Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Coxswain
Last Post 11 Dec 2009 12:54 PM by boatforces. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ChrisNJ03

--
05 Dec 2009 11:28 PM
    I asked my recruiter the best way to go active duty after BM A, and he told me to get Coxswain qualed. I am just wondering how long that takes. I get 4 days off a week from my Fire dept job and I would like to spend most of my xtra time trying to get qualed so I can lateral to active duty. Any insight would be great. Thanks to all that can help.

Chris D.
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    06 Dec 2009 04:27 PM
    A station coastie would have to answer, but to be a coxswain you have to be a crewmember and have your DWO/nav rules done. There's more but that's a start

Stationed in Key West, FL
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    southern118

--
    07 Dec 2009 05:34 PM
    for him to graduate A school he will have to have passed his DWO test. the question is why dont you go Active duty to begin with?
    Loerwadj

--
    08 Dec 2009 04:33 PM
    The easiest way to get your RBS coxswain Qual is to attend the coxswain "C" school at Yorktown you can get the convening dates From TQC's website.( You must be a qualifed RBS Crewman for six months before you can attend). As a Reservist Coxswain there are some task that are waived such as helo ops, and some search patterns that info is in a ALCOAST. Don't forget about your DWO/NAV RULES. Hopefully this helps Remember it is a fairly easy to get the quals it is twice as hard to maintain your currency. Let me know if I can be anymore help I have been at a Small Boat Station for 7 years
    ChrisNJ03

--
    10 Dec 2009 03:39 PM
    Thank you very much, I didnt go active because all active positions were filled. I got guaranteed BM A school as a reservest. and spots in my area for CG were limited so i took the oppertunity. Loerwadj as far as going to the C school, obviously I request that after I meet my duties and responsibilties at my unit but do they send me or is it coming from a higher authority?
    boatforces

--
    11 Dec 2009 12:54 PM
    Here's a basic breakdown of what you'll need to do to become a contingency (reserve) coxswain.

1. Be assigned to a STA with a RBS (defender class boat).
    2. Become boat crew certified (4-10 months).
    3. Pass the DWO exam (as of Jan 2010 NAVRULES will not satisfy the requirement)
    4. Complete the PQS for coxswain (6-10 months).
    5. Exhibit the judgment and maturity to be a coxswain.
    6. Complete a oral board and underway checkride.
    7. Maintain the currency requirements required for the certification.

Overall the process to become coxswain certified takes time and dedication. Reserve (contingency) coxswain certs typically take longer as they aren't immersed in the day-to-day underway activities at a unit. I know a few BM reservists who have been in for 5 years and still haven't achieved a coxn cert...

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement