Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
General ROCI / Reserve questions for joiner
Last Post 11 Aug 2009 11:10 PM by chukles. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
msksmack

--
11 Aug 2009 10:40 PM
    I do have some questions...

What do people think about how joining any type of reserves affects a civilian job? I know it is illegal for employers to treat you differently if you deploy, but I am sure secretly they keep track. What do you think?

I know as a reservist I need to accept possible deployment. I do and am willing to serve. However, what is that like and how long typically? (I have been on www.military.com and read many messages from NPS' wondering about this - please just shoot straight. I get the whole "don't join if you don't want to get your boots wet." I do, but data helps [especially with family]. Percentages would be nice, if possible.)

How does deployment affect school?

How easy is it for reservists to take advantage of the GI Bill?

How do I talk to loved ones about this?

Can I negotiate my terms of contract if I am to join? Number of years? How does that work?

Do I have to be E-1/O-1 right off the bat or can I ask for E-2/O-2 because of my education and civilian job type (BS, MS in Engineering - construction and project management)? Also, is there a signing bonus?

Pay scale - it's the same all over? What about COLA for being in an expensive place like Los Angeles?

What is too long for an NPS to sign onto not having any military experience?

Will I lose credibility for not attending an 8 week BCT with actives? I would like too but I do not know if I can or how that works.

What MOS' is the USCG looking for in the LA sector?

Finally, the tough one for me: I like the idea of being an officer and leading and sharing my credentials. I like the idea of being enlisted and carrying out missions first hand and getting to be in the thick of things. What does everyone think?

In the meantime, where does someone like me fit into the mix based on my skill set (see above)?

Phew!

Thanks,

Mark<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 8/11/2009 10:42:11 PM GMT

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    11 Aug 2009 10:58 PM
    Wow!! That is a list of questions!

Your best bet is to contact a recruiter as He/She can help answer many of these questions.

Many of these questions can also be answered using your favorite search engine.

Your reserve duty has no bearing on your job. You will serve two days a month and two weeks a year as a standard routine. If you are activated you will be away for an additional length of time.
    There is no way to tell you what an average deployed length is as there is no average deployed length. It depends on way to many factors to accurately predict.

Deploying while going to school can be a problem depending on the school, some schools are understanding and lenient, others are not. Your best bet is to discuss these potential issues with the school you are looking to attend.

It is just as easy for a reservist to access the Montgomery GI bill as an active duty member.

Best bet with loved ones is to sit them down and explain why you want to do this. Point them to this site or ask them to come with you to meet your recruiter.

There is no negotiation on contract length for Enlisted Reserves or Commissioned reserves.

Rank is determined by a few different factors. Your local recruiter can better advise you.

Your basic pay is the same across the board, and you may or may not receive cola. There are a myriad of special pays and entitlements you may receive. (Google is your friend here)

I do not understand the question concerning NPS persons,

You will not loose credibility for not attending Boot camp. You will attend a boot camp of some sort depending on which program you come in under.

Coast Guard does not have MOS's, we have enlisted ratings. If you are coming in as an Officer, they do not apply. Coast Guard hires only for positions open in your area with the Reserves. Your recruiter will have a current listing.

The route you take (enlisted/commission) is one only you can make after careful consideration and thorough research. What one person thinks is best could be a nightmare to the next.

I do not see any skill sets in your post so I cannot answer this question, but after talking with your recruiter, he/she will be able to give you a better answer.

Best of luck in your pursuits!

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 8/11/2009 4:09:01 PM GMT

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE

--
    11 Aug 2009 11:04 PM
    Chukles, you are always on top of things! Its great ! :)

~Semper Paratus~

~Semper Paratus~

Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    11 Aug 2009 11:10 PM
    I try,

Thanks for the compliment!

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement