Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
College Student Pre-Commissioning Program
Last Post 21 May 2010 07:14 PM by Cooch. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
SemperParatusNick

--
12 Jan 2010 12:24 AM
    I understand it for the most part but want to get a few things straightened out. My junior and senior year of college, I won't actually be doing anything with the Coast Guard? I know they will give me a salary and pay for my school but I won't actually be doing anything with them?
    And I know for a fact that officers still have to go through basic training. But I'd also have to go to Officer Candidate School. So what happens? Once I graduate from college am I immediately sent to basic training? And after that I'm sent to Officer Candidate School? Can someone please explain this to me?
    Semper Paratus
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    12 Jan 2010 12:46 AM
    Semper,

You will apply to the CSPI program and if picked up, you will attend boot camp and actually enlist into the Coast Guard as an E3 prior to attending your Junior year.

While in college, you are required to work "X" number of hours for the nearest recruiting office weekly. The summer between Junior and Senior year you will attend a class at the US Coast Guard academy followed by a two week assignment somewhere within the Coast Guard.

Any breaks or days off that do not reflect in the CG will be spent at the discretion of the Recruiting office in charge of you. If you want time off you will take leave.

Once graduated from school you will attend a 17 week Officer Candidate School. From there its off to your first unit for a three year commitment.

You must maintain weight standards and eligibility requirements throughout your entire program. Fail out and you owe the CG the remainder of your 4 year enlistment.

Here is a good link to the CSPI program at our recruiting website.

CSPI

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    SemperParatusNick

--
    12 Jan 2010 12:57 AM
    Will the boot camp be during the summer? Will it affect the classes I go to?
    Oh and you say that I will need to do certain hours of service. How can I do these if the nearest office is like two hours away?

Semper Paratus

Semper Paratus
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    12 Jan 2010 01:18 AM
    Your office will work with you on that, Boot camp is during the summer.

Have you spoke to a recruiter or seen if you meet the minimum requirements? If not, Give em a call!

Vr,
    Chuck

These poor, plain men, dwellers upon the lonely sands of Hatteras, took their lives in their hands, and, at the most imminent risk crossed the most tumultuous sea…and all for what? That others might live to see home and friends. — Annual Report of the U.S. Life- Saving Service, 1885

Recruiting Website

Read here for answers to the most often asked questions about joining the Coast Guard!

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Shuckers86

--
    25 Jan 2010 05:34 PM
    My son is currently in the CSPI program. He is currently in his junior year in college. The program pays for everything tuition, books, fees, housing, etc. But don't be fooled thinking you are only a college student, CSPIs are members of the USCG. They are called OTs, which stands for officer in training. My son spent his entire Christmas break as a working member of a CG station. His duties included painting, cleaning, patrols, and even a SAR. As for next summer he will spend some time at the CG Academy like Chukles stated but he will also serve at least 2 months on a cutter as an enlisted man. During the school year he wears his uniform to school once a week, reports to the recruiting station, and every month or so he serves at a small boat station. He has also helps with recruiting for the CSPI program and is an attendant at CG funerals.
    The program is great for him. It pays for his school while giving him a taste of the CG life as an enlisted man. Hopefully the expirence will make him a better officer in the USCG
    lau13ren

--
    27 Jan 2010 01:28 AM
    I'm in the CSPI program. Any time there is a break, winter, spring, and especially summer--> your working. Going TAD at a small boat station, on various cutters, sector, or airstation. For example, this summer I will be heading on a 210 out of Dallas before heading to OCS. Last summer I spent 3 weeks training at the academy, went on the USCGC Eagle for 3 weeks, and spent a little over a month at a small boat station focusing on law enforcement and SAR. If you want time off during holidays, you have to take leave. Kiss your college easy summers goodbye.. But this program is definetely worth it. Your still considered active duty and with that comes the ethics and responsibilities of a USCG member. If you have any questions regarding CSPI or anything related to such, just shoot me a message.

-Lauren
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Jan 2010 12:49 PM
    A 210' out of Dallas, TX? (Little far from the ocean don't ya think?) Or the 378', CGC Dallas out of Charleston, SC?

"When you fall on your face, you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    CGBrat

--
    20 May 2010 03:54 AM
    When did they change the requirements? I remember it used to be you could go to any school you wanted and CSPI would cover the bill as long as that school had >25% minority enrollment.

Now they have specific schools you have to go to? Kinda sucks, but I guess if they think they need diversity, this is what they have to do.
    Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    21 May 2010 07:14 PM
    Here is the link to the description of the CSPI program.

Here are the links to find out if your school qualifies:

Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU)

Hispanic Serving Institutions (HSI)
    http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/edlite-minorityinst-list-hisp-tab.html

Tribal Colleges and Universities (TCU)http://www2.ed.gov/about/inits/list/whtc/edlite-tclist.html
    In addition, colleges and universities located in Guam, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands also qualify.

"To me, clowns aren't funny. In fact, they're kinda scary. I've wondered where this started, and I think it goes back to the time I went to the circus and a clown killed my dad." - Deep Thought by Jack Handey

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement