Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Thinking about doing a Reserve Commission
Last Post 22 Dec 2009 01:53 PM by BDUB. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mobius

--
03 Dec 2009 05:34 AM
    Hello,

I'm currently a graduate student in a combination master/doctorate program. However, I've really wanted to do CG Reserve for some time. I will probably wait at least until next year when I earn my Master's, that way I'll at least have one grad degree under my belt if I get called to active duty. However, I had a couple of questions if you guys are willing to answer them.

1. How long are typical calls to active duty? How often do they happen in the Reserve?

2. I heard somewhere (could be totally false) that the CG is different from other branches in that Guardians are considered Law Enforcement Officers. Does this mean I can open-carry a firearm? I already have a CCW permit, so it wouldn't change much, but I'm just curious to know exactly to what extent Guardians are considered Law Enforcement.

3. If anyone else is a grad student, how does being in the reserve affect your studies?
    bosco11

--
    22 Dec 2009 12:09 AM
    Depends on whether you want to be an officer or enlisted. You have a BS degree, so you've jumped through that hoop. There are three ways to become a CG Reserve Officer. 1. Attend the CG Academy, serve your time, be released from active duty, enter the reserves. Not for you as you're probably too old. 2. Attend a 17 week Officer Candidate School, serve the three year active duty obligation as a Reserve Officer and then become a drilling reservist. 3. Apply for and be accepted to attend a three week Reserve Officer Candidate Indoctrination Class. Eligibility requirements, etc can be obtained from a recruiter. You can become a reserve enlisted member through a number of programs. One requires entry through the Coast Guard's Basic Training Command at Cape May, NJ, about seven or eight weeks. Or you can enter through an abbreviated program called Reserve Enlisted Basic Indoctrination and your eligibility would depend on your education, background, experience, and the needs of the service. Frankly, I suggest you take a hard look at OCS. You'll receive three years experience on active duty and it'll make the remainder of your career a bit easier. Plus, you'll have three years worth of drill points. As far as firearms, depends. There are Coast Guard personnel who carry weapons in the performance of their duty. Just depends on the unit you're assigned to, its mission, and your particular specialty. For every Coast Guard Petty Officer or Commissioned Officer carrying a weapon, there are ten to twenty others in an office doing paperwork...armed with little more than a pen, letter opener, and stapler. I can't address your ability to function as a grad student and a reservist. I can say that I served over twenty five years as an officer, both on active duty and as a reservist. While on active duty I earned a Master's Degree. While a reservist, I worked a full time job, ran a part time business, and raised three children. Was it easy? Heck no. But, if there's a will, there's a way. It is nice to be retired and be rather well compensated, both monetarily and with all the other bennies. Don't ponder it too much. Just do it.<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 12/22/2009 12:14:58 AM GMT

BDUB

--
    22 Dec 2009 01:53 PM
    Bosco11,

Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement