Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Depot and BM school
Last Post 10 Jul 2009 07:45 PM by bnk183. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DTH

--
09 Jul 2009 01:52 AM
    I may get to attend Depot and BM school

Depot is a brief reserve entrance training? 3 weeks in Connecticut?

Is BM school for reserve different than for active duty?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    09 Jul 2009 10:57 AM
    DEPOT is for prior enlisted and is an INTENSIVE abbreviated boot camp at Training Center Cape May,NJ. Only those prior service whose skills translate directly to a Coast Guard Rating are eligible. Are you prior service? What branch and what was your MOS/Rating?

BM "A" school is located in Yorktown Virginia.

Glad to answer anything else you might want to know.

Pepper
    note: DEPOT is a brand new program just coming online at Cape May,and as such little info is available. Talk to your recruiter.

10AC4ME

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 7/9/2009 4:03:47 AM GMT

DTH

--
    09 Jul 2009 01:00 PM
    Thanks for reply. My recruiter stated that these were the programs/training I would get if I pass my physical. I will ask my recruiter for more information on the training when we next meet but I am hoping to get a better understanding now. My concern is the time requirements for training. I am guessing it is about 15 weeks of training. Secondly, I would be curious to know a bit more about what it will be like. In general, I think it will be an adventure of sorts and look forward to it.

In Regards to BM school.... My current understanding is that reserve BM school is 12 weeks in Yorktown and as a CG reserve, scheduling to take the class happens quickly. Please correct me if I am wrong.

In regards to DEPOT. The best I have found is that it is a 3 week program that is currently in transition or development. I don't have prior military experience.

I would also be interested to talk about what it is like to be a BM in the reserve. What is it like during drill ect.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    09 Jul 2009 03:01 PM
    It's all a bit fuzzy. I believe that DEPOT is only for prior service people who have attained the rank of E-4 and above in another service. REBI is the program the CG uses for reserve folks. Here's the link: http://www.uscg.mil/hq/capeMay/Trai...s/REBI.asp

The BM "A" school is in Yorktown:

The Coast Guard is totally revamping how they train prior enlisted, as well as reservists so it is still unclear how this new process works (to me,anyway). Maybe someone who is more up to speed can clarify this. Trust your recruiter, they are in the loop, and I am certainly not.

Let us know what you find out so we all can learn. We needed a guinea pig!

Good Luck

Pepper

10AC4ME

DTH

--
    09 Jul 2009 03:51 PM
    Thanks for the links.

I will post what I learn when I next speak with my recruiter.
    bnk183

--
    10 Jul 2009 01:56 AM
    REBI (non prior service with civilian skill) and PSTP (prior service) are combining to become DEPOT. REBI was 12 days and PSTP was 5 weeks. DEPOT will be 3 weeks. I believe it will be open to prior service and non prior with civilian skill that translates to a CG rate.  You will be coming in as a petty officer at least an E4.  I came in as an E5, there was even an E6 in my REBI.  I heard that they are going to stop letting people go to REBI (now DEPOT) as a SN with guaranteed A-School, we had a few of those in our class too. Good luck to you.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    10 Jul 2009 02:39 AM
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully the Cape May website will be updated soon and spell it out clearly. Postings on other websites are very unclear, hopefully Chukles will be able to give us the official word when he gets back.

Thanks

Pepper

10AC4ME

DTH

--
    10 Jul 2009 03:32 PM
    I think I have seen this somewhere before but I can't find it now. I believe the answers were No and Yes respectively. Here are the questions.

Is the cost of travel to these programs covered?

Is there pay during these periods?

Other questions.

Do reservists go to drill while waiting to participate in these programs?

When does a reservist become eligible for health insurance programs via the Coast Guard?
    bnk183

--
    10 Jul 2009 07:45 PM
    1) The cost of travel is covered. Airfare to Philly and bus ride to Cape May, and vice versa when you are done.

2)You are paid active duty pay plus BAH and BAS.

3) I do not believe that you drill waiting to go to boot camp.  They won't let you "raise your right hand" until you are less than 2-3 months from your ship date.  Something about not accruing points for a good year, there is no DEP for reservists.

4) You have coverage for you and dependants with 31 or more days active duty.
    However, if you are on orders less than that and are injured on Coast Guard time they will take care of you, not your dependants.  You can also purchase Tricare for resevists while not on active duty (if you don't have coverage through your civilian job).  I can't remember the cost, but it is relatively cheap.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement