Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
YN-YEOMAN
Last Post 08 Apr 2018 09:45 PM by CPORJM. 111 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 4 << < 1234
Author Messages
Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
FloridaGirl

--
10 Jul 2015 05:55 PM
Monday (convening) to Friday is week 1. The 8th Friday is the end of week 8, but I believe YN students graduate on Thursdays. So...do the math. You check in the weekend before and out the day of graduation. When you get orders, you will get your exact dates.
Honor: if you need it defined, you don’t have it.
quickblur

--
11 Sep 2015 09:48 PM
I was browsing the A-school list http://www.uscg.mil/epm/AO/Non-Rate...ements.asp and noticed that the Yeoman distance program had recently been updated with a big "SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE"

Any gouge on what happened to it? Just curious more than anything.
COLORADOKID17

--
30 Dec 2015 07:08 PM
I have been looking into a few different rates but have narrowed it down between OS and YN. I know both rates are similar billet wise. As a YN would I be on any 210's or is it mostly just NSC's?

If I were a land billet as an OS it would most likely be a sector but I heard they are trying to push more OS's to get seatime is this the same for a YN?

Last question I promise, Is YN A school the same as OS for choosing of billets based upon time in service and sea time?
Basic Member
Basic Member
stealthtt24

--
16 Jan 2016 06:47 PM
We have a YN on our 210, it's considered independent duty. There's definitely enough work on them as a YN.
seklund87

--
09 Feb 2016 10:12 AM
How long do I have to be a YN3 to upgrade to YN2?

And for YN2 to YN1?
seklund87

--
24 Feb 2016 12:58 PM
Any idea on where a YN3 is likely to be stationed?
DannyM

--
10 May 2016 08:10 AM
Is this a good rate for people interested in the Social Work field?  Sounds like the closest thing in the Coast Guard if I wanted to get a rate similar to my ideal civilian career, but I'm not sure if they're actually really at all related.
Sheepdog

--
27 Jul 2016 06:47 PM
Posted By Yeo1st on 08 Jan 2015 11:06 AM
Yeoman "A" school is primarily about learning how a unit - any size unit operates.  You will learn more in this school in a "general business" manner than most any other outside of cadet training.  Once a person is trained in unit cohesion and personnel management,  most likely you will do one of two things:  You will either work at a unit in personnel or in unit priorities.  Although you are often called upon to be involved in your unit's primary mission, you are still a "Document's Petty Officer" first.  So while the other guys are taking care of your unit's equipment related to They're specialty (Machinist Mate, Boatswains Mate, Damage Control, etc.), you will be (chances are) at a computer, mail room, or even a Commander's personal secretary.  But YOU will have access to information and that is intended for 'the power's that be' to make decisions.  You will still stand duty - as ALL do.  And during operations of a mission (whether that's on a Search & Rescue or Pollution Investigation or servicing a LORAN Station) you will be in that ship/boat right along side your fellow comrades
  I would say the Advantage found in Yeoman "A" is the ability to use what you've learned in most any Business of any kind.  Unlike other "A" schools where you learn a specific 'trade' (Electrical, Communications, Plumbing, Cooking for many) where you're pretty much limited to Those jobs - A Yeoman can fit into most any well-paying job.  The training will also make most college courses quite easy to handle - giving your G.I. Bill more worth.  (I personally suggest making a habit of learning a second language - which will get you even farther in the World than you can imagine !!)

This is great to hear. I didn't want to just be stuck behind a computer. So you are saying that Yeomen still can go out on SAR and do some LE out on the seas?

I am not a big mechanical type guy. I am good with people. Law enforcement and security I can do. Rescue and medical I enjoy. But I am not big with construction, mechanics, physical labor, engineering, and so forth.

I am going to have a Bachelor's in Social Work and almost tried to lateral move into a position within the USMC when I was in that focused on people's careers in the military, billets available, helping them with packages, and so forth. Career counselor of sorts. I really enjoy that.

I am thinking of Yeoman or ME. Your thoughts? (Open question to all as well, please -- thanks!)
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
ebee

--
28 Jul 2016 10:22 AM
If you are a YN on a big boat you will definitely have the opportunity to get involved in things like help ops, damage control, and even boardings, but those things are considered collateral duties. The majority of your workday will be spent at a computer and it will be up to you to get those extra qualifications in your free time. Just keep that in mind.

Overall, though, if you want the best of both worlds, I recommend getting underway.
Sheepdog

--
28 Jul 2016 01:08 PM
Thank you. So it essentially is not a guarantee or something I can really choose (to go underway)? In essence, primary work and only sure thing would be admin work.
JRM

--
04 Sep 2016 09:40 PM
Hello everyone I have a question that I haven't found an answer to. I am considering different rates and one of them in YN. I really would like to go to school (college) while in the CG. Would YN be a good rate to do that. I know this can depend on which unit I might be stationed at but for the most part would being a YN give me the most liberty or time to go to college at the same time in the afternoons?

Also if anyone has gone to school with serving, have you taken classes at your local college or done them online? if online, which are some schools that work with the military? Thanks for all the help.
Basic Member
Basic Member
stealthtt24

--
05 Sep 2016 02:27 AM
I'm currently taking a class online as a non rate on a cutter. I can't image how easy it would be as a YN at a sector or any land unit.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
06 Sep 2016 12:41 PM
Posted By JRM on 04 Sep 2016 10:40 PM
but for the most part would being a YN give me the most liberty or time to go to college at the same time in the afternoons?

I know a lot of people join the military for the college money. I get it, that's a sweet incentive to serve. However, if you are looking for a rating where you will get the most liberty time to do what is best for you, seriously consider staying a civilian. It just sounds like you are using this to the best of all advantages for you and nothing towards needs of the service or needs of your shipmates.
Sector NY, Staten Island
JRM

--
22 Nov 2016 06:16 PM
I just wanted some information on the abilities to go to college while being a YN and serving in the CG. While I served in the Marines I had no time to go to school. I just want to make sure that I can get a degree while also serving.
Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CPORJM

--
25 Nov 2016 05:35 PM
Posted By JRM on 22 Nov 2016 07:16 PM
I just wanted some information on the abilities to go to college while being a YN and serving in the CG. While I served in the Marines I had no time to go to school. I just want to make sure that I can get a degree while also serving.
Much of that will depend on where you're stationed.  It goes without saying that if you're in a land billet, it will be easier to attend college than if you're in an afloat billet

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
JRM

--
05 Dec 2016 08:02 PM
thanks
Tanywka

--
07 Jan 2017 08:06 PM
How long did you wait for A school after completing basic training?
Thanks 
Pizarro94

--
09 Feb 2017 07:02 AM
Posted By Tanywka on 07 Jan 2017 09:06 PM
How long did you wait for A school after completing basic training?
Thanks 

When I talked to my recruiter he told me as reservist you'd go to A school within the year of joining, wait time was about 0-6 months. I don't know anything about AD
Shay

--
30 Apr 2017 03:42 PM
Also if anyone has gone to school with serving, have you taken classes at your local college or done them online? if online, which are some schools that work with the military?

Hey, I'm kinda late to this, but thought I'd join in just in case it's still helpful.

So first, I agree that any land billet will make it much easier to attend college than an afloat billet. Not only does the operational schedule of a cutter make it difficult to take classes, but you may not have great internet while underway. YN is a rate that is usually (but not always) land based.So yes, if its your goal to get a degree while in the Coast Guard, YN might be a good choice.

Second, picking a college- check out this list of top ranked military friendly colleges. I would personally search for one that allows you to earn your degree entirely online so that you don't have to transfer schools when you PCS to your next unit. I picked my college from this list- Fort Hays State U. I'm stationed on a cutter, and taking one class per semester is definitely difficult enough to manage, but I still recommend trying it. I'm using Tuition Assistance, which is a really great cg perk to take advantage of.

http://www.bestcolleges.com/feature...-colleges/
Trusted Member
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
mkelly

--
02 May 2017 05:21 PM
Tuition Assistance is expected to run out in May 2017 and will be suspended for the remainder of the fiscal year then re-evaluated.
seadog9

--
07 Apr 2018 10:48 PM
I’m interested in the yeomen rate. How long is the wait list for yeoman A school? Is A school at your own pace? Do yeomen have height and weight standards? I met a yeoman at meps and she kept saying she doesn’t have height and weight standards because she isn’t operational. What does that mean?
Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
CPORJM

--
08 Apr 2018 09:45 PM
Posted By seadog9 on 07 Apr 2018 11:48 PM
I’m interested in the yeomen rate. How long is the wait list for yeoman A school? Is A school at your own pace? Do yeomen have height and weight standards? I met a yeoman at meps and she kept saying she doesn’t have height and weight standards because she isn’t operational. What does that mean?

That means she's not being truthful.  CG members are weighed in every six months, April and October.  You have to meet those standards regardless of whether or not you're in an operational billet or not.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 4 of 4 << < 1234

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement