Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Striking
Last Post 29 Mar 2010 08:45 PM by Gears. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Pitt09

--
12 Jan 2010 01:40 AM
    I'll be shipping out to Cape May in a few months, and so far my biggest concern is the question of which rate to choose and how to achieve it. I'm aware that the A-school lists are fairly long for just about every rate, which brings up the possibility of striking, something I haven't heard much about from anyone who has actually done it. I know that striking has the added difficulty of studying, practicing, and getting qualified on top of a normal day of duty, but with the amount of non-rates trying to go to A-school, it might be worth it. I'm confident I can manage my time well enough to strike a rate, I was just interested in hearing some opinions from people who have gone that direction, especially since it is something my recruiter brings up whenever I mention a rate. Now the big question is BM vs. MK. I'm sure that will answer itself in due time.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    12 Jan 2010 02:36 AM
    You will know BM or Mk at your first unit.

One of the posters here was striking BM but 'dropped out' because he decided that it wasn't quite what he wanted to do. It don't believe it was striking that turned him away, but actually the rate itself; going the longer, harder route is worth it to him. He is now on the wait list for IT (I think?) "A" school.

One of the MKs on this forum keeps reminding me to keep an open mind and don't single out possibilities. There might be something I would LOVE to do in leu of being a duck scrubber, but I'll never know unless I go in with an open mind.

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Trusted Member
    E

--
    12 Jan 2010 02:39 AM
    I was almost done striking BM, its a LOT of a work. You have the daily grind to worry about and than you can strike after that. It's faster to go to BM A school than strike unless you are going in as E3.

I like striking, you learn from your higher ups, which is a good and bad because the way they teach you is their preference, whether its right or not is questionable.

Stationed in Key West, FL
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jchen012

--
    13 Jan 2010 03:00 AM
    FYI, if you do strike, you will stay at that unit until it is time to transfer. If you go to A-School, you will be able to go to a different unit and will be able to choose from a list of billets (depends on alot of factors like time in service and academics). When I use the term "choose" don't think that you will get your dream billet. Depending on the factors I just stated, you may get the 6th pick. Your class may be given 20 billets, but you have 5 people ahead of you to pick before you. Hope this helps.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    13 Jan 2010 03:57 AM
    If I understand the situation correctly, my son is now an SNBM, having completed the requirements for striking Bosun's Mate. His motivation for striking was that 1) he liked where he was stationed and 2) having graduated from college before enlisting, he felt he'd already done enough of the school thing. So, now he's waiting for his name to reach the top of the supplemental advancement list, which will take several months, after which he will be advanced to BM3. After that, he will most likely be transferred unless his current unit has an open BM3 billet, which is not all that likely.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Jan 2010 01:03 PM
    You have a kung fu grip on the situation, Wepprop.

"When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Pitt09

--
    13 Jan 2010 02:34 PM
    Thanks for all the replies. A few more questions: Can you start striking as soon as you reach your first duty station? I know this will vary from person to person, but how long does it usually take? I have a bachelor's degree and there were times when I was working and going to school simultaneously, so I like to think I could strike in an average amount of time.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    13 Jan 2010 10:00 PM
    Most commands will require you to finish your qualifications prior to beginning the striking process. But, each command is different. Your supervisor at your first unit will be your best source of information.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    14 Jan 2010 12:05 AM
    They let me start striking when I was QMOW and Import qualified. I had seops to still do when I started. I would say at least 4 months, you have to strike, NAV rules, EPME, BM end of course test. If you didn't grow up around boats NAV rules could be hard, actually if you didnt grow up around boats than it will just take additional time to learn.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    USCGforMe

--
    16 Jan 2010 02:34 AM
    Some of the required qualifications at your unit may also be a part of the required BM3 knowledge...keep this in mind.

A lot of what I had to learn for boat crew is also in the BM3 coursework.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AET2b

--
    16 Jan 2010 04:29 AM
    Would someone typically advance faster striking or through a school
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    16 Jan 2010 04:19 PM
    uscgforme was correct, once I finished getting qualified, i went through the sign offs with my BM1 and got like 15 sign offs done.

Right now, no. A school wait list is 4 months, 2 months of school puts you right at E3-E4 time in grade.

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 1/16/2010 8:29:26 AM GMT

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Jan 2010 05:50 PM
    Whether you strike or go to school the advancement timelines remain the same. It's up to you if you want formal training or OJT.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    17 Jan 2010 12:51 AM
    I can almost guarantee you if you strike something, its going to take you longer to make rank striking than going to school.  My wife is just finishing striking BM and she has been working on it since Jan 2008.  She's not a slacker, either.  It just takes a long time because it's A LOT of work

OS3 Husband
    Sector St. Petersburg, FL

Trusted Member
    E

--
    17 Jan 2010 01:17 AM
    Some units allow a combo move. Name on A school/Strike at the same time. If you strike before A school than you remove yourself from A school, you get called to A school before you finish striking, you'll most likely end up #1 in the class. Some commands aren't into that though.

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    USCGforMe

--
    19 Jan 2010 03:58 AM
    Ryan,

That's only good if you are striking the same rate you are waiting for on the 'A' school list.

I considered striking BM and waiting on AMT or AST until I realized in order to make 3rd I'd have to get removed from the AMT/AST list, which is counter-productive. Sucks!

Oh well...I'm not all that into BM, even as a Seamanship winner ;)
    I'll wait for aviation.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    19 Jan 2010 04:13 AM
    haha, i missed it that, i was getting outshot at the range with the girls, I just saw you guys tying knots when we came back. the A school striking is only good if you are going for the same thing.

BILDGERAT

--
    21 Mar 2010 08:55 AM
    I'm striking MK and my to be honest I think it's harder. I guess it's where ever you h\get stationed but as a non-rate for two years I would tell you to get your name on the list as soon as you can because striking you have to be motivated and it's easy to just say forget it or I'll work on it later and next thing you know six months have gone by and your still a non-rate.

Go to SCHOOL!!!!
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    29 Mar 2010 03:33 PM
    striking is fun, but hard. You have to hunt down people to get signatures, some things you cant do do to geographic area or unit capabilities. Some units are awesome, Ill be able to do every sign off at my unit except don a dry suit and pass a dewatering pump.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Mar 2010 03:49 PM
    Ok, stupid question since Jim was an MST & Colin is leaning towards OS, both rates striking isn't an option... What do you do if your unit is not able to sign off on everything? Do you sit stagnant, not advancing???? I'm sure there is a logical answer, I just really don't know. Just curious what one would do in such a position?!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Mar 2010 04:08 PM
    You could request to travel to a nearby unit to complete your training. Depending on how far along you are in the process you may have to make arrangements on your own time.

If you are co-located with a variety of units it shouldn't be a big deal. If your unit is miles from nothing, things get a little tougher.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

- Mark Twain

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    29 Mar 2010 05:01 PM
    That could actually suck! I never gave it much thought so I didn't realize it could be such a pain in the neck to complete.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Mar 2010 05:15 PM
    It can. IMHO, school is a much better option. The training is a excellent balance of hands on and classroom training.

- Mark Twain

Trusted Member
    Cooch

--
    29 Mar 2010 08:32 PM
    Gears said...
    It can. IMHO, school is a much better option. The training is a excellent balance of hands on and classroom training.
    +1

There are a lot of variables in striking.  (For example only) You could be striking for the best Electrician's Mate in the Coast Guard, but they may not be the best at teaching.  The school setting is much more structured and taught by people that have completed the instructor course.  Nothing against striking, just an opinion.

R/

PO1 Kevin Couture

You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Mar 2010 08:45 PM
    Cooch said... You could be striking for the best Electrician's Mate in the Coast Guard, but they may not be the best at teaching.  The school setting is much more structured and taught by people that have completed the instructor course.
    +1 Cooch...

- Mark Twain

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement