Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Dog tags for the CG?
Last Post 07 Aug 2016 02:03 PM by CPORJM. 17 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Dsaunders2287

--
12 Jun 2009 05:42 AM
    I know its prob an odd question but do members of the CG wear dogtags the same as other branchs of the Militery>? i have heard different answers from biff people juss looking for a ligit answer.

Derek Saunders
    Cape May June 30th

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    12 Jun 2009 08:37 AM
    Not usually.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    BuckHijo

--
    12 Jun 2009 10:57 AM
    I asked this questions to a BM2 friend of mine and he said they do not wear them.

I am Bound 4 Life.....are you?
    www.bound4life.com Check it out.

FN Buckson CGC Dallas
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    12 Jun 2009 12:49 PM
    Only if they are in combat

"The only easy day was yesterday"
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBennett09

--
    12 Jun 2009 02:04 PM
    I know you can get dog tags at a lot of places, but would it not be wise if someone chose to make them look like the real thing? With all the info that real tags have on them?

Shipping July 21

"Go out and do good things."
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    12 Jun 2009 02:58 PM
    Well, think about the reason for dog tags in the military. It's so the body of a soldier can be identified if it is too mutilated for recognition. Not to bee too up-front, but that's how it is. I would assume the Coasties in combat zones would be wearing them. Anywhere else probly not.

-Pain is weakness leaving the body.
     -It's 5 o'clcok somewhere.
     - So can you tell me what exactly does freedon mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBennett09

--
    12 Jun 2009 03:21 PM
    Yeah, I just wasn't sure if it would be frowned upon if someone got their own. I guess nowadays tags are looked at more as a fashion thing rather than their real purpose. Just my opinion.

Shipping July 21

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    12 Jun 2009 06:01 PM
    Yea active duty Navy you dont have to wear them unless you are in combat, it is a part of the uniform of the day if you are aviation and wear a flightsuite, but they are for combat, the navy issues them the coastguard doesnt i believe.

"The only easy day was yesterday"
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    louisianamom

--
    13 Jun 2009 07:13 PM
    Correct the Coast Guard doesn't issue them...they are issued to those in combat areas of the different military branches...there are some Coasties that have chosen to get them made and wear them and the ones that I know have never been told anything negative about wearing them, they are under your shirt anyway..
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    JBennett09

--
    14 Jun 2009 03:52 AM
    I believe I heard somewhere they were talking about giving combat medals or some kind of insignia to those that were in combat-type areas, such as those in counter-narcotics and other life-threatening areas. Does anyone have intel about this? If this is correct, then those Coasties involved in those missions would be issued dog tags since they would be in combat.

Shipping July 21

Madjogger

--
    17 Jun 2015 07:59 PM
    I was in the US coast Guard for 4 years, 1959 to 1963, we had dog tags just like all the other services.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ejhcougar

--
    20 Jun 2015 08:27 AM
    Coast Guard aviation does not wear dog tags either, in fact they would be super uncomfortable under the dry suit and vest we have anyway in the help.
    Retiree94

--
    07 Nov 2015 05:25 PM
    When I went through Basic training in '67 I was issued dog tags.  When I went through Officer Candidate School in '74 we weren't.  When preparing for a district inspection in the late '70s it was noted that a number of us had never received dog tags.  Our XO was incredulous because he just assumed that EVERYONE received dog tags as he had at the Academy.  And no, we didn't get dog tags for the district inspection.  Between then and when I retired in '94 I did not hear another thing about dog tags.

Do they issue them now? I don't know. 
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    08 Nov 2015 11:29 AM
    Posted By Retiree94 on 07 Nov 2015 06:25 PM
    When I went through Basic training in '67 I was issued dog tags.  When I went through Officer Candidate School in '74 we weren't.  When preparing for a district inspection in the late '70s it was noted that a number of us had never received dog tags.  Our XO was incredulous because he just assumed that EVERYONE received dog tags as he had at the Academy.  And no, we didn't get dog tags for the district inspection.  Between then and when I retired in '94 I did not hear another thing about dog tags.

Do they issue them now? I don't know. 

No, they don't.  The only CG units that got them recently were the Port Security Units when they deployed to the Mid East
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    GreenCoastie

--
    08 Nov 2015 01:45 PM
    PATFORSWA units are issued them...PSUs are issued them when they go OCONUS including exercises in Korea AND and tours in GTMO.LEDETS attached to naval ships are often issued. The Coast Guard does issue them just not to every unit.........
    SunDiegoNative

--
    06 Aug 2016 12:31 PM
    We had dog tags in 1970:
    Last name
    First name, MI
    Service #
    Blood Type
    Religion
    SunDiegoNative

--
    06 Aug 2016 12:35 PM
    I don't think it would be frowned upon. They're legit. After so many years, what's someone going to do with your service number?

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Aug 2016 02:03 PM
    Posted By SunDiegoNative on 06 Aug 2016 01:35 PM
    I don't think it would be frowned upon. They're legit. After so many years, what's someone going to do with your service number?

You realize this is a 7 year old post
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement