Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Gettin the ball rolling here
Last Post 15 Jan 2010 05:22 AM by ScottSky. 27 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ScottSky

--
09 Dec 2009 05:39 AM
    I haven't really posted much since the summer when I first went and saw a recruiter and found out the basic information and did a base tour and such, but things happened at home where I couldn't continue the steps to joining the Coast Guard. But I'm back on track now, things at home are a little crazy still but it's time I finally get this ball rolling. Called up my recruiter, going to take the ASVAB on the 22nd of this month, I plan on doing very well on the test. I have been taking pre-tests everyday and I study every section of the test everyday as well. Word Knowledge section I could brush up on, some of those words are a bit tricky :p but I'll get that down before the 22nd comes. Once that is over with we are going to schedule me for a physical ASAP and go from there and get me a ship date turn

Just wanted to chime in and say Hi basically, dont really have any questions right now at this point. I have been a reader on the forums ever since I first posted, I just haven't posted much.

My only concern right now is getting all this necessary stuff done and over with so I can get a ship date and start to plan around that. I know the wait can be a little long now a days but I am not too worried about that, I should get a pretty decent date and not have to wait too long.

Just very anxious and excited and looking forward to the test!!

Any advice on the test?

Thanks everyone,
    Scott smilewinkgrin
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Rogue580

--
    09 Dec 2009 05:44 AM
    Don't panic lol. I took the electronic one and i thought it was rather easy. Some people were really stressing out though. I studied as well and that helped allot. good luck!
    ScottSky

--
    09 Dec 2009 05:49 AM
    Yeah, the only thing I was mainly concerned about was the Math because I have been out of High School for just about 2 years now, and my last Math class was in 10th grade so it has been a while, but I picked up the "ASVAB for dummies" book and wow is that helpful. It has three, full length practice tests and im missing only a couple questions out of the entire test, and I am no where near done studying yet. I should do fine.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mochi

--
    09 Dec 2009 05:54 AM
    For me, revisiting just the basic math formulas was a huge help. I also brushed up on science terminology and reviewed vocab. Practice tests of course are a great way to get used to the format of the test itself. It wasn't as in depth as I thought it was going to be. No reason walk into the test room worried. Anyhow, best wishes in your pursuits!
    ScottSky

--
    09 Dec 2009 06:07 AM
    Thanks, I appreciate that! You as well.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    HTurner

--
    09 Dec 2009 02:12 PM
    military.com has practice ASVAB's and after you answer and it scores you it gives you the correct answers and that is how I refreshed on my math formulas because I to had been out of highschool for 6 years when I took mine and had not had math since 10th grade.
    cgfowen22

--
    09 Dec 2009 03:48 PM
    Remember, you study long your studying wrong! I found the practice test math parts harder than the actual test. Same boat here, the last time I had used math was in high school about 6 years ago so I was a bit rusty. But it all came back in the study guide and did well. You'll get it, good luck.freaked
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    HTurner

--
    09 Dec 2009 03:51 PM
    oh yea the practice test was def harder. And the real test generates questions as you go so it makes it different. but it gives you a better idea
    ScottSky

--
    09 Dec 2009 04:16 PM
    That's awesome if the practice test is harder, because I'm doing pretty well on that so far haha. The way I have been studying is, everyday ill re-read each section of the main 4 that make up the AFQT score, and then ill bring one of the three practice tests with me to work and do it as i work, and then when I come home ill check my answers, figure out how to do the ones i missed, and then repeat the process next day. I plan on doing that everyday till the 22nd.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    10 Dec 2009 05:27 AM
    If you want to do something else until the 22nd to help with the word knowledge read the newspaper or online news. It'll have a plethora of high school equivalent words that you would be able to brush up on.

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AET2b

--
    10 Dec 2009 04:42 PM
    I was kind of in the same boat also. I have been out of high school for 4 years. And I picked up that book also!! That study guide is really good. If your doing good on those practice questions you will do good on the test. I remember that you can't figure out your score very well with those practice tests, but you can grade them like normal (Example... 90/100 = A-) get as good as you can before you take the test.

The practice tests help out the most in my opinion, your stressesd for time, you get in the momentum of taking a test, and it is testing you on the same type of questions.

If your studyin, you will do great! I do rememer that the practice tests are harder than the actual test. And I remember stressing over the little amount of time to do the math questions on my practice tests... BUT I took the computer version ASVAB and it had way more time to complete the questions then the practice guide in the book.
    I used the same study guide and when I was takikng the practice guides, I think I was getting mostly B's and some C's and like a D in word knowlege. But I ended up with a AFQT of 80 and qualify for every school for the coast guard.
    ScottSky

--
    10 Dec 2009 06:37 PM
    yeah, out of the practice test im missing like, 0 problems in all sections except the word knowledge. some of those are tricky and im missing like 5-6 out of the 35 problems. but when it comes to the math word problems and the basic math knowledge, i rarely even miss 2-3 of them. Maybe 1 or 2 at most, and once i check the answer its usually cause i didnt something stupid. so im feeling confident in it, i just wanna get that word knowledge part up higher. because its that section and the paragraphs that make up the VE score, and I dont loose any of the paragraph questions either.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AET2b

--
    10 Dec 2009 10:24 PM
    Don't worry, you are going to do fantastic! Like I said I think I got a pretty good score and I was doing worse than you are on those pre tests. It will be a breeze for you! Good luck burger burger

ScottSky

--
    10 Dec 2009 10:35 PM
    Thanks, appreciate it :)
    Cant wait for the 22nd!
    How soon do they normally schedule the physical after the test? I'm not doing both in one day, my recruiter wanted me to focus on studying and do it one at a time.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AET2b

--
    11 Dec 2009 05:27 AM
    Well mine was diffrent because I have to fly from MT to UT each time to see my reqruiter/meps. So mine was proabably farther apart than most. it was probably about a month.

ScottSky

--
    11 Dec 2009 05:30 AM
    Oh i see. Yah i feel lucky then, it's like a 20 minute drive for me. and MEPS is probly another 5 minutes farther.
    ScottSky

--
    22 Dec 2009 11:47 PM
    well, I took the test today, afqt is a 69. not too shabby, i qualify for every job except MST which im not stressing over. Monday im going to call my recruiter and find out a date to go get the physical.

Thanks for all the help/support guys.

also, "asvab for dummies" is an amazing book! and so is freerice.com to help out those who need to study!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    Bored of Desk Jobs

--
    23 Dec 2009 02:03 AM
    I haven't played on FreeRice.com in a long time. FUN GAME! =D

It all begins February 16th 2010!

" height="200" width="200" quality="high" loop="infinite" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgiP1_Prod_Version=Shockwaveflash">

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AET2b

--
    23 Dec 2009 05:40 AM
    Alright! Good job. I bet you fell that it was well worth all the study time. jumpin Good luck on all the medical stuff. Make sure you are prepared with any paperwork you may need.

Someone may be able to give you some advice if you have any current/past medical conditions.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    23 Dec 2009 11:57 AM
    Congrats!! MEPS physical stuff isn't all that bad, or wasn't for me. The only thing I had a problem with was the urinalysis. I am THE mos NOT-SHY person, but shy bladder suuuuuucks. Just make sure you are completely honest with everything, and try to enjoy yourself. You're going to be doin a whole lot of hurry-up-and-waiting. Talk to the other people with you and have fun with the staff ( If they're in the mood ).
    Where are you out of?

-Pain is weakness leaving the body.
     -It's 5 o'clcok somewhere.
     - So can you tell me what exactly does freedon mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be.

ScottSky

--
    23 Dec 2009 04:08 PM
    I would be attending the Tampa MEPS (Florida) but i live right outside of Tampa.

and yeah im not really worried about the physical, i dont have any past medical or health issue or nothing like that, never have even broken a bone. So im lookin forward to this. I have to call my recruiter on Monday and follow up with him and were gonna see if we can get a date set.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    24 Dec 2009 01:19 AM
    Dear "ScottSky" :

I wish you the very best of luck, success, and that your goals are all fulfilled.

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    "My sons are the loves of my life"

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    "My sons are the loves of my life"
    ScottSky

--
    24 Dec 2009 05:05 AM
    ^ Thank you very much, I appreciated that. Merry Christmas :)
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    CSAYank

--
    24 Dec 2009 02:21 PM
    Sweet dude, should be a breeze for ya then! I'm out of Miami MEPS, live in Boca Raton. The people there were pretty cool. One older doctor seemed annoyed, but other than that it was enjoyable. I didn't get much heckling because I'm going in to the Coast Guard, more questions than anything. Enjoy bud.

-Pain is weakness leaving the body.
     -It's 5 o'clcok somewhere.
     - So can you tell me what exactly does freedon mean, if I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be.

ScottSky

--
    14 Jan 2010 07:50 PM
    Recruiter just now called me back with news on my physical he's been real busy lately so he kinda got tied up with other things, no big deal. Anyways, my physical date is Jan 26th. so like a week and a half away. Cant wait!!!

Any tips advice? i know its a physical, cant really prepare to much for it, but any advice or anything would be great :)

Thanks!
    cgfowen22

--
    14 Jan 2010 08:37 PM
    Hey good luck, I was very nervous about taking my phyical because of the unknown. The worst part was the pee test, just imagine 7 guys lined up 3 feet infront of urinal with 1 meps personel on each end of the line fulfilling their darkest secrets. lol Other than that it is just alot of waiting, but does run pretty smoothly considering the amount of people they check. I would def. bring a magazine or book to read, or the helmsman.    Best of luck, p.s. practice the duck walk.jumpin
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    14 Jan 2010 09:21 PM
    Ya, I had to pee extremely bad, went to do the test, and suddenly it was a nogo. they turned all these fans on and made us drink water lol. don't lie too.

Stationed in Key West, FL
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

ScottSky

--
    15 Jan 2010 05:22 AM
    haha nice. and i keep hearing about this duck walk lol. maybe i should practice haha.

im just looking forward to it!!

and like stated above im just scared of the unknown, but the physical should go smooth :)
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement