Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
YN-YEOMAN
Last Post 08 Apr 2018 10:45 PM by CPORJM. 111 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>
Author Messages
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
09 Jul 2013 10:36 AM
Really? Milwaukee? I live in Wisconsin... trust me, nice place to visit... living here sucks! I mean we each have our own dream place but I have a feeling you'll be glad Milwaukee is just a blip on the radar screen and you'll get to transfer. It is anything but ideal. However, you have to do what makes you happy and why not experience it if you can!

As far as what location may be low on YN3's, that is impossible to guess right now. You don't even have orders to school. What is low today may be over billeted tomorrow. So there is no way to predict that future. I think getting your hubby into a school like you suggest is a great idea. Something that he can take with him as you move for your career. Any profession that can easily move around is a great choice. Everywhere you go someone will have a car or truck that needs to be fixed. So mechanics is never a bad choice.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Gears

--
09 Jul 2013 02:36 PM
As a YN3 you will likely go to a SPO or a large cutter (think 378' or NSC). As far as billets go, in school you'll get a list of what's available to your class. You'll put them in order of preference and hope for the best. Sector Lake Michigan (Milwaukee) is really small, you would be cosmically lucky if was available out of "A" school. You should contact them and find out if they have a YN3 billet.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
09 Jul 2013 08:27 PM
My husband went to Sector Lake Michigan right out of a-school. So it is possible, but as others have said, the stars have to align just right.
Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
10 Jul 2013 09:24 AM
At "A" school your billet list will probably look something like this.
PPC Topeka
Random Base
PPC Topeka
Random Cutter
PPC Topeka
Random Base
PPC Topeka
PPC Topeka
PPC Topeka
Etc..PPC Topeka

If it is during transfer season then it will probably look like this:
PPC Topeka
If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
10 Jul 2013 09:34 AM
Well Topeka is the height of US travel... everyone wants to go there! LOL
Sector NY, Staten Island
Trusted Member
Gears

--
10 Jul 2013 10:28 AM
Many moons ago, I asked my recruiter where the CG gets stationed. He gave me the standard answer of the Coastal US including Hawaii, Guam, Alaska, PR and Kansas.

Me: Kansas? How do you guard the coast from Kansas?
Recruiter: You don't see any of the coast missing do you?
Me: Where do I sign?

True story.
“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
10 Jul 2013 02:05 PM
I tell people we are here to guard the amber waves of grain.
If you were hoping for the A Team you will be sorry to know you got the F Troop.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
10 Jul 2013 03:00 PM
The Ohio River Valley is known as, "The Cornfield Coast Guard."
onceafireman

--
12 Jul 2013 12:53 PM
I would be fine with Kansas. MK1 Klinzing was one of my CCs and he joked about Kansas all the time I think I was the only one thinking Kansas wouldn't be a bad gig, neither would Ohio River area. Both those places are similar to the corn field and agriculture based Illinois I grew up in and love! I think the idea of such unknows just make me nervous and now its not just for my well being but my husbands and he sometimes hada realy hard time understanding the Coast Guard and military ways. I try my best to explain things to him and its even harder being a non-rate with so little expirence to tell him what it could be like not just how it is right now.
Trusted Member
Gears

--
12 Jul 2013 01:28 PM
I try my best to explain things to him and its even harder being a non-rate with so little expirence to tell him what it could be like not just how it is right now.

Rest assured once you're rated life changes for the better. Not every unit operates the same as a Station, and as a YN I don't think you'll ever be going back to one. For me the unknowns are the best part of the job.. You never know who you might meet, or what they might say.
Basic Member
Basic Member
NargilFenris

--
12 Jul 2013 10:25 PM
Very few stations have YNs and I think they are all independent duty YN2s.
buoycritter

--
04 May 2014 06:48 AM
I am going to be heading over to YN "A" school this summer. Does anyone have any tips that they learned that they can pass along? Specific items that are helpful to have, etc? Thanks
prorodeo100

--
07 Aug 2014 05:16 AM
Posted By NargilFenris on 10 Jul 2013 09:24 AM
At "A" school your billet list will probably look something like this.
PPC Topeka
Random Base
PPC Topeka
Random Cutter
PPC Topeka
Random Base
PPC Topeka
PPC Topeka
PPC Topeka
Etc..PPC Topeka

If it is during transfer season then it will probably look like this:
PPC Topeka

Not sure where you came up with that list.  Nobody in my YN "A" school got a cutter or Topeka.  One person actually became a driver for a three star.  Just know that almost any place the Coast Guard is, you can be stationed.  Oklahoma, one person in my clas was stationed there and one in Kentucky as well.
prorodeo100

--
07 Aug 2014 05:20 AM
Posted By Livindalife on 15 Jan 2013 06:26 PM
For YN a school yes its trops Monday-Wednesday.

When I was there in '07 it was trops Monday-Thursday and ODUs Friday.  They must have changed it when Chief James left.
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
07 Aug 2014 08:47 AM
Not sure where you came up with that list.  Nobody in my YN "A" school got a cutter or Topeka.  One person actually became a driver for a three star.  Just know that almost any place the Coast Guard is, you can be stationed.  Oklahoma, one person in my clas was stationed there and one in Kentucky as well.

What would be the point of using a Yeoman as a driver? It seems a waste of a rated person. Why not just use a non-rate?
"Zombieland Rule #32- Enjoy the little things."
ccs2014

--
08 Sep 2014 06:59 PM
Does anyone know, if in the past, more classes are added once a budget comes out for the next year? Or if the budget is even a factor? I am projected to go Jan 2015, just curious if I should expect to go sooner when the FY15 budget is released (of course, that is if it's released before January.)that's all,  thanks!
Trusted Member
Cooch

--
08 Sep 2014 07:34 PM
Budget plays a role, as well as separations and retirements. I would say by now, the schools should have their dates pretty much firmly set for the upcoming fiscal year. I wouldn't expect too many changes for the immediate future.
You can meet the standard, or you can set the standard. It's your choice.
ccs2014

--
09 Sep 2014 09:13 PM
Awesome thank you SKCS and congratulations on the promotion!
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
15 Sep 2014 12:02 PM
Currently in A-school and the billet list was really variable. No cutters, but this is what I remember
4 Kansas
2 Conneticut
3 Alaska
3 Virginia
2 Florida
1 Texas
1 Tennessee
2 California
...I might have forgotten one or two, but that's what it looked like this time
Also, we did Texas Hill last Thursday. I couldnt breathe due to alergies in the area, but muscle wise it wasnt as horrifying as some people make it out to be. And I am NOT a runner. The PT test was not too bad either. If you show effort, you pass.
Food is pretty good since I've been here too
Trusted Member
Gears

--
15 Sep 2014 12:49 PM
Kansas

Kind of a funny story.. Many moons ago when I was being recruited into the CG, I asked my recruiter (an MK1) where the CG is stationed. "We're all over the continental U.S., Hawaii, Guam, Puerto Rico.. Kansas."

"Kansas? How are you supposed to guard the coast from Kansas?"

"You don't see any of the coast missing do you?"

I signed my contract days later, my recruiter was awesome.
Basic Member
Basic Member
aztecmatt

--
09 Dec 2014 01:06 PM
I'm really interested in this rate and I ship to BC in February. If, during my time at BC, I'm still leaning towards this rate, should I put in my dream sheet that I am interested in this rating and hope to be put in a station with a YN so I can really observe and see if this is the rating for me? I just wouldn't want to be a non-rate at a small station without a YN and never really see what the job is like before I apply for A school. Also, the wait list is 3-6 months now, is that what it has been trending at lately? I'm hoping it doesn't increase by the time I apply.

Thanks!
joseywalez

--
09 Dec 2014 01:50 PM
It honestly doesn't matter what you put on your dream sheet, you go where your going to go. Honestly there isn't much to observe with the Yeoman rating. The only question you need to ask yourself is do you want to sit at a desk for 8 hours and go home almost ever night (unless on duty). I love being YN. I YNs I work with are agreat bunch of people, it's like a little family. You'll see as a non-rate how BMs and MKs treat each other. Obviously there are some YNs who are scetchy but overall we help each other when needed and I go home every night to be with my family. Anything you need to know about YN I can help you out.
Yeo1st

--
08 Jan 2015 11:06 AM
Yeoman "A" school is primarily about learning how a unit - any size unit operates.  You will learn more in this school in a "general business" manner than most any other outside of cadet training.  Once a person is trained in unit cohesion and personnel management,  most likely you will do one of two things:  You will either work at a unit in personnel or in unit priorities.  Although you are often called upon to be involved in your unit's primary mission, you are still a "Document's Petty Officer" first.  So while the other guys are taking care of your unit's equipment related to They're specialty (Machinist Mate, Boatswains Mate, Damage Control, etc.), you will be (chances are) at a computer, mail room, or even a Commander's personal secretary.  But YOU will have access to information and that is intended for 'the power's that be' to make decisions.  You will still stand duty - as ALL do.  And during operations of a mission (whether that's on a Search & Rescue or Pollution Investigation or servicing a LORAN Station) you will be in that ship/boat right along side your fellow comrades. 
  I would say the Advantage found in Yeoman "A" is the ability to use what you've learned in most any Business of any kind.  Unlike other "A" schools where you learn a specific 'trade' (Electrical, Communications, Plumbing, Cooking for many) where you're pretty much limited to Those jobs - A Yeoman can fit into most any well-paying job.  The training will also make most college courses quite easy to handle - giving your G.I. Bill more worth.  (I personally suggest making a habit of learning a second language - which will get you even farther in the World than you can imagine !!)

Cardinalmayhem

--
09 Mar 2015 05:27 AM
My husband is wanting to go to yeoman a school, but is this going to screw us location wise? We would really love to be stationed somewhere in district 13 where we are from or 11, or even the east coast. We were hoping him joining the coast guard would keep us away from landlocked states like Kansas and Texas. I know nothing is guaranteed, but would getting district13 or 11 even be an option?
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
09 Mar 2015 11:05 AM
Better look again at a map... Texas is NOT a landlocked state. There is a chance a YN could be in Kansas. But if you don't ask for it, it probably won't happen.
Sector NY, Staten Island
joseywalez

--
10 Mar 2015 07:30 AM
Actually Kansas has an above average possiblity because it is where PPC is. PPC has a large number of Yeoman compared to other locations. If your not picky about staying on the Coast then you have more of a possiblity not getting Kansas but every year there seems to be like 4 or 5 positions at PPC (more than anywhere else).
Basic Member
Basic Member
LauraDK

--
12 Mar 2015 08:12 AM
In my A-school, out of 24 picks, 4 wound up going to Topeka. They seem pretty content though. 2 wound up in Corpus Christi, and Texas City, TX.
newhope

--
01 Jul 2015 02:34 PM
I was told that YN A school is 8 weeks. Can anyone tell me when would be the check-in and check-out dates for the upcoming 4JAN16 YN A school? According to my calculations, Jan 1st and Feb 27th. Is this right?

Thanks
Basic Member
Basic Member
TheLonelyOS

--
02 Jul 2015 06:57 PM
All the convening class dates are on the actual A school lists at the top
A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
newhope

--
09 Jul 2015 03:47 PM
I can see the convening dates on the A-School list but I am actually wondering is when one would be finished. So if anyone who recently graduated from YN-A would share when he/she reported in and when the last day was, it'd be highly appreciated.

Thanks
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 3 of 4 << < 1234 > >>

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement