Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
help with finding the right job
Last Post 08 Nov 2009 07:00 PM by jchen012. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ryan_b87

--
03 Nov 2009 06:53 PM
    i am from central arkansas and i want work as a marine science technician. problem is the open jobs are in texas. should i and can i go through the dallas office.? i feel like this is the job i could do and would be willing to do whatever it takes to do. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thank you
    ryan_b87

--
    04 Nov 2009 06:50 PM
    anyone that could offer some good advice please feel free to do so....
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    05 Nov 2009 03:55 AM
    I believe you would have to find the closest recruiter to where you are. Are you trying to go Reserves or Active Duty Coast Guard?? I am a Marine Science Technician and I love it..it is a real good job. I am also stationed in Texas how ironic? MST's are stationed just about everywhere though as Active Duty. As a reservist there is a thing called title-10 where you are a Reservist but, on active duty orders. You would have to speak to a recruiter about all of this though, and ANY recruiter would be able to help you. And again for the Texas part..ANY recruiter would be able to help you.

MST3 Suggs

MST3 Suggs
    ryan_b87

--
    05 Nov 2009 02:18 PM
    That is some irony. I want to do reserves. Where are you are you at in texas? My problem is that this job is not available in my area. i would have to go out of state. I am wondering if that is possible.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    05 Nov 2009 06:51 PM
    The CG recruiting website says you need to be within "reasonable" commuting distance to your unit. I have no idea what is considered reasonable.....like how many miles away.....but if you're in Arkansas, I'm guessing Texas is too far. There are MSTs along the coast in Louisiana, which would be closer. I'd check with a recruiter and see about all that. There's one in Little Rock. Give them a call and I'm sure they could answer all your questions. By the way, my daughter is also an MST. She's on an icebreaker, though....her work is alot different than Petty Officer Suggs. While he's slaving away down there on the coast, she's up in the Arctic frolicking with polar bears. lol Anyway, good luck, ryan.

Laurie

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    TXCG09

--
    06 Nov 2009 02:02 AM
    For NORMAL Reserves status you have to be pretty close to a unit that has MST's. But, as I was saying..there are Reserves in an ACTIVE DUTY STATUS stationed at my unit. Their home towns are all over the US. This is called Title 10.. I am stationed in Port Arthur,TX it is on the Louisiana/ Texas border. If you want to see some action as an MST come here lol.

MST3 Suggs

MST3 Suggs
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ltate

--
    06 Nov 2009 11:35 PM
    I'd never heard of Title 10 until you mentioned it. I'm assuming they are there for longer periods than just one weekend a month, since they come from all over the U.S. I looked around on the reserve board here and noticed that one of our recruiters told someone they needed to be within 100 miles of their unit, for the regular reserves, of course. I guess that's what they mean when they say a reasonable commuting distance.

I just remembered this aftenoon that one of Nikole's classmates from MST A school went to Port Arthur. I don't recall their name but they were MST class 06-08, graduated at the end of May 2008. Probably somebody you see every day. Too bad I have no idea who it is! lol

Laurie

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jchen012

--
    08 Nov 2009 07:00 PM
    I am a reservist MST3 stationed at Sector Seattle with the Facilities Branch. What billet is the one in Texas? Do you know what unit and what department? Is it a Sector or a MSU/MSD?
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement