Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
YN-YEOMAN
Last Post 08 Apr 2018 10:45 PM by CPORJM. 111 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
23 Sep 2012 08:39 PM
Here is some more information about different types of Yeoman which I haven't really seen mentioned any where.
Admin - These Yeoman handle the paperwork and do most of the member counseling.
SPO - These are the ones handling your Pay issues and entering things into direct access.
Legal - They assist lawyers, I am sure there is more to it but I am not sure.
Admin Assistant - Your a secretary.
If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
06 Oct 2012 07:39 AM
I was just talking with some shipmates and the topic of priority choice on your station while in A-school came up. Some say it's based on grades, so top student gets top pick. But since the YN A-school is only 8 weeks, some say that it is based on your previous station (Overseas get first pick, Small Boat Stations get last, etc).
Which is it?
"Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
06 Oct 2012 10:54 AM
YN students get picks the first day they are there. Seatime gets first pick, time in service is next. So 6 months of seatime would beat out 16 months on land.
Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
06 Oct 2012 11:54 AM
WOW! The first day you're there!? Thats both awesome and crazy. I was kinda hoping my good study skills would get me ahead, but *sigh*. I guess it wont be so bad. I just hope I dont land somewhere God awful.
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
15 Oct 2012 12:31 PM
Hmmm, I've spoken to a few people and they say that the choice is grade based and that you find out around week 4 or 5. Has it changed just recently?
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
15 Oct 2012 01:41 PM
It was like that when my husband went through a year and a half ago, and friend of mine from bootcamp is about to graduate in the next couple of weeks and it was that way for her. So it's been that way for a while
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
16 Oct 2012 07:44 AM
I just asked the people who came from "A" school this summer and they said it was sea time first, followed by time in service. So unless it is really recent I haven't heard.
If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
16 Oct 2012 10:55 PM
So apparently you still get your picks the first day, but you dont find out where you are going for a few more weeks. So that part has changed apparently.
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
05 Nov 2012 05:56 AM
Seems like an odd way of doing things but HEY, if it works it works.
robbyd1

--
05 Jan 2013 07:27 PM
Hey. I received orders to school starting the end of feb. any pointers? I've been in over 4 years. What's the pt like? When do we get out picks of stations? What's the dress like?
Livindalife

--
05 Jan 2013 09:48 PM
For yn a school its trops Monday - Wednesday and ODUs thursday and friday. PT is usually a group sport but nothing to hard. You usually get picks by the end of the first week and know by Monday the following week where your going.
TNCoastie

--
15 Jan 2013 02:27 PM
I am thinking of putting my name on the YN A school list fairly soon, i just have to get fully qualified at my station first...my question is, are the Trops monday-wednesday a new policy? I was in OS A School for a while (disenrolled) and there was a rumor going around that SK's,YN's and OS's would have to wear Trops as their uniform of the day. Just curious.
Livindalife

--
15 Jan 2013 06:26 PM
For YN a school yes its trops Monday-Wednesday.
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
15 Jan 2013 07:13 PM
It was that way for my husband almost 2 years ago.
robbyd1

--
23 Jan 2013 06:24 PM
Thanks for the replys. Any other tips or useful knowledge?
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
23 Jan 2013 07:16 PM
Yes. Do the job because helping people is something that you genuinely enjoy doing. Do the job because you don't mind being in a support role instead of an operational one. Don't just do the job because there's less sea time involved or because it appears easy on the outside. We need more people in the support ratings that are doing it because that is what they really want to do.
You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
24 Jan 2013 12:32 PM
Amen Cooch.
CGNY2013

--
24 Jan 2013 01:24 PM
Is there opportunity for a YN Reservist to take part in boat crew training and ops? I have owned my own businesses for around 10 years now and am great with administration. I am processing for CG Reserves and my recruiter and I both agree I would be a big asset to the CG as a YN and I am excited to do my part. However, I also have a passion for boating and would love to get involved in the operations aspect as well, even if it meant as a volunteer outside of my YN duties. Any thoughts?
"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream." C. S. Lewis
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
24 Jun 2013 11:53 AM
Someone just mentioned to me that you do the PT test in Yeoman A-school, and after that you just get weighed in. I went to the website and it says it 'encourages you to maintain your normal physical fitness', but says nothing about a test. Any thoughts?
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
25 Jun 2013 12:26 AM
Everyone that goes to a-school in Petaluma takes the PT test the first week, which is "Indoc week". It doesn't mean much, its just for your knowledge.  You get weighed the first day. If you don't make weight, you will kicked out.
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
25 Jun 2013 09:21 AM
We did a PT test and a weigh in the first week. We also did regular class sports a few times a week, stuff like flag football or ultimate frisbee. You get weighed in again during the last week before graduation.
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
25 Jun 2013 04:54 PM
Oh yay, sports!

FloridaGirl, what does 'its just for your knowledge' mean? So there are people that fail the PT test but still continue and pass A-school so long as they are an appropriate weight?

Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
25 Jun 2013 06:48 PM
Correct. They tell you that you wont get liberty your first weekend if you fail, but I've never seen that happen.
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
28 Jun 2013 12:21 PM
Oh, well thats good I suppose. I would imagine that most of the jobs at Petaluma dont really require anyone to run a mile and a half for their duty anyway
Trusted Member
Gears

--
28 Jun 2013 01:04 PM
I would imagine that most of the jobs at Petaluma dont really require anyone to run a mile and a half for their duty anyway

I can't think of any job that requires an individual to run a mile and a half in the CG. The PT Test is about endurance, can you sustain yourself physically in a high stress situation? Plus, it's pretty important to stay with in weight standards these days, so running the PT test periodically doesn't hurt.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
28 Jun 2013 01:42 PM
I agree, but some people at my station, including myself, prefer the lesser impact of the swim test. I rock at that, but running's one of my least favorite things in the world (for running sake anyway), although I'm looking forward to the team sports mentioned earlier
Trusted Member
Gears

--
28 Jun 2013 02:21 PM
I couldn't pass the run if I was being chased by a lion. I blow away the swim though. When I was at the Sta the command wasn't supportive of the swim test until I did the 500 yds in 6:30.. That seemed to make everyone happy.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
28 Jun 2013 04:11 PM
But he can run like the wind if he is chasing a pretty girl! LOL

Sorry, I shouldn't divulge secrets. HAHAHAHA
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Gears

--
28 Jun 2013 05:28 PM
But he can run like the wind if he is chasing a pretty girl! LOL

Incentive helps.
onceafireman

--
09 Jul 2013 09:19 AM
I am currently on the A School list and the distance learning list for YN. My curent plans are to accept my A school orders if they come before DL which is way more likely (not even sure if i want to do DL any longer, but do not want to be removed just yet). My question is this, as a YN-3 what type of billet am I looking at? Which of the four types, type of unit, or maybe a location that is low on YN-3s (if that exists). Any advice or resources would be great.

My plans are to move myself and my civilian husband to my PCS and hopefully get him enrolled in automotive mechanics or similar schooling program of his choice. Possibly start a family if he can find a stable job above min. wage.

My aboslute dream billet would be somewhere in or near Wilwaulkee, WI. I have fallen in love with that city while visiting growing up.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement