Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
CG IS family
Last Post 13 Aug 2009 02:33 PM by pepperdoggie. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
pakzone08

--
03 Aug 2009 10:04 AM
    So my son left Cordova AK this past Sat. and is headed to Sitka. He had his truck packed up and had to be at the ferry dock at 0630. While he was there his Chief showed up with his wife and 2 kids to see him off. That really surprised him. His Chief presented him with a plaque with the Cordova seal on it, in remembrance of the first leg of his journey. Chief also told him there is another plaque in Sitka waiting for him. Chief didn't want to get too sentimental but off to the side the Chief's wife told Brandon that the Chief was going to miss him.
    Earlier in the week the 3 permanent party members had a party for him and bought him a gift. There is a company called Copper River Fleece with not cheap outerwear. They had put their money together and bought him a jacket.
    He will never forget his experiences in Cordova, would have never had them if he wasn't in the CG. My wife, younger son and myself were lucky enough to travel up there this past June and visit him for a week, something we would have never done if he wasn't in the CG. His Chief gave him liberty's while we were there just for that reason. The CG truly is family, they take care of their own. He is in good hands.
    He got off the ferry at Valdez and is now driving 700+ miles through the interior of AK. He drives NE to TOK across the Canadian border and down to Haines AK to board the ferry to reach his next stop at Sitka. Airman program here he comes!! The adventure continues!
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    03 Aug 2009 12:06 PM
    Way Awesome!

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Aug 2009 01:24 PM
    The friends you make at some stations will stay with you forever. Chief's... they act so tough, but they are just big ol' softies! Your son is going to have a beautiful drive! I hope he doesn't have to fly through it and can enjoy just a bit. :)

Good luck on the Airman program!!!! :-)

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    lgt

--
    03 Aug 2009 02:57 PM
    Great story, thanks for sharing! And good luck to your son in his new adventure!
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    04 Aug 2009 10:18 PM
    congratulations!!
    how awesome to be moving on to the next leg of his coastie adventure.

the captain on the haley presented britt with an awesome plaque and certificate upon her departure from the ship. it is on a shelf with her other military accomplishments so we can be proud!!!

Jen
    Proud Coastguard Mom of
    SN Church, Brittney R.
    CGC Alex Haley
    Kodiak, Alaska

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    05 Aug 2009 03:38 PM
    Excellent post!

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    09 Aug 2009 02:18 PM
    chukles said...
    Excellent post!

Made me smile. Thanks for sharing, you guys.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    PennieAnnie

--
    09 Aug 2009 11:45 PM
    What a touching story, thanks so much for sharing and good luck to you son on his next adventure! I agree about the CG being family~it is amazing! I am so happy that my son decided to join this great Family!!!!
    God Bless!

Wendy
    Coastie Mom to
    SN Travis Savidge
    USCGC Bear, Portsmouth, VA

Wendy
    Coastie Mom to
    SN Travis Savidge
    USCGC Bear, Portsmouth, VA
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lan56

--
    10 Aug 2009 02:19 AM
    Excellent story!!!! That is so cool--very good to hear about your son!!!
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    11 Aug 2009 04:22 PM
    I've posted this story before, but it shows how much the Coast Guard can be very supportive of family.

In 2003 my son was on the CGC Storis (now decommissioned) smack dab in the middle of the Bering Sea doing a 2 month fisheries patrol. While underway, we had to email him the sad news that his great-grandmother had died in Illinois. He was quite upset, as they were very close. The XO of the ship noticied that he was sad, and asked him the reason. After he gave my son his condolences, the XO immediately spoke to the Captain who called him to his office and informed my son he was diverting the Cutter to Dutch Harbor. He granted an immediate emergency 10 day leave. He also handed him a check for $1000 to cover any expenses he would have. They arrived in Dutch Harbor the following afternoon, where a CG C-130 had been diverted to deliver him back to Kodiak Island. His Yeoman at Kodiak had already booked him a commercial flight to Chicago...and even offered to have someone pick him up at the airport and transport him to the funeral. That was not necessary, as we were able to pick him up and take him home with us. He attended the funeral, and one week later rejoined his Cutter in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

I was working for a school district at the time, and when I requested 2 days bereavement leave to attend the funeral,  they denied my request because she was not a "blood relative". Ironic and sad that a public institution couldn't treat their employees with the same dignity and respect that the Coast Guard showed my son. I simply called in "sick" so I could attend.

That's my family's Coast Guard story...And that's when I was completely satisfied that my son would be well taken care of.

Best wishes,

Pepper

10AC4ME

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    pakzone08

--
    12 Aug 2009 01:57 AM
    WOW, thats an incredible story!! Story's like that make me feel good and that my son made a great choice.
    He is now in week 1 and haven't had much communication with him which is fine with me. I did hear he had to carry around a mannequin head with him everywhere. When he was asked why he had it with him he said because he was told to. Then someone else asked him he gave the same answer. Then the guy that asked him said," Oh you must be the new swimmer." I laughed.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    lan56

--
    12 Aug 2009 02:26 AM
    Wow what a great story pepperdoggie!! I have never heard of any other organization, company, etc.... showing such care for its people. Seems like the CG is the perfect organization to be a part of!!!

Pakzone, is your son in boot camp or AST A-school?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    pakzone08

--
    12 Aug 2009 02:59 AM
    He is in his first week of his Airman Program.
    Relentless

--
    13 Aug 2009 09:58 AM
    That is a great story and if the CO was Captain McCauley by chance the last CO of the Storis I am not surprised at all. He is an outstanding leader and one who always takes care of his crew only asking for hard work, professionalism, become qualified and work on your promotions. I sailed with him when he was CO of Firebush back in 1999 and still keep in touch with him and my other CO Capt Craig Gilbert.

Coast Guard is family and I often refer to it as a Firehouse feeling where everyone works together and depends on each other and eventually become life long friends with many.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Aug 2009 11:46 AM
    Relentless,

You mention the Storis & the Firebush... Were you in Kodiak in the late 80's, early 90's? I was trying to remember the name of the 4th boat that was there way back when and I can't come up with it. Yocona, Storis, Firebush & wasn't there another bouy tender??????

See, even I still have questions! : )

Proud mom of

SN Robertson, Colin

USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    13 Aug 2009 02:30 PM
    LOL...but your's are the tough ones I do not know... :-)

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    13 Aug 2009 02:33 PM
    Relentless said...
    if the CO was Captain McCauley by chance
    I believe it was Captain Cerne. My son really admired him alot. He took really good care of the crew. He took them moose hunting in the Aleutians, salmon fishing, and gave the enlisted people liberty in Seattle while the Officers stood watch.

10AC4ME

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement