Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Should I join the Coast Guard?
Last Post 17 Jul 2006 10:57 PM by RevGunzWife. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Xanithar

--
08 Mar 2006 09:14 PM
    I am a 27 year old married male. With a 2 month old baby and a new house.

My wife is pressuring me to do something more important with my life. So I thought about the Coast Guard.

I'm not so worried about pay as I'm worried about how I'm going to live. My wife will stay in our new home with the baby and hire a live in nannie if I do join. However I'm curious if we would have to receive a BAH on our home. That would mean we would have to refinance it with BAH? I'm in Austin TX, semi far from the coast. So Obviously I don't want to move to some far away state. 

I've heard of some Coast Guard positions that are on the boat and go out for 3 months and then have 3 months off? I don't want to get caught in a bind trying to pay for my new house and then a place for my own while I'm in the Coast Guard. Because I'm not going to relocate my home or my family.

I'll just be away for a while and visit my family as much as possible. So I don't know what to really do on that matter.

Also, Does the Coast Guard go to Iraq and dangerous foreign countries or are they purely home security?  
    sean13

--
    21 Mar 2006 06:38 AM
    hey was just browsint he forums. i leave for boot camp may 2nd, so i dont know everything, but i might be able to help you out a bit.

i know that coast gaurd does have medical and housing benefits for both you and ur family. youll get a housing allowance for ur wife and child, and also when you stay on land, youll have a housing allowance.

when are on a seagoing cutter, its 2-3 months udnerway and 2-3 months on land.
    thats only like that for seagoing cutters. i heard that thats the trend for new recruits out of boot camp if u dont have a garunteed A-school, is to go on a cutter until u can transfer or get onto an A-school.
    if ur on a small boat station or an air station, u have certain days/hours u work and u have certain days off as well.

if you have a family (as you do) they can be stationed with you and live in the community around that port.

im fairly certain that information is correct, like i said, i leave may 2nd and i dont know everything.

my best bet would be to contact a local recruiter. if u dont know/have one, go to the coast guards website and i think itll have a search for recruiters around your area. they can tell u everything u need to know, its their job.

any questions or whatever, just email me smahoney1331@yahoo.com
    RevGunzWife

--
    17 Jul 2006 10:57 PM
    The fact that you are very inflexible about moving is a good indicator that the gaurd is NOT for you.
    Ultimately you can't control where you go though you do get a little say. Your family would have to relocate at some point, I can assure you that. Perhaps you should consider teh Coast Gaurd Reserves. Check out the info on USCG.mil
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement