Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
New Member!
Last Post 11 Sep 2009 02:32 PM by Old Guard2. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
TXCG09

--
05 Sep 2009 01:59 AM
    Hello all,

My name is Larry Suggs and I am currently a MST3 stationed in Port Arthur,TX. I am active duty in the Coast Guard and I have been in today is the 2 year mark.
    MST3 Suggs
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    05 Sep 2009 02:35 AM
    congrats on the pay raise then MST3 hope you enjoy it here. there are some great people here and they try to pass very accurate information
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    05 Sep 2009 02:49 AM
    haha yeah thanks I think it's going up about 80 bucks that'll be some gas money!

MST3 Suggs
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Sep 2009 03:33 AM
    I'm a Ft Worth girl and a former wife of an M guy... welcome aboard! :)

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    05 Sep 2009 04:01 AM
    thanks! hey I hope there are better areas of TX than here!! lol I am sure there are..

MST3 Suggs
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    07 Sep 2009 04:32 AM
    Welcome I look forward to posting with you!

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    texascgmom

--
    07 Sep 2009 06:21 PM
    Welcome to Texas, Suggs!! I'm from the Aransas Pass/Port Aransas area. My son graduated boot in July and is stationed in Ohio. He's thinking about going MST or BM.

Tina
    Proud Mom of SN Lueders
    Sta. Fairport, Ohio

"MoM" to FN Coover
    Station Cleveland Harbor, Ohio

My "Guardians of the Great Lakes"

Proud Mom to SN Lueders - "Mom" to FN Coover - Soon to be AET's
    AMT3

--
    08 Sep 2009 01:16 AM
    Hey Everyone,

My name is Sean Morrison. I am an AMT3 at HITRON Jacksonville, FL. I was a BM2 at Station New London and decided to change rates.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    08 Sep 2009 03:19 AM
    Welcome aboard AMT3 Morrison!

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Onelove

--
    10 Sep 2009 11:20 AM
    Glad to see a MST3 on this board, I have some questions about going MST and I was wondering if you could answer some of them for me. Glad to see you on the forums.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Sep 2009 11:44 AM
    My ex husband was an MST when he was enlisted and is a very good M officer... Any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer. I can tell you it is really nice life, he has loved every minute of it! He is on his way to his first tour in Iraq in a few months... something he has waited 19 years for so I know he is really excited.

We have a couple of MST's on the board when they check in I know they'll be happy to talk to you about their jobs.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    10 Sep 2009 05:42 PM
    welcome aboard morrison. i know a soon to be graduate from os a-school who will be joining you at hitron.

also a warm welcome to suggs. we look forward to the valuable information you both will be able to share with us.

Jen
    Proud Coastguard Mom of
    SN Church, Brittney R.
    OS A-School
    Petaluma, Ca

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    10 Sep 2009 08:39 PM
    Also wanted to say welcome to MST3 Suggs and AMT3 Morrison. It's great to have you on the board. Looking forward to your posts. My daughter is an MST3 as well. She's in Seattle on the Polar Sea. Just left for a three month science expedition to the Arctic. It's her first purely scientific trip since she got assigned there after A school last year and she's pretty excited. And to Onelove, I might be able to answer a few questions about MST. Of course, Suggs and Macie have more knowledge on that topic....I can only relate to what they do on an icebreaker....but I might be able to contribute alittle bit of info.

Laurie

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 9/10/2009 1:53:01 PM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    11 Sep 2009 06:23 AM
    LTate that is really cool. I am married so those long tours on polar rollers doesn't sound too great. I bet she's loving it though! I am new to the whole MST world. At my unit I am also stuck answering phones and listening to radios. If you know what being on "watch" is in the CG it's pretty much that. I will be moving on to facilities in a year so I am pretty happy. I am stationed in Texas on the Gulf so a lot of stuff to do around for MST's.

MST3 Suggs
    Onelove

--
    11 Sep 2009 10:19 AM
    Some questions I have are, do you work normal hours (8-4) throughout the week? Do you get to go home everyday working at a MSU or Sector? I had no idea MST's stood any kind of watch. How much of an office job is it? Was learning all the codes of regulations at A school a lot of information to take in and retain? You moving to facilities means that you're going to be inspecting buildings in Port Arthur? Is it a stressful job? Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Sep 2009 11:44 AM
    My ex was home just about every night when he was a young enlisted. He was assigned to Marine Safety Detachment Kodiak, it was him and an LT. That was it, entire unit. He worked a pretty regular 7-4 sort of day. There were some days longer, some shorter for varying reasons. He carried a beeper 24/7, the LT did not respond to calls at 2am, that was the Petty Officers job, the LT did his turn at those. So he was basically always on duty. He didn't actually stand a watch anywhere, he was home in bed but if that phone rang or that beeper went off, he was gone. He had the government rig 24/7, he was expected to respond at a moment's notice. His LT was also not unsympathetic to this situation and we would go out but he was still expected to hear that beeper no matter how loud the band was at the Mecca!

The LT left for Sturgeon Bay and he was on his own. That was a tough road until the next LT got there. But he had a different sort of deal, he was assigned to the MSO in Anchorage and visited Kodiak. My ex would do Cook Inlet flyovers looking for boats spilling oil, fishing illegally or any other little M type problem. He LOVED every minute of his job and yes, it was a tremendous amount of responsibility. However, he is an incredibly reliable person to the CG.

He has never served a day aboard a ship. He has always been at MSD's or MSO's. He is getting ready to head to Iraq in a few months to assume command of a joint NATO/DOD task force inspecting tankers coming into Iraq. He can quote you CFR's without even thinking about them, he just knows them. I wouldn't give you much for him as a husband and I'm not breaking any banks as a wife in his mind... But those that have had a chance to serve with him or work for him, they are very lucky Coasties. He is one of the best. I am very proud of his accomplishments.

MST really is a great rating... but it will be my 2nd favorite now since our son is going to OS school sometime in the near future. OS will be dearest to me! :-)

If there is anything else you want to know, just ask. Where are you stationed? Do you have access to any MST-types? I'll b happy to pass your name along to my ex and if you have any questions, he'll be happy to answer them for you.

best of luck!
    Macie

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Sep 2009 11:48 AM
    Oh... he was also all alone on Kodiak when the Exxon Valdez ran aground in March of 89. It wasn't supposed to hit Kodiak but a storm changed the direction of the oil. He single handedly set up the Incident Command Post in Kodiak and got everything up & running & moving for the masses to show up and start cleaning.

Capt Joe Hazelwood is our hero... that was a huge catalyst in getting my ex to OCS as quickly as it did. My husband never received anything lower than a 6.5 on his marks for all of his time on Kodiak.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    11 Sep 2009 02:12 PM
    oh yeah macie~like a MST3 isn't going to be intimidated by shooting off an email to the commander. plz~too much brass for the low guy on the pole. scare the poo right out of the poor guy!!

geez :):)

Jen
    Proud Coastguard Mom of
    SN Church, Brittney R.
    OS A-School
    Petaluma, Ca

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Sep 2009 02:32 PM
    The Commander thinks he walks on water but he sinks like a stone, just like the rest of us! He's only a Commander... come on! It's not like he's a Captain or something... oh wait, the promotion list should be out soon! LOL

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement