Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Now for the information of all hands: CUTTER LIFE!
Last Post 26 Nov 2009 12:00 AM by poogotflung. 25 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
levyii

--
23 Nov 2009 03:07 AM
    TO: all the moms and dads who have questions about their son or daughter being on a cutter.

Greetings! Now that I am back from patrol this thread will serve two purposes. One: for all those familiar with me to ask me questions about my awesome adventures on my first patrol. Two: for any of you with children going on a cutter out of boot camp to ask me questions about what life may be like. I've been on board for almost 6 months now as a BM3. I enjoy helping others with any information I can about the Coast Guard. That being said, I know a lot of people always wonder what their child should pack, how much space they will have, what the schedule is like, what do they do, etc. I am aboard a 378 so the smaller cutters will be different than mine. Other 378's could be different as well but underway life generally doesn't change too much. Feel free to PM me or ask away in this thread!

To those I know already: I'm BAAAAACKKKKK! It has been a VERY long time underway but I had some awesome port calls. I leave again on the next patrol soon so get your questions in while you can! miss you all and can't wait to hear from all of you!!

cheers!

BM3 Levesque, Michelle
    USCGC Rush
    Honolulu, HI

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    23 Nov 2009 03:12 AM
    Welcome home! you must have gotten back today because we (CG Auxiliary) had a bar-b-que there at club 14 last night. We invited all the guys in the boat house and they got some good grinds!! You missed a good party. Where does your honey stay when you are underway!? Are you heading to tact(sp?)? HK said they were getting ready for tact (sp?) next week. :) TTFN~

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    23 Nov 2009 03:28 AM
    I have a question, im on a 110 right now about to become an SNBM. I am hoping to double tour on either size patrol boat, or station. Im going BM for the coxswain (duh lol). I am getting qualified on the RHI right now. I am interested on what duties you have on a 378 as a bm3 and if you get to do boardings or what type of evolutions you are involved in. also how is the berthing? Im used to 6 people fitting into a closet so i assume a 378 should be better.

Stationed in Key West, FL
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 11/22/2009 7:34:21 PM GMT

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    23 Nov 2009 03:28 AM
    Levyii-PS-If you don't have anywhere to go for Thanksgiving, you're invited. Nothing fancy, just a few friends up here on the North Shore.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    levyii

--
    23 Nov 2009 03:52 AM
    EZ, I am in the Navigation deptartment so all my work revolves around charts and patrol planning. The BM3's on deck force pretty much babysit all the non rates. they scrub rust more than I correct charts! Being on Deck force is a lot of work. if you are going BM just for coxswain, i would highly suggest taking a small boat station. the BM3's on this boat took almost 9 months to make coxswain and still couldn't even do all the tasks required. they have never towed another boat and that's a big part of being a coxswain. as far as the berthings go, they are nice. they re-did 20 man and 16 man. I am in Junior Female. the racks are decent with a decent amount of space.

Jkribell-thanks for the offer! me and the hunny are doing dinner at our place for some of the non rates who don't have a place to go. i love hosting and a few of them kept asking if i was doing dinner, it will be my first time making thanksgiving dinner ever! i'm very excited. We didn't actually pull in today, if you catch my drift. Close enough though. Congrats on the Aux for the Walnut!! Must be totally exciting! i can't wait to see the island again, i almost forgot what it looks like!!

BM3 Levesque, Michelle
    USCGC Rush
    Honolulu, HI

Trusted Member
    E

--
    23 Nov 2009 05:30 AM
    20 man and 16 man! my jaw dropped, I thought 8 man was big. Im not too big into going ops/nav, Im a qmow and chart scrubbing and way points arent my idea of fun. A couple bms told me that what I do on the 110 is what some bm3s and bm2 are doing on the boat and to be on the boat 3 months and already breaking in on the RHI. striking was pretty easy on the 110, Im not a good splicer though, still working on it!

do you guys have one big messdeck or is there small "common areas" or something for nonrates or enlisted and what not? I couldnt imagine that many people on one messdeck.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    levyii

--
    23 Nov 2009 06:42 AM
    we have a messdeck for meals and rec decks for movies and such. the way meals work underway is they do watch reliefs and first class petty officers first, then 15 min later they open it up to all hands and take 5 at a time. usually there is a line in the passage way for dinner, depending on whats being served. there is a first class lounge, chiefs mess and ward room. i've been underway for only three months and i'm QMOW and breaking in crewman at the moment. i put it off because i was 25 qualified at my last unit so it will take like a day to do it for the OTH. there isn't much of a difference in work for a BM3 and a BM2 on the boat, you are pretty much the same. not really a big deal on a 378. from what i understand most non rates on 110's get QMOW qualified, at least that's what the guys in my A school class did.

BM3 Levesque, Michelle
    USCGC Rush
    Honolulu, HI

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Rogue580

--
    23 Nov 2009 07:41 AM
    Im interested in the amount of space you have an what did you bring with you? What can and cant you bring on board?
    texasdad

--
    23 Nov 2009 03:47 PM
    my son is on a 378 now as a nonrate - He has galley duty for a month and he is finding it more than difficult. He also feels he misses certain training because he is in the galley. He also is fighting seasickness more there. Will he have to serve galley duty on a rotation with the other nonrates regularly?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    levyii

--
    23 Nov 2009 04:57 PM
    yes, mess cooking is a rotation through the non rates. they all do it for a month and rotate through unfortunately. A few of our guys got pretty seasick at the start of the patrol but they got used to being on the boat and now they are fine. He will miss out on training but they will catch him up in no time. we had a non rate who mess cooked the first month we were underway and a week after he was done he was helm and lookout qualified.

as far as space, the racks are very similar to boot camp racks. you also have a locker which is fairly small. most 378's will have whats called a sea bag locker and the personnel that live on the boat store the majority of their stuff down there. I brought more civilian clothes than i ended up wearing and will cut that amount by at least half on my next patrol. you are in your uniform all day unless you are sleeping for late racks or at night. civilain attire is only authorized during steel beach which is usually on Sundays during holiday routine. people on my boat brought surf boards and some of the chiefs brought their bicycle. you have to coordinate some place to put it before getting underway.

BM3 Levesque, Michelle
    USCGC Rush
    Honolulu, HI

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    23 Nov 2009 05:05 PM
    gotcha-I did look for you when were down there. I always look to see who is docked, who's out etc. I did get to watch a couple of non-rates polish the railings of the 47' mlb - looked very glamourous!!!

Trusted Member
    E

--
    23 Nov 2009 05:33 PM
    ya on patrol boats if you are a nonrate seaman you have to get QMOW qualified, I had 30 underway days at 1 in 3 before I had to stand port and starboard, and good thing I got it with a couple days to spare (damn maneuvering boards lol), and you have to be import crewman qualified within 30 underway days. If you are a engineer nonrate its EOW and import crewman. how is the food on the big boats? Is it set 3 meals or do you guys have open galley when you can eat whatever you want whenever you want(except set food meals).

How many bm3 billets are on the big boats?

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    levyii

--
    23 Nov 2009 07:13 PM
    it's three meals a day with mid rats at 2300 for the mid watch. the food...well, that depends on the FS's on board. Lets just say there was a handful of us who lost weight on this patrol.

as far as billets go, there are 2-3 in the Nav dept and currently we have 4 BM3's on deck force, one SNBM and an SNBM in Nav. I'm not sure how many we are billeted but we have a handful in total.

BM3 Levesque, Michelle
    USCGC Rush
    Honolulu, HI

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    23 Nov 2009 07:37 PM
    GLAD to hear you are loving it. I had good news that it looks like as of right now i will be going underway on a 210 right before i leave for a school :) so i get to see waht real FN do
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    pepperdoggie

--
    23 Nov 2009 08:24 PM
    Southern, did you get one of the Cutters out of Cape May? Congratulations...now you can get your sea legs!

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    XShipRider

--
    23 Nov 2009 10:28 PM
    Levy',
    Your positive attitude is infectious, a real attribute for a young sailor. Glad to hear all went well on your first patrol. It's great to have recent first-hand experience talking on these boards.
    Congratulations on a successful and safe patrol.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    X
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    24 Nov 2009 01:07 AM
    yea i hope so. it is a short patrol but i cant complain. it is going to be loud in the engine room im sure. and i will elt yall know then i should be heading to A school when i get back
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    levyii

--
    24 Nov 2009 05:41 AM
    i hope you are ready for 140 degree heat down there! and lots of fires. apparently there were fires we didn't even know about that they just put out. we had our share of emergencies this patrol

BM3 Levesque, Michelle
    USCGC Rush
    Honolulu, HI

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    24 Nov 2009 11:49 AM
    140 isnt that bad i use to lay on blacktop at 150+ during the summer when i was working on semi trailers. i dont mind the hard work. i had the option of going and doing this so i couldnt turn it down. i had the options other times but had more important family matters.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    24 Nov 2009 09:17 PM
    im not too fond of the engine room, I was crewman and was doing gen rounds and man its a sweat box in there.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    25 Nov 2009 12:18 AM
    Wow Michelle-I just got the Official Press Release about the return of the Rush.  You guys went to China!!  How cool was that? That is historic!  Way to go.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    levyii

--
    25 Nov 2009 07:37 AM
    do you have a link for the release? my mom would love to see it! yeah, China was amazing. We also stopped in Guam for a day. it was an unbelievable patrol!

BM3 Levesque, Michelle
    USCGC Rush
    Honolulu, HI

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    25 Nov 2009 05:21 PM
    I get the releases by email from the 14th dist.  If you give me your email address I will send it.  everytime i try to paste it in here, it comes out all funky!

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    25 Nov 2009 05:33 PM
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    25 Nov 2009 06:30 PM
    Thanks Weprop~!  I love it - the Jarvis and the Rush both sport Leis!  Great fashion statement!  :p

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    poogotflung

--
    26 Nov 2009 12:00 AM
    9 Months for coxswain!!! I get 6 weeks and I am a MK!! I guess those are OTH though but still. EEEEK.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement