Is that speaking from experience????? If so... I'm laughing, but I'm so sorry! That had to really hurt!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    poogotflung

--
    21 Jul 2009 04:01 PM
    It happens almost once a week, 87's are not the friendliest boats for your head, especially as a engineer!!

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Jul 2009 04:10 PM
    Ouch!! Poor Mae is only go to recognize her daddy if he has a bruise on his forehead!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    22 Jul 2009 02:03 AM
    poogotflung said...
    They do teach you to step over but they don't teach you to lower your head!!
    Not to add insult to injury but you would think that would be self-taught rather quickly...:-)

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    poogotflung

--
    22 Jul 2009 02:38 AM
    One would think... But you get used to it, then one day you wear your hat or a different pair of shoes... Its all over.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement