Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
THANKSGIVING DAY PHONE CALLS...........
Last Post 22 Dec 2009 09:45 AM by Ian56's Mom. 15 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
Ian56s Mom

--
27 Nov 2009 06:29 AM
    Hi, everyone.
    I hope everyone had a really wonderful Thanksgiving and ate a lot of food. I did. burger

Did any of you get calls from your loved ones?
    My son, Ian, called me from the house he was having dinner at. He was there with his shipmate, and the family was super-nice and very caring people. They had an old-fashioned, traditional turkey dinner, which Ian went nuts over. He ate a lot, had 2nds (and wasn't embarrassed about it), and then they let him use their phone. He called me and then he called his dad. We spent quite some time on the phone, and he sounded wonderful, but had a slight cold. He was very happy, very content, very excited to graduate and go to his station. He said the family and the food were beyond fantastic, and that his holiday was super. He said it was a great family, very kind, very caring, very loving, and fantastic hosts. He enjoyed talking with the 3 children, too,
    and they were very nice kids. hop

Debbie
    "Ian56's Mom"

Proud mother of Eric and Ian
    "My sons are the loves of my life"

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 11/26/2009 10:33:22 PM GMT

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    coasty95

--
    27 Nov 2009 09:49 PM
    We got a phone call from our son on Thanksgiving as well. He was at the training center not feeling well. He said several are sick and some went to sick bay. What a bummer, I will bet their poor immune systems are really challenged with all the vaccinations and the stress. He was hoping to rest for the day, we had a great talk and sounded better at the end of the conversation. Anybody else talk to someone in Oscar 182 who is not feeling well?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    27 Nov 2009 10:14 PM
    coasty95 said...
    Anybody else talk to someone in Oscar 182 who is not feeling well?

Yes, Ian.
    He had a slight cold, but didn't say anything about it at first. I could tell by his voice that his nose was stuffed-up. Moms know their kids! I asked him about it, and it was THEN that he said he had a slight cold. He also mentioned the vaccinations and that there were many who had colds for the past several days.

sad

The good thing, though, is that he said he was feeling better than the day before, so it was going away. smilewinkgrin

Debbie
    "Ian56's Mom"

Proud mother of Eric and Ian

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    coasty95

--
    27 Nov 2009 11:24 PM
    Thanks, David also sounded like he had a stopped up nose, of course that was my first comment "are you sick" (that's a mom and a nurse talking)
    He said he should be able to call again Saturday so hope things are better then. With graduation only 2 weeks away we don't want ANYTHING to get in their way now!
    PetesCoastieWife

--
    28 Nov 2009 12:46 AM
    LOL!! I did the same exact thing. Time he said something I was like are you still sick?! He said yes I have had a cold since I've been here. =/ I did get to talk to my husband for a good while. The family was very nice to him and his shipmates and he liked the food, said that it was great. He was so happy to have chocolate chip cookies and a coke for the first time in 6 weeks. =] He seemed very excited and had a great attitude about everything! It was great to hear from him!! Get to talk to him tomorrow too, they have on base liberty tomorrow! Only 13 more days!! =D

Proud Wife
    of
    SR Pete Vann

Proud Wife of FN Pete Vann
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    29 Nov 2009 12:57 PM
    Pete'sCoastieWife said...
    I did the same exact thing. Time he said something I was like are you still sick?!

My sons make me laugh, when they think I won't know that they're sick. Us moms have 6 pairs of eyes and ears. We can hear a baby sniffling, through 4 closed doors and a loud TV playing.

Debbie
    Ian56's mom

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    coasty95

--
    30 Nov 2009 01:01 AM
    David called Saturday night, he was feeling much better. They were on base liberty and feeling great about going to the movie Transformers. It seems like the time has flew by (now not the beginning!) It will not be long.
    David will only have two days at home, they figure the travel days from Cape May and he is only given 1 day because of the close proximity. He will be driving from West Central Texas so he will have to factor 2 and half days of drive time. Oh well its all good. He is on the flight home with us.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    jkribell

--
    30 Nov 2009 02:27 AM
    Ian56's Mom said...My sons make me laugh, when they think I won't know that they're sick. Us moms have 6 pairs of eyes and ears. We can hear a baby sniffling, through 4 closed doors and a loud TV playing.
    I remember when Heather was about 5-6, she kept looking through my hair and when I asked what she was doing, she said she was looking for my antenas!!!  Apparently someone in her class said that moms had secret antenas to keep track of their kids!!

Mom of FS3Kribell
    USCGC Hamilton, San Diego

Lucky to live in Hawaii - Mom to FS3Kribell, USCGC Hamilton, San Diego
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    30 Nov 2009 03:53 AM
    Jkribell said...
    Apparently someone in her class said that moms had secret antenas to keep track of their kids!!

Hahahahahaha !!!!!!!!!!!!

lol

Yes! We must be equipped with a certain kind of wiring or something, which no one else has. This is why when someone asks about something, they always say to go ask us, because we would know.

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    MattMomUSCG

--
    03 Dec 2009 05:29 PM
    Don't worry about the colds - that is a wonderful case of the Cape May Crud!  All the recruits get it - it's a way of passage I guess.  They may come home with a nasty cough but that too will pass.

The Thanksgiving Program that Cape May runs is a phenomonal thing!  My son was in BC last year for Thanksgiving and went home for the day with a great area family.  They let him use their phone, fed him and they got to watch whatever they wanted on TV - which was a big treat!  When they didn't have enough families to go around, some local groups offered a full dinner at the American Legion and when the recruits walked in - everyone was handing out cell phones.  It's a great thing and only wish I lived closer so that I could pay back the generosity of the locals!

Just remember, your "Mom Antenae's" never stop working.  My son has been active for over a year and I can still tell you that I know what's wrong when he calls.  My mother tells me that it stays active as long as your brain functions!

USCG Mom
    My Coastie is stationed in Portsmouth VA and proud of it!

USCG Mom
    My Coastie is stationed in Portsmouth VA and proud of it!

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Dec 2009 01:27 AM
    I got a call on my cell that I didn't recognize. So I ignore it, I get so much craziness. I google the number and it's a church in Boston! That can't be good! My message indicator goes off. I listen to the message... Colin had been mugged and his phone was stolen. He was calling the police and was at a church he would call me from the ship.

I canceled the phone, he made out a report, we won't even go into how the cops treated Colin like a criminal... but we got it all worked out! I never had a clue something was happening but once I knew it all kicked in!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    04 Dec 2009 01:35 AM
    OldGuard said...
    Colin had been mugged and his phone was stolen.

Oh my god, Macie, is he okay ????????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What on earth????????? Are you okay?????? I read your post and thought "WHAT? HUH? I MUST BE READING WRONG". I can't believe it! I'm so sorry. freaked

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Dec 2009 01:30 PM
    It was a few weeks ago. He wasn't paying attention to his surroundings and he was sending a text message. Some guy bumped him from behind and he felt a "smack" of sorts on his hand. The guy took off running. Well Colin went to finish his text & thought he just dropped his phone from the bump. Nope, the bump was the distraction and the "smack" was the jerk snatching the phone from Colin's hands.

Colin took off running after the guy but he was fast and gone... That was when Colin went to the rectory of a church and asked if he could use their phone to call me and the police. I canceled the phone immediately and they told me there had been no calls or anything done with the phone at that point. Colin was smart enough to buy insurance so the phone was replaced.

It was all pretty nerve wracking but he handled what he needed to handle. He did say a few days later he was walking up Hanover St in Boston and he heard someone approaching him from behind and the person was trotting/running... He said his instinct was to wheel around and deck the guy. He said he stopped himself though. I told him that was probably pretty natural, he had been mugged so he was a little gun shy! I told him if he didn't stop hearing the footsteps of people coming up behind him, he might want to talk to someone. But so long as it was just a knee jerk reaction and he didn't feel himself becoming paranoid... it was alright, that feeling would pass.

It passed and he was back to wandering the streets of Boston before he got underway!

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    05 Dec 2009 10:45 AM
    Glad to hear Colin is alright Macie...

Kyle

In his life changing name God Bless!

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    06 Dec 2009 10:56 AM
    OldGuard said...
    ...he heard someone approaching him from behind and the person was trotting/running... He said his instinct was to wheel around and deck the guy. He said he stopped himself though.

Macie -
    If that happened to me, I'd be paranoid for the rest of my life. I think if I stood anywhere in public, I'd have to stand up against a wall, so that I could only be approached from the left, right, and center.

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    22 Dec 2009 09:45 AM
    THE TIME SURE GOES FAST. THIS THREAD WAS AT THANKSGIVING TIME.
    MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO YOU ALL.

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 12/23/2009 6:00:55 PM GMT

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement