Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Treading Water
Last Post 14 Feb 2020 09:59 AM by CPORJM. 29 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mrthal

--
12 Aug 2009 09:53 PM
    I know you have to be able to tread at Boot Camp... My question is, do you really have to tread for a true 5 mins? Because I can tread for a good 2-2.5..
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE

--
    12 Aug 2009 09:55 PM
    From what I have researched, yes. It's five minutes.

I used to hate it but now its my favorite part of my swim workout cause I just have to kinda keep myself afloat lol

~Semper Paratus~

~Semper Paratus~

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    12 Aug 2009 10:02 PM
    It's really not that bad. All you have to do is keep yourself afloat for 5 minutes. It's not as hard as it might seem.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    12 Aug 2009 10:03 PM
    Yes...without question!

Just imagine yourself out in the middle of the ocean when the unthinkable occurs and you are now in the water with no life jacket on and it takes more then a few minutes for them to realize man over board, for them to get the cutter turned around and the rescue boat in the water....now imagine not so calm seas...

It would be good for one to be able to tread water a little longer then 5 minutes...

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    12 Aug 2009 10:46 PM
    I got a letter from boot camp that said he now knew he was getting stronger. When he was in the hotel, the night before he went to boot he could barely do 2 minutes. He was up to a good 5 minutes and he wasn't even tired! So if you can't do it now, don't worry you will be able to before you leave there!

Proud mom of

SN Robertson, Colin

USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Newcoastiewife

--
    12 Aug 2009 11:07 PM
    I would for sure boost up on your treading skills. DH said that they usually did swimming as the last thing of the day so you're already tired (again companies are different but you never know) and even though DH is an excellent swimmer it was hard cause of how wore out he was.

Cassie

Cassie
    southernstarrr

--
    13 Aug 2009 01:00 AM
    any suggestions for a efficient and less-tiring way to tread water? cause when i took swim lessons as a kid all i was taught was a "scissor flip" and the "running in place" as they called it and it gets really exhausting after about a minute of so.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    13 Aug 2009 01:10 AM
    Not sure why, but when you are actually there doing it, it really doesn't seem that hard. I remember doing the scissor technique, but fairly slowly. Just enough to keep yourself at the top of the water. No need to use up all of your energy.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    13 Aug 2009 03:23 AM
    I cannot remember who but someone highly recommend this technique...

Egg Beater

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    southernstarrr

--
    13 Aug 2009 04:01 AM
    oh sorry...i was meaning the "running" one is very tiring.and probably the dumbest and worst one ever.
    I'll have to try that egg beater one....
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE

--
    13 Aug 2009 05:51 AM
    I saw a picture somewhere of the recruits in formation in the pool treading water, neatly lined up...it looked like they were more than shoulder up out of water...I mean do you have to be that far up out of the water?

~Semper Paratus~

~Semper Paratus~

John9945

--
    13 Aug 2009 06:42 AM
    Use the egg beater kick while moving your arms sort of like you're flying. Also, try doing it with little as movement as possible. Remember to relax!

You can try taking swim lessons too. Im a swim instructor at the YMCA and we teach kids/adults how to tread water.
    Molera

--
    13 Aug 2009 08:58 AM
    the egg beater is fairly similar to what i was taught. the way i was taught is slower but u use your upper body also. ur legs kinda make the motion of a squid but in slow mo.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Sammy T

--
    13 Aug 2009 02:07 PM
    Egg Beater is the best technique if you can learn to get it down, just practice, practice, practice. Like everyone else said, just relax and keep it easy, you will be surprised how well you can do after just a little practice.

Once you nail that down, try improving your tread strength by adding some weight to the equation...anywhere from 5 to 10 pounds and tread water for as long as you can. Do several sets like this and then try it again without the weight; you will find yourself waist out of the water!!

I remember in swimming we had to tread water with a 20 pound plate, not so easy after a few mins, but it will make a world of difference.
    <!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 8/13/2009 3:08:55 PM GMT

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    13 Aug 2009 11:38 PM
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE said...
    I saw a picture somewhere of the recruits in formation in the pool treading water, neatly lined up...it looked like they were more than shoulder up out of water...I mean do you have to be that far up out of the water?
    I haven't seen the same picture, but they could be in the shallow end doing one of the water strength training classes that they do there.  However, the water treading part is done in a similar way, where there are 4 or 5 even lines of recruits.  Can you post the picture on here?

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE

--
    13 Aug 2009 11:39 PM
    I have been looking for it everywhere, I am trying to remember where I found it, I have been on SO many sites lol

~Semper Paratus~

~Semper Paratus~

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    14 Aug 2009 12:08 AM
    I taught myself how to swim at an early age and my two swimming techniques are formal ones, believe it or not. I've done the egg beaters, and the breast stoke (slightly modified) since I first started swimming.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE

--
    14 Aug 2009 01:18 AM
    I never really thought about learning techniques with treading water and swimming, I grew up by the sea and just always thought everyone knew how to do it lol

~Semper Paratus~

~Semper Paratus~

krshepar

--
    14 Aug 2009 01:23 AM
    lol clem are you tapping into my brain. thats what i would have said!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE

--
    14 Aug 2009 01:27 AM
    Okay so here is an actual question regarding this topic.

Do we need to have an actual technique down and tread a certain way or can we just tread however it feels best for ourselves?

I know with swimming they have a specific style they want you to do in the marines, does Coast Guard do it that way too?

~Semper Paratus~

~Semper Paratus~

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    14 Aug 2009 01:43 AM
    This may be the photo (or not)....from about.com.

(attachment)

10AC4ME

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE

--
    14 Aug 2009 01:46 AM
    No, that wasn't it. Good shot though lol.

In the photo it looked like they had to keep a level of their shirt dry? You know what I mean... it probably wasn't the CG, I can't imagine them being that hard and difficult about it

~Semper Paratus~

~Semper Paratus~

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MSTWNAB

--
    14 Aug 2009 02:20 AM
    That's a pretty accurate photo of the way the treading water portion will be. And you can tread water pretty much anyway you can as long you can go for 5 minutes. They didn't even try to teach us any techniques before we jumped in.
    USCG SN
    = FY11
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE

--
    14 Aug 2009 02:23 AM
    oh thank goodness, cause i have no technique, I just...tread..

~Semper Paratus~

~Semper Paratus~

Sampson

--
    16 Aug 2009 03:10 AM
    I've always done the "Riding a bicycle while you flap your arms like you're flying" type of treading water. It always worked for me...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jchen012

--
    16 Aug 2009 03:36 PM
    The best way to do is to take really really big breathes and hold it. When your lungs fill with air, you float. That is what helped me in boot.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jagr200

--
    17 Aug 2009 12:57 AM
    There is no set way to tread water at boot camp. You also only have to do it one time. It is SUPER easy. If you can kick your legs and move your arms for 5 mins you can do it no problem.
    They only pull you out if you look like you are struggling. The lack of swimming stuff at a nautical service boot camp is really weird. What we do swimming wise is rather pathetic in most of the recruits opinions. We actually talked about it alot because we only swam the last 2 weeks of boot camp. We swam a total of 5 times I believe. The initial test, putting on the Mustang suit, and 3 swim cycle workouts. That was it.

Every week the training schedule is the exact same for the companies. So a company today is doing the same thing a company 5 weeks ago did. It never changes.

........ and on the seventh day Jack Bauer said, "I'll take it from here.

........ and on the seventh day Jack Bauer said, "I'll take it from here.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    COASTIE_CLEMENTINE

--
    17 Aug 2009 12:59 AM
    I am a total swimmer, knowing we don't get that much water time is sucky, but then again I'll be in/on the water for the rest of my career...

~Semper Paratus~

~Semper Paratus~

Steven413

--
    14 Feb 2020 07:40 AM
    Is the rules when treading for 5 minutes. I can stay upright straight as a needle in the water with my head above water only moving my arms when I go to breath. Would this count or do they make have to tread water a certain style such as eggbeater and ect .
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    14 Feb 2020 09:59 AM
    Posted By Steven413 on 14 Feb 2020 08:40 AM
    Is the rules when treading for 5 minutes. I can stay upright straight as a needle in the water with my head above water only moving my arms when I go to breath. Would this count or do they make have to tread water a certain style such as eggbeater and ect .

As long as you tread water for five minutes, your're fine.  Don't overthink this
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement