Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Feeling Down as dans leaving again
Last Post 17 Jan 2010 06:15 AM by husband. 48 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
luvmycoastie

--
29 Dec 2009 03:07 AM
    Well today it hit me hard that Dan is leaving again, he will be leaving in 4 day for Detroit. He will be there for 4 years. Helping him book his ticket made me so sad as I was going to go with him and help him. He will be arriving on the 1st we don’t even know if his Apartment is going to be ready for move in. It might not be ready until the 4th and even than he has 0 furniture. And when I say 0 I mean he does not even have a cup or sheets or a bed. He has never had his own place before, than he has to look for a vehicle. We have been looking on line and tonight he just tried some on line finance thing at some Ford dealership but as he just turned 19 he has not got any built up credit so im not sure how that is going to go. He talked to some guy at jeep and they were rude they would not give him the time off day and said they would not even talk about cars unless he got a co applicant. I’m so worried about him he arrives at almost 7pm in the snow and the Airport is about 30 mins away from his Apartment and I hope his able to get a taxi there…. I’m so stressed at the moment and feeling down :-( I just wish I could go and help him but my kids have to go back to school on the 4th and 3 kids 3 different school UHHHH. I just wish he knew someone there and he wasn’t going alone

Julie Proud Mom to
    Danny
    Coast Guard Sector Detroit.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    29 Dec 2009 03:21 AM
    It will be an adventure for him, discovering new places. Plus, doing for himself will be a big confidence builder.

FWIW, we had to cosign in order for our son to buy a car before he left for his first station.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    luvmycoastie

--
    29 Dec 2009 03:36 AM
    I have a feeling im going to cosign which i dont mind a all, i trust him 100%. I think his in shock right now with all the things he has to do poor guy im not sure he knows what to do first haha. Good thing is his Apartment is only 6 mins from work!!.

I do agree that doing for himself will be a big Confidence Builder and it will show him that he can do it, but at the same time its so hard not to worry as much !!! UHHH this sucks LOL

Julie Proud Mom to
    Danny

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    29 Dec 2009 06:37 AM
    Dear "luvmycoastie" (Julie) :

I read your post and immediately felt sad for you. I pretty much know how you feel right now. I've gone through what I call "two 4-yr. goodbyes": my oldest son leaving for 4 years to go to college, and now Ian leaving for 4 years to his station. When my oldest son left for college, he was the 1st, of course, leaving the nest. Ian was still home, but I was used to both of them being home. And I went through the "empty nest syndrome" really bad, because I missed him so much. Also, him leaving for college was one of those milestones, naturally saying that he's not my little boy anymore and he's grown-up. I've known mothers who were okay with it and others who weren't, like me. Same thing for some fathers I've known, when their daughters leave home. My oldest didn't have any furniture, no car, no knick-knacks, only a set of sheets for his bed and his clothes. He also didn't know anyone at all and the campus has over 32,000 students.
    Everyone is different how they handle these things, and I was one of those emotional ones. He's now graduating in a few months - the 4 years are up - but Ian has started his now. I send the most sincere wishes to you and your son, that everything will go well, and that you'll both be fine.

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    "My sons are the loves of my life"

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    29 Dec 2009 03:29 PM
    Dan is not going to Detroit alone. He should have received a welcome aboard package from his command by now. If not he should contact Sector Detroit, and explain the situation. They will take care of him. He is not going to be alone. He is not the first to report to a new unit under the same or worse circumstances. There are always OS's on duty, all he has to do is call. Odds are he will talk to one of his supervisors, and begin to develop a professional relationship. In my experience, keeping your supervisors informed, and asking for help is a sign of maturity and independence in the CG. Two very important traits every Coastie needs to posses.

"When you fall on your face you are still moving forward."

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    texascgmom

--
    29 Dec 2009 04:38 PM
    Gears is right. My "boys" are on their own in Cleveland and loving it. Just got back from a visit up there and they are doing great. Dan will be fine and will have alot of support from his sector. Everyone was so friendly at the stations I visited and go out of their way to help if the boys need anything. On the car situation - if Dan has saved up any money maybe he could buy a used car for cash and not have to finance anything. Tyler still has his car from high school with 190,000 miles on it ('97 sunfire). He wants to buy another car but I told him to wait till after winter so that he is used to driving in the snow. Wouldn't want him to total a new vehicle. So he's saving his money to be able to move up in car this spring. He hasn't driven in the snow and winter conditions very much in South Texas and after this weekend I told him he needed to wait. Boy there are some crazy drivers up there and it gives him a chance to learn how to drive in those conditions. Just my .02.

Tina
    Proud Mom of SN Lueders
    Sta. Fairport, Ohio

"MoM" to FN Coover
    Station Cleveland Harbor, Ohio

My "Guardians of the Great Lakes"

Proud Mom to SN Lueders - "Mom" to FN Coover - Soon to be AET's
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    luvmycoastie

--
    29 Dec 2009 10:43 PM
    Gears

I have no idea about the package im going to have to ask him about that. From the sounds out it dan is going to have great support when he gets there, i think more than he really knows which is great to hear.

Julie Proud Mom to
    Danny

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    30 Dec 2009 12:16 PM
    Typically a welcome aboard package is sent to new members from their sponsors at the new unit. Usually a 2nd Class Petty Officer. It would contain a description of the duty rotation, qualifications, BAH rate, places to live, and general info. about the unit. If he hasn't received one for any reason have him contact Sector Detroit ASAP. If nothing else he should touch base with someone there to let them know he is in fact alive, and so they can address any concerns he might have.

He will have plenty of support when he gets there. All he ever has to do is let someone know what is going on. I do recommend finding him a car before goes though, or shortly after he gets there, perhaps as a "gift" for completing his qualifications? Last time I was there Sector Detroit wasn't exactly in an affluent neighborhood, he'll want to be able to get away from the city and see what the rest of MI, and Windsor have to offer. If you want some specifics feel free to PM me.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Trusted Member
    E

--
    30 Dec 2009 02:51 PM
    as far as financing a car, It's extremely hard being 19 and trying to get a dealer to give you the time of day. I went to a dealer to check out new cars as I got the oil changed on my car, they were totally rude to me saying I didnt know what it takes to finance/buy a car, and then a guy came out and told me my car was ready, they turned and saw the car I have, and then they were nicer than anything to show me a car. Financing at 19 is hard to, ive heard a couple people to say to check out the US MILES program, you have to be in for 4 or 6 months, but your time in BC counts. I didn't get my welcome aboard packet until I was already on the way. texasmom is right let them get used to driving in that weather, im used to country driving so this stop and go island traffic scares me sometimes.

Stationed in Key West, FL
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. -John 15:13

teachergal

--
    31 Dec 2009 04:05 AM
    Julie,
    Sounds like you got a lot of good advice and there will be support for Dan. I'm sure he will be fine. And, thank goodness for cell phones to keep in touch. But still, we moms worry...I know I did when Ian took off for Alaska in his truck last July...But, they learn and they become stronger young men because of the situation they are put in. Before you know it, you will be telling us how proud you are of him for making the move and setting up his own apartment...Hang in there friend...
    lynne

Proud mom of
    Ian McCracken
    USCGC Acushnet
    Ketchikan, AK

Proud mom of
    Ian McCracken
    USCGC Acushnet
    Ketchikan, AK
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ian56s Mom

--
    31 Dec 2009 05:26 AM
    Julie - today is the 30th - 2 days since you posted this thread. I hope you are doing okay.

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"

Debbie
    "Ian56's mom"
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    31 Dec 2009 05:33 AM
    i know a guy stationed in sector detroit. and getting your own place isnt that bad...i've been living on my own since i was 17 and had a car and car payment since i was 16.  i would say he should get a motorcycle because they are cheaper than cars, but he's in detroit...i doubt it ever gets above 50 there..

OS3 Husband
    Sector St. Petersburg, FL

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    31 Dec 2009 12:16 PM
    Teachergal,

You are absolutely right. Mom's do worry, and rightfully so. But, we always have support from our shipmates. No matter where we are in the world there is going to be somebody watching our backs, even when we are watching someone else's.

OS3,

It does get above 50 in Detroit. But, summer only lasts about 96 hours, during July. He's much better off with a car. Or, in the case of Detroit an armored tank.

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    31 Dec 2009 12:42 PM
    In the midwest, the summers are pretty warm. 90's are rare but 80's are common.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    luvmycoastie

--
    31 Dec 2009 05:33 PM
    Thank you all, i am feeling much better and know he will do good. It is a comfort to know that he has a lot off people around him to help him. Dan just needs to learn to ask for the help when needed.
    I know with this move he is going to grow and mature a lot more and learn a lot off life lessons.

Julie Proud Mom to
    Danny

<!-- Edit -->

Last Edited : 12/31/2009 9:36:04 AM GMT

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    mis3gal

--
    31 Dec 2009 09:53 PM
    The guys help each other out. My son ended up in an apartment with no furnishing, no pans and...surprise....a heating system that doesn't work well. I think it's 50 something in his apartment. While on the cutter he mentioned that he had gotten an apartment (the military rents a few of the buildings) and another coastie who lived their too drove him back and forth. Someone who was going to A school in a few weeks said he could have his table, couch and bed. I guess they just pass it around. Another fellow lent him an air mattress to sleep on until he got the bed. One of the coasties who has lived there a few years advised him where to go to get a good used car, and a mechanic from his cutter volunteered to go with him to check out the car. I told him to check the thrift store for whatever he needed and just clean it really well, and when he came home I gave him a few older things to help him get by. He got dish clothes, towels and dawn for Christmas. I'm learning to back off and let him work things out himself. It's more of an adjustment for me than for him ;)

Mom to a FN on a cutter in the Atlantic.

Mom to a FN on a cutter in the Atlantic.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    31 Dec 2009 10:13 PM
    I kicked Colin out of the car at the base gate, wished him luck and drove away. Well, maybe not that harsh. I did drive him up to the ship with his seabag and stuff. I helped him carry his stuff over to the ship and the MAA shack (yeah, I know it isn't an MAA, I just don't remember what it's called on a boat). They paged his sponsor, he was on leave, they found someone else to help him carry his bags and he was gone. I got back in the car and went to the North Church and did a really wonderful walking tour of Boston. Colin was in their hands at that point... he was either going to sink or swim!

He called me around 4 o'clock and said they cut him loose, we could go out for dinner. So I went back to the base and out we went. He was on the ship a whopping 6 hours and had 4 stories to tell me already. I knew I had nothing to worry about.

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    luvmycoastie

--
    31 Dec 2009 10:58 PM
    Can someone answer this dan was just on the US miles page for car financing ans 2 things he is not sure off. It askes for Dates on to things???
    EAS/ETS/EAOS
    Pay Entry Base Date

He has no idea what this is does any one has an ideas??

Julie Proud Mom to
    Danny

Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    01 Jan 2010 12:30 AM
    End of Active Service / Expiration, Term of Service / End of Active Obligated Service

Pay Entry Base Date is the bookend, the date you start active obligated service.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    luvmycoastie

--
    01 Jan 2010 01:48 AM
    Thank you Wepprop

Julie Proud Mom to
    Danny

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    01 Jan 2010 08:55 PM
    Oldguard said...
    I helped him carry his stuff over to the ship and the MAA shack (yeah, I know it isn't an MAA, I just don't remember what it's called on a boat).

It's called the Quarter Deck.

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    01 Jan 2010 11:25 PM
    Gears,

What's that little shack thingy... before the gangway... also not the right words! Can you tell I had NO boat experience from my husband. Ships were for other people, Jimmy just wanted to inspect them and leave them!

Macie

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    husband

--
    02 Jan 2010 05:28 AM
    The shack thingy would be the quarterdeck :P lol

OS3 Husband
    Sector St. Petersburg, FL

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Jan 2010 02:17 PM
    Shack - Quarter Deck Place where the magic happens - Engine Room
    Gangway - Brow Place that smells funny- Galley
    Front - Bow Place to watch BMs- Bridge
    Back - Stern Place to find BMs - Rack
    Right side facing the bow - Starboard
    Left facing the bow - Port
    Wall - Bulkhead
    Ceiling - Overhead
    Bathroom - Head
    Center - Amidships
    Bed - Rack
    Food - Chow

I may have missed a few if anyone else wants to add some. ;)

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    02 Jan 2010 02:18 PM
    Read carefully, it all got crammed together...

Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    04 Jan 2010 06:27 PM
    that gave me a chuckle......the shack thingy. lots of new people here i see.

julie~dan received all of that stuff. i know it is hard not to worry, but they are waiting for him up there in detroit and someone will be available to point him in the right direction. britt didn't have anything but clothes when she left for virginia. as of now she has rented a house, found a roommate, hooked up utilities, and done lots of shopping for needed items. dan will do well, i am certain.

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Jan 2010 09:05 PM
    Jen,

You know I'm not new to any of this... I just couldn't remember what the hell the shack thingy was called. I call it the shack thingy to Colin and he knows what I mean! :) He laughs at me, but he knows what I mean!

:-)

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    05 Jan 2010 12:59 AM
    where the bleep have you been and why don't you answer your txts anymore? you mad at me or is there a major drama occuring?

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~Benjamin Franklin

~Jen~
    Trusted Member
    jen899193

--
    05 Jan 2010 01:03 AM
    and the quarterdeck (shack thingy)......leaves a non rate in alaska a lot of time and ample time to burn her mothers phone up with txt messages as she sits in that shack freezing her tiny behind off!!! lololol

Jen

Proud Coastguard Mom of

OS3 Church, Brittney R.
    Camslant Chesapeake, VA

~Jen~
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 Jan 2010 01:37 AM
    I have been here, you haven't texted me in a month except for a quick Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! And please, my life not have drama! When does that happen! If there isn't drama, I'm probably dead!

I have got 4 of them chasing me now! HAHAHAHA

Proud mom of
    SN Robertson, Colin
    USCGC Seneca

Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement