Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
moving and getting first station
Last Post 25 Oct 2009 12:04 AM by massagegirl128. 19 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
vbebber1

--
21 Oct 2009 11:00 PM
    So when my husband was leaving for boot camp i had tons of questions for the recruiter but i think i began to annoy him . niether him or I have any family in the military so we dont really know about military life .

My questions are

When do I find out where we will be staioned ? How do i know where his station will be located in that town , so i have kind of an idea of where to look for a house.

Also I am in the process of moving in with my mom so i can save a couple months rent money , (also cause i dont wanna be alone) ,  I will be putting our stuff in a storage , will the movers come to a storage to pick our stuff up ?

And lastly how long excatly from the day he gets home do we have to move , I heard its 12 days but is that 12 days to find a house then move or as soon as he gets home we need to leave right away ?

This is really hard for me cause I am so used to knowing everything goin on and now he knows it all and i have no clue (so not fair)

Thanks sooo Much
    kayla
    "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
    "

Lance Armstrong
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Newcoastiewife

--
    21 Oct 2009 11:28 PM
    1. If he is not in guaranteed A school after boot camp (This is something he sets up with his recruiter if he is doing A school), he'll be assigned a station during week 5 and call you then with the news.

2. They will meet you at one location only, so if MOST all your stuff is in the storage area and it is near your home listed on recruitment papers, yes the movers will meet you there. Whatever you take with you to your Mom's you will be responsible for moving on your own.

3. It depends on where he gets stationed and the distance between Cape May and his new station. It widely varies...

Cassie

Cassie
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MrsBuckHijo

--
    22 Oct 2009 12:13 AM
    do a dity move and move everything yourself. you always make money off of it. we just moved to my husband's first station last week and got a bunch of money up front for the move and we get more in a few weeks as a reimbursement.

everyone leaving boot camp has 5 days of leave. any time they get on top of that like travel time (my husband got 2 days travel time) depends on how far away you have to move. since you find out in his 5th week where he gets stationed you have 3 weeks or so before he graduates to find a house. my husband told me the coast guard will reimburse you if you have to stay in a hotel for a few days if you have yet to find a house. some stations will have government housing for recruits with dependents (that's what we live in) and it is sooooo much easier than finding a house and signing a lease so if it is an option for you i would do it :)

Wife of FA Joshua Buckson
    USCGC Dallas 10/16/09-
    Mom of Aubrey Maddox, due 3/7/10

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

You go Glen Coco.
    vbebber1

--
    22 Oct 2009 12:42 AM
    Thanks so much .

From what his recruiter told me was we didnt have a choice , that like the day he gets home or the day after there will be movers at my house waiting to move my stuff .

So does he set all the moveing arrangements up in Basic or do we do that when he gets home ?

So if you live in Govt Houseing you wont recive BAH will you ?

Thanks so much for the replys I am so nervous and clueless about all this .. Grrrr
    "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever.
    "

Lance Armstrong
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Newcoastiewife

--
    22 Oct 2009 01:17 AM
    True doing a dity move will probably get you more money however it is more stressful, so depending on how you handle it (me, I just want to tell someone "here's my stuff...take it to my new home please") you can do either way. Yes he will set it up in BC.

*Note, you do not always get the 5 days leave after BC...sometimes, like if you get stationed in Cape May, they need you to report right away. This is rare.

The CG does reimburse you if you have to stay in a hotel, thats what happened to us. Gov't housing is much less of a headache, so take it if its an option. If you live in Gov't housing you will not receive BAH. BAH is only if you live off the "civilian" world.

Do not be nervous! Easier said than done right? lol I wanted to add that I STRONGLY suggest you ask the recruiter all these questions as well. This affects you, just as much as your husband. Do not feel like you are bothering them or worried they are getting annoyed, their job is to answer questions about entering the CG. As long as you give them a couple of days to reply to your questions (via email or phone) they should be able and willing to answer ALL questions.

Cassie

Cassie
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    22 Oct 2009 10:51 AM
    If you haven't had the opportunity, the Coast Guard Spouse's Handbook contains valuable information about your new life with the Coast Guard.

Best wishes,

Pepper

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    22 Oct 2009 10:51 AM
    Hey Kayla,

I graduated MST A school in April and I had my stuff stored in a storage unit and the movers picked it up. I think they will for you guys as well.....but, I wasn't married at the time so I really don't know. I am pretty sure they will. OH as for after boot camp I would highly recommend letting the Government move you. They take a count of everything right there with you and they have a list of EVERYTHING that they put in the truck as well as it's condition. If there is anything missing or damaged after it arrives at your new house then they will pay for it or replace it. BAH all depends on where your husband gets stationed. SINCE he is married you guys will get a house on the economy in most places unless you're stationed somewhere that has onbase housing such as Cape May then you will not receive BAH. The reinbursement of staying in a hotel is usually 10 days. Both units I have been stationed at so far gave me 10 days to house hunt and the CG reinburses you for those days in the hotel. After boot camp they give you 5 days but, I had 12 days. It is all up to your husband on how many days 5-12.

MST3 Suggs

MST3 Suggs
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    22 Oct 2009 10:52 AM
    The 5-12 days is leave by the way sorry!

MST3 Suggs

MST3 Suggs
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Newcoastiewife

--
    22 Oct 2009 12:28 PM
    TXCG09 said...
    . After boot camp they give you 5 days but, I had 12 days. It is all up to your husband on how many days 5-12.

This isn't 100% true, some units in nearby areas need you to report the following Monday after graduation. Any extension beyond the 5 days is time that your unit grants you, not your choice on how long you take off.

Cassie

Cassie
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    22 Oct 2009 12:37 PM
    The Coast Guard used to grant 10 days leave after boot camp, but that policy was changed to 5 days. Too many recruits were going home and slipping back into their old civilian habits and losing their Military bearing, getting into trouble with old friends, etc. Now, recruits are only authorized to use 5 days of leave upon completion of boot camp, time they have earned while in Cape May. Recruits are also give travel time allowance to report to their first unit, which varies depending on the distance they have to travel. Generally speaking, you have to earn leave before you can spend it. In certain rare situations you may be allowed to "go in the hole" with leave, but that is an exception and not the rule.

vbebber1

--
    22 Oct 2009 04:23 PM
    But I just dont understand how you are expeceted to find and house and move within 5 days . You figure he gets back and we spend 1 day saying good bye to everyone , the next few day traveling and looking for a place to live

Im am really confused on this whole process but I guess I will just role with the punchs and see how everything plays out .

Thanks so much for everyones help !

Kayla
    "

Lance Armstrong
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    22 Oct 2009 04:34 PM
    if you are living BAH because of no housing, you can request 10 days of "house hunting" time where you stay in a hotel and they reimburse you. I had 9 days to come back to cali, pack, and drive to florida and it was a tight fit. i spent about 1/2 day with my mom and than my dad drove to florida with me. I had a harder time with money since the CG reimburse you for everything. I had signed up for advance travel, and i got it 6 weeks after reporting in and i got all my bonus and ditty move pay almost 9 weeks after reporting in.

Stationed in Key West, FL
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    22 Oct 2009 05:37 PM
    That's why it is sometimes wise to let the CG move you rather than trying to do it yourself. You have no cash outlay and waiting for reimbursement.

Vbetter: The Coast Guard moves people continuously and is pretty good at it. Your husband will get all the info he needs for your move while he's at Cape May. They will not let you be homeless! Moving is always stressful. At least in the Coast Guard there are people there to help causing you the minimum amount of stress. Professional movers (Bekins, Mayflower,etc) will come to your house and pack everything for you. When you arrive at your new location, the CG will offer assistance in finding housing (including $$$ to help with deposits, etc) if you are living on the economy. If Gov't housing is available, you will receive housing.
    When your stuff arrives, the movers will come and unpack you. I think this beats the heck out of a U-Haul and trying to do it yourself. Once you are at your first unit your new Coast Guard Family will help you get settled in.

Welcome to the family

Pepper

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MrsBuckHijo

--
    22 Oct 2009 05:47 PM
    They don't expect you to find a house in 5 days-they expect you to be looking while your husband is still in boot camp. It sucks having to find a place all by yourself but you have to. After this move you guys will be able to find places to live together but you are on your own for the most part this time.

USCGC Dallas 10/16/09-

Joshua 1:9 "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

You go Glen Coco.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Oct 2009 05:49 PM
    In my 10+ years married to a Coastie we did one DITY move... and we only moved from town to on base. Don't do it!!!! The stress of it is absolutely ridiculous! I know in Jim's subsequent 14 years without me, he has never done one again.

This is a generl rule... You get 5 days leave after basic to go home, get the packers in, get stuff shipped, say good byes, then you get travel time depending upon the distance from CAPE MAY to your unit, not from where home is BEFORE boot camp. Then you report to your duty station and you can request an additional 10 days of house hunting time. The CG will put you up in a hotel and you can search for housing then. Do not try to find housing and sign a lease before arriving at a station... a little photoshop work and a crack house can look like Donald Trump's summer place! once you find out your duty station go on craigslist or local real estate sites and look around at rentals, but do it just to get an idea! I saw one house just recently... OMG Gorgeous!!!! Fell in love!!! Wanted to sign the lease site unseen, thought better of it and waited... walked through the door of my palace and the dog peepee stains and smells about knocked me off my feet! We didn't sign the lease on that place!

Don't stress... there is a world of unknown in the military, just roll with it and let it happen as it happens. Best of luck!!!! :)

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MrsBuckHijo

--
    22 Oct 2009 05:56 PM
    P.S. Don't stress yourself out. I know you have a lot of questions but on your husband's 6th week on base liberty he can call you and talk to you for hours (my husband talked to me for almost 4 hours that day) and he can answer your questions. They have classes on moving and all this stuff in boot camp.

USCGC Dallas 10/16/09-

You go Glen Coco.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    22 Oct 2009 11:43 PM
    Yeah I suppose you are right about the extended leave time. I was going to a small boat station that wasn't very active so they let me go into the hole. So IT ALL DEPENDS where he gets stationed. You won't know anything until then...Kayla you'll get a hang of it. My wife is a VERRRRRYYYY family oriented person and her family lives in SC. We were stationed in NY and TX now and she got over it in a couple days. I suppose all of this would also be riding on where he is stationed also because if it is a busy cutter then...everything will be different. I am not a coastie wife as you can see lol so I can't help you the way they will be able to. But, I hope you and your husband the best and welcome to the CG family!

MST3 Suggs

MST3 Suggs
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    22 Oct 2009 11:59 PM
    How do DITY moves work? What if one doesn't have belongings and just takes a plane to their first station?

It all begins February 16th 2010!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    MrsBuckHijo

--
    23 Oct 2009 03:32 PM
    Bored of Desk Jobs- That wouldn't really be considered a DITY move since you aren't moving anything. The Coast Guard will pay for your ticket from Cape May to your first station.

USCGC Dallas 10/16/09-

You go Glen Coco.
    massagegirl128

--
    25 Oct 2009 12:04 AM
    My husband got stationed in March in Portsmouth, VA which was our first move. In the week I found out where we were going I spent hours online on apartmentguide.com looking in the area. The Coast Guard should give you a list of places in the area that do the RPP housing for military. We had the movers pack our stuff and my mother over saw the move so we could hit the road. The movers were great and everything pretty much arrived as it should. We stayed in a hotel for 7days. It would have been less, but the following week was the quickest the moving company could get our stuff to us. I recommend if you are going to have the movers pack you, bring a file of all your personal things like drivers licenses, insurance cards, birth certificates and any bills you may need because you may need those things and not be able to get them asap if the movers can't deliver soon. My move went very smooth and I had a dog and a cat in my little car with me for 15 hours straight. But, in the end we still got a lot of money for moving even though we had movers pack us.I had an entire file and also about 3 pages of phone numbers that I had written down that I carried with me at all times. It really is a big help. Good luck in you move!!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement