Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AST Airman Program
Last Post 22 Nov 2010 01:14 PM by USCGforMe. 179 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 612345 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
pakzone08

--
28 Jun 2009 09:52 PM
    My son will be entering his AST airman program the beginning of Aug. Can anyone tell me if communication with family is more restricted once he starts. Is it like the beginning of BC where there is none, or like now where we can talk to him pretty much every day? I would prefer to not talk to him for 4 months so he stays focused on his mission in front of him. Its his girlfriend that scares me, she is constantly texting and calling him. Its going to be hard enough for him, the fewer distractions the better.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    28 Jun 2009 10:13 PM
    He will be able to call and write. The Airman program is not strict as boot camp. One of the skills he will need to develop is the ability to focus on the task at hand and at times compartmentalize. It will be a skill that he will use consistently throughout his career as an AST.

I wish him the best!
    Vr,

Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    28 Jun 2009 10:13 PM
    Sorry I do not know an answer to your question but wanted to say how awesome for your son!

I truly wish him the best of success. If you do get to keep up communication please keep us posted of his progress.

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    luckyunblock

--
    28 Jun 2009 10:56 PM
    I'm interested in being an Aviation Survival Technician......I'm active duty in the Marines, and I EAS 18JUN2010......I'm currently on my second deployment in Iraq.....I'm an E-4, and run a 286 pft......How should I prepare myself for the "A" school (Physical and Mental)? What should I expect while in school? Is there a website or place I can get the PUB's that is taught in the school? Also what boot's, fin's, and shoe's do you PT in while attending the school? If anyone could help, or link me up with someone that can I would really appreciate it!!
    Cpl Varney JS
    3/3 Lima Co.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    28 Jun 2009 11:08 PM
    luckyunblock said...
    I'm interested in being an Aviation Survival Technician......I'm active duty in the Marines, and I EAS 18JUN2010......I'm currently on my second deployment in Iraq.....I'm an E-4, and run a 286 pft......How should I prepare myself for the "A" school (Physical and Mental)? What should I expect while in school? Is there a website or place I can get the PUB's that is taught in the school? Also what boot's, fin's, and shoe's do you PT in while attending the school? If anyone could help, or link me up with someone that can I would really appreciate it!!
    Cpl Varney JS
    3/3 Lima Co.
    These may be helpful;

I have what fins they use in a archived email at work I will pull it up Monday and post it if someone does not post it before then.

I wish you the best and THANK YOU for you service to our country!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    28 Jun 2009 11:42 PM
    this is the second thread you have asked for the info. but congrats and thank you for your service.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    pakzone08

--
    29 Jun 2009 12:13 AM
    Thank you Chuck for the help. I was hoping for a little more restriction, but knowing my son if his girlfriend gets to be a distraction he will set her straight so he can accomplish his goal.

Capt. thank you also, will keep you posted on progress. Hopefully it will continue for the next 8 months or so. Also Capt. my sons first love was the Portland Fire Dept. in high school. He went through the 2 year explorer program, took the test and made it to the interview process( 1 of 500 others) but that was as far as he went that year. He was only 19 at the time. He didn't want to wait around for 2 more years so I told him to check out the CG. And there he is, probably for a career.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 6/29/2009 1:27:33 AM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    noregrets

--
    29 Jun 2009 01:30 AM
    That is amazing! Congratulations to your son!!! That's a huge accomplishment... you should be very proud.

Sara

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    -- Gandhi

"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team.  I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."
    -- Mia Hamm

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    29 Jun 2009 04:05 AM
    The airman program is basically a 9-5 job just like any seaman's job would be. He will go home every night and won't have too many restrictions put on him. It is simply a train up period for him to learn about aviation especially becoming an AST.

Just like anyone else, he won't be texting or emailing on the job but he can do what he wants in his free time. Don't worry too much, he will set his priorities pretty quickly.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    pakzone08

--
    29 Jun 2009 06:55 PM
    Thank you sardaddy. Its great to have this forum when there are questions.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    30 Jun 2009 03:28 AM
    Pakzone, your son has selected an awesome second choice without question I highly recommend the CG to many young men and women...my son being one of them...I just wish he would listen...LOL

The firefighter entrance process is extremely challenging ranking right up there with becoming a coastie from what I have recently learned ...excellent job with your son, at a very young age, making it to that stage of the hiring process. It is very competitive. We will have anywhere from 600 to 1200 applicants take our test for 6 to 10 positions.

To even be looked at by the Garland Fire Department one must score in the high 90% on our entrance test. Then be able to pass the physical agility test the following morning on little sleep, survive a grueling background investigation with a very detailed investigator (we will know more about you then you know about yourself at this point), then a torturous interview with 12 to 15 fire officers and personal along with a few citizens all staring you down watching you squirm and turn ghostly pale in the chair. If they get past that they must then fill out a detailed polygraph packet and meet my expectations as I review it and then pass the polygraph test to ensure truthfulness then submit immunization records and take a college entrance test. If this is all good they will then get to interview with the Chief of the department and be offered a job contingent on passing a thorough medical exam and drug screen...at which point they get to spend 15 1/2 weeks with me tormenting (mentoring) them...devil

If he ever changes his mind about the CG as a career please feel free to send him my way www.garlandfire.com

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    pakzone08

--
    30 Jun 2009 10:05 AM
    Thanks Capt.,have to tell his most proud moment in the explorer program. It was his second year and they were going to the training facility that day. One task was to climb the tower in full gear with hose on shoulder 6 times. He came home proud and told me he made 2 of the rookies puke. I asked him how he did that, and he told me they were trying to keep up with him climbing the tower. I laughed.

I will pass the word about Garland Fire.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    30 Jun 2009 12:43 PM
    pakzone08 said...
    Thanks Capt.,have to tell his most proud moment in the explorer program. It was his second year and they were going to the training facility that day. One task was to climb the tower in full gear with hose on shoulder 6 times. He came home proud and told me he made 2 of the rookies puke. I asked him how he did that, and he told me they were trying to keep up with him climbing the tower. I laughed.

I will pass the word about Garland Fire.
    AWESOME!!

That is a required task of all of my rookies. I will slowly build them up to that, starting out in just PT gear running stairs, to bunker gear, to bunker gear and SCBA to the full monty with the hose load...

Their first time is a hoot...they will quit lay down and flop around like a fish out of water with diarrhea thinking they are going to die right then and there. Before the academy is over they all will be completing it with ease and confidence and could probably do it again on the same bottle of air. The transformation is great to see in them.

With all of their gear and my 90 pound hose load they are carrying 150+ pounds extra up 18 flights of stairs. It is all mental after about 6 flights.

I like him already...would love to have him!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    07 Jul 2009 01:08 PM
    Hi
    AST school in E-City NC.
    They train from about 0630 sometimes earlier, break about 0930, lunch about 1130, finish the day at about 1530. They are in the pool training every other day. Off days in classroom.
    Spend evenings in pool training on their own, or working out.
    Sat and Sun off. Can't go more than 100 mi. from base.
    No internet access on base.
    They must go into town to the coffee shop and use their lap top.
    They can call and text when on breaks or lunch, my son does.
    Mail is very slow.
    Make sure you have all the right info for the address with his graduation class #.
    The youngest class sorts and delivers the mail, sometimes it take a while to get mail to your Seaman.
    They get to bed at around 2000 on weekdays.
    Piece of cake.
    JK

Coastie Dad&Mom and Sunny

Sunny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    pakzone08

--
    08 Jul 2009 03:11 AM
    Sunny, thanks for the rundown, good to get an idea of what he will be going through. One more question for you, does he have a car there, or does he hang out with someone that has one.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    08 Jul 2009 11:53 AM
    Yes he has a car.
    Elizabeth City isn't the greatest place to be for 6mons. without a car.
    My son is doing (summer school) 'till FriAug28 graduation. There are only two in the AST program who hope to graduate then. Both have cars.
    JK

Coastie Dad&Mom and Sunny

Sunny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    13 Aug 2009 03:08 PM
    I just received a happy call from my son, he passed his last test, and he'll graduate with one other Coastie on FriAug28 in E-City, NC.
    All he has to do is keep his nose clean for two weeks.
    He'll be an AST apprentice, then off to Kodiak, AK and then to CA to EMT school for three weeks.
    Thank the Lord.

Sunny
    krshepar

--
    13 Aug 2009 03:25 PM
    That is so awesome!!!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Aug 2009 03:38 PM
    Congratulations!!! That's great news.

Proud mom of

SN Robertson, Colin

USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    13 Aug 2009 05:12 PM
    What an Honor!

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    noregrets

--
    13 Aug 2009 06:13 PM
    That's so amazing! Congratulations to your son!!! Man, I bet that you couldn't be more proud! Wish him all the best from all of us.

Sara

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
    -- Gandhi

"I am a member of a team, and I rely on the team.  I defer to it and sacrifice for it, because the team, not the individual, is the ultimate champion."
    -- Mia Hamm

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    pakzone08

--
    13 Aug 2009 07:45 PM
    Sunny that is AWESOME, hope to have my son follow in about 9 months. Alaska, one of the great places to be stationed in the CG.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 8/13/2009 8:46:44 PM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    proudUSCGpop

--
    13 Aug 2009 09:01 PM
    Congratulations on your son's graduation! My son reports August 17th to Elizabeth City to begin his AST A School, the journey begins. He is physically ready and I believe mentally ready, his mentors told him he has what it takes, he just has to hang in then the going gets touch. Encouraging words from those who have been through it are what he needed to hear now. One thing he told me that got him through in boot camp was to not look out to his graduation day, but look to the next meal. He was able to handle the stresses if he could make it to his next meal.

Richard
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    14 Aug 2009 03:03 AM
    Richard
    Congatulation on your son entering the AST program.
    I don't know if they make the "baby class" watch the graduation.
    We'll be there.
    We got a 4bdrm. waterfront house on the base for $40. a nite. Staying one nite then graduation, then off to Ocean City, MD for a long weekend.

You are right.
    The training is so intense that you should only focus on what's at hand.
    If you have any underlying medical problems they manifest themselves in training.
    The first 3 months is mostly physical training to get you ready for the real training for the next 3 months. Endurance is the key.
    I hope he does well and graduates.
    JK

Sunny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    26 Aug 2009 10:59 AM
    Hey People
    We are leaving for E-City, NC ThuAug27am for the Fri. AST Graduation.
    Hope to post some pictures after.
    I havn't heard from my son yet. He supposed to have had his ocean drop on Tues.
    I told him to take the camera. I'll post those pixs too if there are any.
    JK

Sunny
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    26 Aug 2009 05:48 PM
    What an awesome accomplishment for your son.

Enjoy every proud moment sunny!

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    31 Aug 2009 03:07 PM
    ProudUSCGPop said...
    Congratulations on your son's graduation! My son reports August 17th to Elizabeth City to begin his AST A School, the journey begins. He is physically ready and I believe mentally ready, his mentors told him he has what it takes, he just has to hang in then the going gets touch. Encouraging words from those who have been through it are what he needed to hear now. One thing he told me that got him through in boot camp was to not look out to his graduation day, but look to the next meal. He was able to handle the stresses if he could make it to his next meal.

Richard

Hey Richard
    This is a photo of your son and the rest of the class taken FriAug28 09. One lady and six gentlemen.
    Had a great time at graduation and E-City. I took a slew of pixs and video.
    I have to reduce all the pix so I can post them.
    JK

Sunny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sunny717

--
    31 Aug 2009 06:12 PM
    Thank you all for your kind words and support.
    See attached pix of class 75-09.
    Erich J. Klingner and Jason E. Flynt.
    JK

Sunny
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Sammy T

--
    31 Aug 2009 10:23 PM
    That is awesome! EXTREMELY AWESOME!!

I do have a question tho...

First, are there any minimun height/weight requriments to become AST? Would someone my size, 5'7 - 145 pounds on my tallest days have any trouble for lack of hieght and weight. I mean I do understand I would have time to put some more meat on my bones but I think my growth is maxed out. I really want to go AST i just don't want my size presenting an issue.

thanks

'The will of God will never take us where the Grace of God will not protect us.'

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    proudUSCGpop

--
    31 Aug 2009 11:04 PM
    JK,

Thanks much for the photo, his mother and I are praying daily for him and his class. He is entering week 3 and said it is getting rougher day by day. He said in the morning they did a PT that blasted their legs and then they were tested in the 800 yard equipment swim. They are being tested on Wednesday with the rescue basket. They have to take all they have learned so far (entrance, approach, basket) and put it all together and complete it without error in a specified time. Whew, I'm tired just thinking about.

That is a great shot of your son and his classmate. The buttons on your shirt are busting off. Is he off to EMT school or did he get a station assignment?

Thanks again
    Richard
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 612345 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement